AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony Bravia KDL40EX500, LG 42LE5400, Samsung UN40C6300

I'll be using it mostly for gaming and blu-ray movies. I would prefer to get LED, but the higher end stuff is out of my price range and although I really liked what I saw from the samsung, I've read bad reviews on it and am hesitant to buy it.

Other two options I had in mind were the Samsung LN40C630/650, but again, I've read mixed reviews on it and I'm not sure if a samsung would be a good purchase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

How do you know if it's an IPS panel? I went to best buy today to check them out and I wasn't all too impressed with the LG. Maybe it was just that set? I don't know.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
SHORYUKENSF4 has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. He apparently bought an LG 32LE5400 that HE loves and he's not going to be satisfied until he tries to talk everyone else on this forum into loving it also. Well, that ain't gonna happen...

The LG and the Samsung you have on your list are both nice TVs. However, since both are Edge-Lit LED/LCDs, they "may" suffer from screen uniformity issues such as flashlighting and clouding, however minor. Some have reported cases from mild to severe, but it should also be noted that some people have a lower tolerence for perceived imperfections than others.

On the flip side, the Sony EX500 series has been one of the best reviewed TVs this year with most people reporting very few issues. It is a CCFL/LCD which provides good screen uniformity and black levels and nearly everybody who has one seems to like it.

My advice would be to look at all three, research their good and bad points, and make your decision based on facts, not just inane speculation from an ill-informed member with no data to back up his own personal choice.

You may indeed chose the LG, but if you do I sure wouldn't buy it based on SHORYUKENSF4's recommendation. There are a couple of threads on the 5300/5400 series and there are also threads on the Samsung UNxxC6300 and Sony EX500 series as well. Do yourself a favor and look at all of them.

Good luck and happy shopping.

·
Banned
126 Posts
Your post doesn't help him making a decision, but a bland rambling post. You don't even tell him why and how each of the TV is better. I only suggested up to look for IPS in LG, which many people have the best experience with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/19639574

SHORYUKENSF4 has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. He apparently bought an LG 32LE5400 that HE loves and he's not going to be satisfied until he tries to talk everyone else on this forum into loving it also. Well, that ain't gonna happen...

The LG and the Samsung you have on your list are both nice TVs. However, since both are Edge-Lit LED/LCDs, they "may" suffer from screen uniformity issues such as flashlighting and clouding, however minor. Some have reported cases from mild to severe, but it should also be noted that some people have a lower tolerence for perceived imperfections than others.

On the flip side, the Sony EX500 series has been one of the best reviewed TVs this year with most people reporting very few issues. It is a CCFL/LCD which provides good screen uniformity and black levels and nearly everybody who has one seems to like it.

My advice would be to look at all three, research their good and bad points, and make your decision based on facts, not just inane speculation from an ill-informed member with no data to back up his own personal choice.

You may indeed chose the LG, but if you do I sure wouldn't buy it based on SHORYUKENSF4's recommendation. There are a couple of threads on the 5300/5400 series and there are also threads on the Samsung UNxxC6300 and Sony EX500 series as well. Do yourself a favor and look at all of them.

Good luck and happy shopping.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHORYUKENSF4 /forum/post/19641974

Your post doesn't help him making a decision, but a bland rambling post. You don't even tell him why and how each of the TV is better. I only suggested up to look for IPS in LG, which many people have the best experience with.

The ex500 is a far superior set for image quality.

It wins for screen uniformity, black level contrast, ansi contrast, motion handling.

The lg wins by a slight margin for color accuracy and 10ms faster input lag.

The overall win is the ex500 by every competant reviewer on this site or any other on the web

1 - 11 of 11 Posts