AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the Chroma 5 from spectracal and I have a few questions

Is the Enhanced Chroma 5 from Spectracal trust worthy to calibrate CMS.

This will be the only meter that I will be purchasing so I want to make the right decision.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Be advised that there are differing opinions about this. One school of thought argues that colorimeters become less accurate as one moves out on the CIE chart from white to fully saturated colors. Another argues that the difference in accuracy is insignificant, especially when compared to the coarseness of the color controls on most sets. You pays your money and takes your choice!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi DVD MAN,

Just my opinion but I would go for the Colormunki Spectroradiometer package. I've purchased this and never looked back.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizardhunter
Hi DVD MAN,

Just my opinion but I would go for the Colormunki Spectroradiometer package. I've purchased this and never looked back.
im considering this to and profiling it to my display2lt, so you have the best of both worlds...the only issue is that the CM cannot be recertified like the i1pro but for the enthusiats it should be fine..

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Get the Colormunki Spectro and look for a used Display 2 to profile against the ColorMunki Spectro. You'll Gain the speed of the D2 and accuracy of the Colormunki Spectro.

Athanasios

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hi All,

I'm considering a Munki and Display 2 to calibrate a W6000 DLP projector and 2 Sony Multiformat CRT monitors for post production.

I'm on a mac. Does the included software for OSX allow 2 meters to be used, or do I have to go with one of the PC programs (meaning I need to buy a PC)

Also my screen is quite large 165" and the walls are white. I was reading the i1pro has a much narrower angle - would the Munki work on my situation?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlo
im considering this to and profiling it to my display2lt, so you have the best of both worlds...the only issue is that the CM cannot be recertified like the i1pro but for the enthusiats it should be fine..
This is a timely topic for me. I am thinking I will get the ColorMunki and the CalMAN4 software. Why does it help to have a 2nd meter. I read alot that people profile one meter to another but I am not sure I understand the benefits. Why is it not an issue that the ColorMunki cannot be recertified. How long could one expect the ColorMunki to stay accurate?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD MAN
I am considering the Chroma 5 from spectracal and I have a few questions

Is the Enhanced Chroma 5 from Spectracal trust worthy to calibrate CMS.

This will be the only meter that I will be purchasing so I want to make the right decision.

Thanks
Buy the i1 Pro, I have both and almost never use the C5.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimed1
This is a timely topic for me. I am thinking I will get the ColorMunki and the CalMAN4 software. Why does it help to have a 2nd meter. I read alot that people profile one meter to another but I am not sure I understand the benefits. Why is it not an issue that the ColorMunki cannot be recertified. How long could one expect the ColorMunki to stay accurate?
Colorimeters do a better job of dark readings over the i1Pro or the Colormunki (faster)..Much faster response, so what you do is use the i1Pro or ColorMunki and do the 4 color matrix, then you use that profile on the display2 and you get a better color read for Gamut/color decoding that the i1Pro of the CM have, then you get the strength of the Display2 for dark readings...

if you are to just have ONE though..then get the Colormunki..it will just take longer to read (I heard but could stand corrected) the dark readings of a greyscale

The i1Pro and the CM have nearly the same insides but the CM uses plastic lenses (not sure if this is the right term) and the i1Pro uses glass..Plastic overtime opaques as we know. The i1Pro can be certified and thus WHY it cost so much more than the CM - this is what brings down the CM as well price wise..How long will the CM last?.I would bet it can last for a while but I wouldnt know - I guess it depends on its use (2 years?). I keep my meters (hcfr probe, display2 and dtp94) in a bag with silica gel bags

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey you guys with the ColorMunki.. Are you using CalMAN or something else. I like the looks of Chromapure, but don't see where it supports the ColorMunki.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Currently, ChromaPure and ColorHCFR do not support the ColorMunki.. CalMAN does.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimed1 /forum/post/19610389

Hey you guys with the ColorMunki.. Are you using CalMAN or something else. I like the looks of Chromapure, but don't see where it supports the ColorMunki.

Haven't used Chromapure but have purchased the enhanced Colormunki CalMAN bundle and I'm very happy with it. I used to use ColorHCFR with my i1LT but wanted a more accurate meter and couldn't afford the i1 Pro and the only software supporting the Colormunki was CalMAN. So now I have a spectroradiometer that I use to profile my iffy i1LT

·
Registered
281 Posts
What about buying a used meter. I think I can get my hands on a used i1 Pro that is two or three years old but only used about 10 times. If these things don't really get out of spec that often and this one has spent it's life stored in the case, shouldn't it still be good? At the very least I could have it recertified and still save a few hundred dollars over the cost of a new one.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the most I should be willing to pay is?

All thoughts on this are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimed1 /forum/post/19621964

What about buying a used meter. I think I can get my hands on a used i1 Pro that is two or three years old but only used about 10 times. If these things don't really get out of spec that often and this one has spent it's life stored in the case, shouldn't it still be good? At the very least I could have it recertified and still save a few hundred dollars over the cost of a new one.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the most I should be willing to pay is?

All thoughts on this are appreciated.

I would not pay more then $200 for it.

Here is my reasoning......colormunki cost $500 list....amazon and other places less....i1pro recert. = $300

in that case......I would buy a brand new factory freash colormunki....if the total cost of i1 and recert are more the $500

Just my $.02

RayJr

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks Rayjr..

I thought the price to recertify a i1 pro was $185. Is it $300 now? I sent x-rite an email asking.

Just hate to get a Colormunki and throw it away after 4 or five years when I could get a better meter in the i1 Pro and send it out for recertification at about the same interval.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just got this reply from X-Rite:

Hi James,

The cost to recertify the Eyeone is $195.00 plus tax and shipping. If repairs are needed, the cost would be $325.00 plus tax and shipping. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Wendy

X-Rite will be closed to observe Christmas and New Years on Dec 23, 24, 31, 2010 and Jan 3, 2011

Wendy Lane | Customer Success/Industrial Applications

X-Rite, Incorporated | 4300 44th Street SE; Grand Rapids, Michigan 49512 USA

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Recertification, as far as I know, means they check to see if your I1Pro is still within it's specifications. They don't "recalibrate" it if it's out of spec, they probably just offer you a discount on a new one. That being said, how often does an I1Pro go out of spec? My guess is that probably nobody here has ever had the unfortunate experience. And with THAT being said, my guess is that the Colormunki is probably good for a lot more than 4 or 5 years.

My guess.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks Jim..

My wild guess would be that if it is out of spec they would apply some kind of offset and re-flash the firmware/tables/ or whatever to bring it back in. Repair would be only if a part insided the device had failed, in which case it would the would probably just replace a board or somehthing. I really have no clue.

How would I know if a colormunki is out of spec? Send it to spectralcal and have them verify it? I know they can't be recertified.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts