AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

i need help with choosing the right speakers drivers and 3-way crossover for my speaker build

i have received a floor-standing speakers from Germany as gift but honestly i think the drivers are of cheap type and sound quality is not that much for my Yamaha rx-a3030 ,or maybe its my taste.. but the cabinet is from mdf with real wood on front which sound a very good quality,, what i would like to do is to replace the drivers inside the cabinet with higher quality and wattage .

i don't know from where or how to start to find the right wattage and ohms to fit in those boxes

height is 45" .. 114cm

width is 10" .. 25cm

depth is 16" 40cm

I've looked into many guides on how to build speakers but because i already have the cabinets i don't know from where to start or how to pick the right drivers to suit my boxes height and width.

the old speakers consist of

two 8" woofer @4ohm

one 6.5" mid @8ohm

two 1 " tweeters

i want my new drivers to have 400watt RMS or so for both cabinets

any help would be much appreciated

thanks

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
It doesn't work that way, you can't just change the drivers and the wattage and ohm ratings mean nothing in that regard. It could be done, but would require an entire new crossover designed from scratch, and would likely set you back much more than building a new speaker that has an existing design. Sorry for the let down! Either enjoy these as is, or look up info on DIY'ing something totally different like the Statements, or any Seos design, or any of the designs on Zaph audio!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK got it but if this is the case then why many people buy a crossover and then buy a compatible speakers drivers to fit in the same cross point of that crossover . i mean it got to be away for me,, for example to buy a 3-way crossover from Dayton or Eminence and then buy a drivers match the cross pints of that crossover and meets the dimensions of my cabinet , or even buy a WHOLE speakers drivers kit with crossover which was built for them !! or maybe buy a drivers and design a crossover to match these drivers frequencies !

like if i want 2-WAY SPEAKERS setup :

Dayton DC250-8 8" Classic Woofer , This woofer can handle 70 watts RMS and 105 watts max which is good enough for my needs. Its Frequency Response is: 25-2,500 Hz and with an Xmax of 4mm and SPL of 89 decibels should produce a good about of bass

and Goldwood GT-525 1" Soft Dome Tweeter ,,This tweeter can handle 50 watts RMS and 100 watts max which matches the woofer. Its frequency response is: 2,000 - 20,000 Hz and has an SPL of 92 decibels

. then Dayton XO2W-2.5K 2-Way 2,500 Hz ,, This 2-way crossover unit separates incoming frequencies at the 2500 Hz mark. So any sound with frequency less than 2500 Hz will be sent to the woofer and vice versa for the tweeter.

will this example work for instance ?

please advise

thanks again

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uddup76  /t/1523631/choosing-the-right-drivers-for-my-floor-standing-cabinets#post_24514907

OK got it but if this is the case then why many people buy a crossover and then buy a compatible speakers drivers to fit in the same cross point of that crossover
Because they don't know how to design a crossover themselves, and they don't know how to match up the rest of the components either. They assume that putting together drivers, an enclosure and crossover is no more difficult than following a recipe for making a cake. It's considerably more complicated than that, as illustrated by the amount of material contained here:
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?219617-The-Speaker-Building-Bible

For those who don't thoroughly understand most of what's contained in that link this link is more appropriate:
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?211558-Links-to-existing-DIY-speaker-designs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts