Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm shopping for a receiver for primarily home theater use. I would definitely like to stay under $500. I also like the idea of 6.1. I had sort of decided that the Onkyo TX-SR600 was the unit for me when I stumbled upon the Pioneer VSX-D811S. Now I'm not sure. Basically, they seem very much alike to me. The differences I have found are as follows:

The Onkyo has 192kHx/24-bit DACs on front channels and the Pioneer has 96kHx/24-bit.

The Onkyo has 2 optical and 1 coax input. The Pioneer has 3 optical and 2 coax inputs.

The Onky has a nicer remote? (Not sure about this one.)

The Onkyo costs $100 more.

The Onkyo has no pre-outs the Pioneer does.

The Onkyo has 6 speaker outs the Pioneer has 7.

This list seems to be in favor of the Pioneer. I understand that the two outputs on the rear channel of the Pioneer are really the same channel. Is this really the same as just hooking 2 speakers up to the single rear channel on the Onkyo? Can you do this with the Onkyo? Can the Pioneer do true 7.1 if you hooked it up with a 7.1 processor?

Did I miss any differences?

Thanks for your assistance,

Matt

·
Registered
138 Posts
The Onkyo has a minimum crossover frequency of 80 hz. The Pionner has one at 100 hz.

The Onkyo has the ability to adjust the parameters of DPLII, the Pioneer does not.

The Onkyo can set its speaker delays for each speaker. The Pioneer has global settings for the surrounds and the center.

The Onkyo does have some advantages, but it's up to you to decide what features you really want and if they are worth the difference in price. To be quite honest the Pioneer 811S at $300 stree has got to be one of the best deals in hometheater, but the Onkyo is not far behind.

-Matt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.