AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else love this as a kid? Got a lot of play on my Atari 1200XL. I always thought the home versions (Atari, Apple, Commodore, etc) were so much better than the arcade or console versions.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Yep, I loved Choplifter as a kid, will definitely have to check the demo out.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
One of my favorites as a kid too, definitely preferred the more basic games than the arcade or later console versions that tried to add too much. Not sure what the laser crap is going on in this one, I'll still give it a go.

Now we need Wings of Fury.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
After this we need Desert Strike as well
I spent many hours of my youth playing these 2 games.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
It looks like they did a good job of retaining the basics in that trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime /forum/post/20871595

I remember crushing quite a few guys, trying to land as close as possible to them (they ran too slow!!!!).

Yup, I remember the same thing! I played this a ton back on my dads Apple II. This is how I remember it...

It'd be fantastic if they have an "old school" mode that gives you the old school graphics.

-JR

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is almost how I remember it on my Atari. the problem is that you can't truly show a game like Choplifter because the programmer was clever and took advantage of the limitations of CRT and RF inputs at higher resolutions. the CRT artifacting produced additional color that's not seen in an emulator or high resolution monitor. there are emulator tricks to show the artifacting but they're only approximations.

the only way to show the way it looked on an Atari would be camcord it off of an old CRT with RF input (instead of using higher quality composite) and even then that's not true representation of what your eyes are seeing.

my worst nightmare with this game was when I landed the helicopter on the house. I would hear the sound of hostage after hostage and think they were boarding the copter, but in fact, they were dying one by one! I'd take off and realize I just killed 16 guys by landing on them.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime /forum/post/20886630

this is almost how I remember it on my Atari. the problem is that you can't truly show a game like Choplifter because the programmer was clever and took advantage of the limitations of CRT and RF inputs at higher resolutions. the CRT artifacting produced additional color that's not seen in an emulator or high resolution monitor. there are emulator tricks to show the artifacting but they're only approximations.

the only way to show the way it looked on an Atari would be camcord it off of an old CRT with RF input (instead of using higher quality composite) and even then that's not true representation of what your eyes are seeing.

That's a pretty interesting factoid, thanks for sharing.

What's odd is I remember that my fathers Apple II was not in color - it was a good ol' black and green CRT monitor, but all I could find on YouTube was that color video. Must just be my memory.

Another game I loved (off topic) and found frustratingly hard was Aztec.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, that's probably b/c your dad had a monochrome monitor.

I remember hooking up the 2600 to the kitchen black and white 13" TV when we wanted to game while we ate. It drove my mom mad, but she always gave in.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Open environment would defeat the purpose and they may as well just call it a Strike game. It looks like they may have added some minor 3d elements like the ability to dodge on the Z-axis which would be fine, anything more than that and its not Choplifter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.