AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo HT-RC160 receiver (80 watts/channel) and am trying to decide between Polk Audio Monitor 50 (150 watts max, $100), 60 (200 watts max, $140), or 70 (275 watts max, $200) front channel speakers. Having 80 watts/channel to work with, is it worth the extra money for the higher capacity speakers, or is there nothing to gain unless I get higher power to them? Also, if anyone has a strong opinion that I should be looking at other speakers, I'd appreciate the input.

·
Registered
872 Posts
For music polks were too bright for me. Energys are warm and neutral. It's best to go listen to as many brands as possible with your own music to get a feel for what your taste is, bright, warm, neutral, Klipsch horns, etc. Radio shack had some $80 speakers with horns playing the other day and they sounded incredible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18194543

Any of those Polks will work with your recevier. Its a matter of how much do you want spend? Will you be adding a subwoofer too?

I've got my eye on the Polk PSW505 subwoofer. For now I'm just planning to get the front channels and the sub, and add more later as I can afford it. I have no problem spending the extra for the 70's if I can get better sound out of them. I want to have very strong fronts, and the 50's only have 2 x 5.25" drivers with a tweeter, whereas the 70's have 4 x 6.5" drivers and a tweeter. Do you think I will get much better sound out of the 70's than I will out of the 50's with only 80 watts going to them? Will I get more out of the additional drivers without giving them the additional power that they can handle?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman215 /forum/post/18207144

I've got my eye on the Polk PSW505 subwoofer. For now I'm just planning to get the front channels and the sub, and add more later as I can afford it. I have no problem spending the extra for the 70's if I can get better sound out of them. I want to have very strong fronts, and the 50's only have 2 x 5.25" drivers with a tweeter, whereas the 70's have 4 x 6.5" drivers and a tweeter. Do you think I will get much better sound out of the 70's than I will out of the 50's with only 80 watts going to them? Will I get more out of the additional drivers without giving them the additional power that they can handle?

The Onkyo you have will have Plenty of power to play the Monitor 70s

The Monitor line all need a minimum of 20 watts to get sound out. The monitor 70s need range power 20watts to 275watts. I know for a fact your reiceve will be fine with any of those speakers. The Monitor 70s cover a 30Hz -25k Hz; 60's cover 38Hz - 25k Hz; 50s cover 42Hz - 25k Hz

BTWs if you are planning to use this set-up for movies I suggest you buy center channel as well. With out a center your movie experience will be horrible. So when you are purchasing your front speakers include center channel along with front left and right

70s would need a Polk CS2 but the 60s & 50s will work CS2 or CS1.

If you can afford the 70's and CS2 to start that will be a good combo. The 70's going as low as 30hz limit the imediate need for a sub immediately. The Sub you are looking at only goes 7Hz lower than the Monitor 70s

·
Registered
100 Posts
You dont have to have a center right away going 2.1 to start is fine. Just set your receiver to phantom in the center for movies and the dialogue will be distributed to your mains. On my marantz Virtual Surround does the job, not sure what it is on the onky but I am pretty sure most receivers do this.

·
Registered
872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman215 /forum/post/18207144

PSW subs don't get good feedback on here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post17715439

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.