AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So I just ordered the Micra 6 speaker system from Athena, and am also planning on upgrading the receiver.

The room I'm in is only about 12x12, and I will primarily using this to watch movies and play games. I'm not sure I will even be using the receiver to pass video, since it's just as easy for me to put the video directly to the TV. (I have a 40in Samsung LCD)

So my question is, what should I go with? I'm been looking at the Pioneer VSX-816, or a HK 147, or even an Onkyo 505. I'm just concerned with quality, and am not really worried about certain capabilities, (such as upconverting, conversions, etc) However I will probably use this receiver for some time, so I'm thinking perhaps I should try and get something well rounded.

So basically, My main concerns are the Audio Quality and Video Pass through degradation. Please suggest what you think would be the best receiver for me.

Price range $200-400

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
So my question is, what should I go with? I'm been looking at the Pioneer VSX-816, or a HK 147, or even an Onkyo 505. I'm just concerned with quality, and am not really worried about certain capabilities, (such as upconverting, conversions, etc) However I will probably use this receiver for some time, so I'm thinking perhaps I should try and get something well rounded.

I have the Pioneer 816 in my bedroom setup..Its a very nice receiver, reliable, easy interface and nice sound. But remember ...If you plan to have a blu-ray or Hd-dvd player, you cant get the best sound ( uncompressed audio) without an hdmi connection ( and some hdmi connections only pass video so you have to be carefull ).

If your not gonna get the new formats then the 816 would be a fine choice.

My son has an Onkyo is his bedroom and its basically on par with the 816.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujohny /forum/post/0

I have the Pioneer 816 in my bedroom setup..Its a very nice receiver, reliable, easy interface and nice sound. But remember ...If you plan to have a blu-ray or Hd-dvd player, you cant get the best sound ( uncompressed audio) without an hdmi connection ( and some hdmi connections only pass video so you have to be carefull ).

If your not gonna get the new formats then the 816 would be a fine choice.

My son has an Onkyo is his bedroom and its basically on par with the 816.

How can YOU tell if a receiver can pass uncompressed audio over HDMI? Any models in particular that you have in mind?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.