AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2266 Posts

·
Registered
25,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to see a demonstration of the new Christie/Dolby large venue RGB laser projector on Friday. My understanding is it will be on a 16' wide screen and should be able to do about 500 nits on a unity gain screen. I have a list of things I'd like to see to compare it to what I have now but I was wondering if anyone might recommend some scenes or chapters to look at on UHD BD or BD.

Art

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
I'm going to see a demonstration of the new Christie/Dolby large venue RGB laser projector on Friday. My understanding is it will be on a 16' wide screen and should be able to do about 500 nits on a unity gain screen. I have a list of things I'd like to see to compare it to what I have now but I was wondering if anyone might recommend some scenes or chapters to look at on UHD BD or BD.

Art
Art - Kindly inquire:
1. Dimensions - schematic would be best.
2. Location of Lens - center or not not.
3. Noise
4. Cooling method
5. Throw required for 14 foot screen
6. I am guessing this will do Dolby Vision?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Art - Kindly inquire:
1. Dimensions - schematic would be best.
2. Location of Lens - center or not not.
3. Noise
4. Cooling method
5. Throw required for 14 foot screen
6. I am guessing this will do Dolby Vision?

Thanks in advance.

I can answer a few things now center of lens is offset and 8.67" from the top of the projector. It is Dolby Vision, both the head and the laser module rack require separate cooling. No chiller unit required however. Some NDA stuff I can give more after I see it and ask what I can talk about.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
I can answer a few things now center of lens is offset and 8.67" from the top of the projector. It is Dolby Vision, both the head and the laser module rack require separate cooling. No chiller unit required however. Some NDA stuff I can give more after I see it and ask what I can talk about.
Thanks - looks like it will be beast to install...

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
@Art Sonneborn

This is different than Christie's current flagship, the CP4325 RGB Pure Laser Cinema Projector, right?

If so, can you tell us anything about lumens? From the other threads I've seen you post about this, it should be ~21k lumens (500/3.43) * (16'*9'), right? Or is this with a double stack, so half that?

And what about contrast? Are they're using a 4th chip for contrast enhancement?

·
Registered
25,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
@Art Sonneborn

This is different than Christie's current flagship, the CP4325 RGB Pure Laser Cinema Projector, right?

If so, can you tell us anything about lumens? From the other threads I've seen you post about this, it should be ~21k lumens (500/3.43) * (16'*9'), right? Or is this with a double stack, so half that?

I can't say now about the contrast, but it is supposed to have much much higher contrast and yes the version I'm going to see looks like about 22,000 lumens. It appears to be a Dolby Cinema equivalent but optimized for home use.

I'm going as an end user but I signed an NDA for some of it. I will ask about what I'm permitted to discuss on Friday.

Nigel will be there and he intends to do measurements while mine will be a subjective appraisal only ,although I'll report any numbers I get while there.

·
Registered
27,680 Posts
You're the man to be there for the subjective analysis. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Reactions: Reddig and ARROW-AV

·
Registered
22,404 Posts
You're the man to be there for the subjective analysis. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
One for your new theater???

·
Registered
27,680 Posts
One for your new theater???
Ha! I wish. We downsized our house but the smaller house is costing us far more than our old house (and it’s almost 1/2 the size)! The theater budget is getting squeezed! I’ll have to give to Art’s if he decides this the projector to rule them all!

·
Registered
25,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Wall TV or Bust...all I can say for my future upgrade in Video..

Ash,
I hear you it's just there are still a few things which make this an upgrade and at the same time has several advantages over the wall solutions. I'm sure you have thought about those as I have.

Peter had wanted to go but he was sandwiched between other events. Sad part was he was at the Toronto Audiofest this week but Christie said the demo wasn't ready yet.

Art

·
Registered
22,404 Posts
Ha! I wish. We downsized our house but the smaller house is costing us far more than our old house (and it’s almost 1/2 the size)! The theater budget is getting squeezed! I’ll have to give to Art’s if he decides this the projector to rule them all!
Yea, I could downsize to a smaller house, but afraid that by the time I got done, I wouldn't save much, or spend more, and take a lotta time out of my mostly retired life!!!!

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Interested to hear more about this Art - are you able to quote the RRP?

Edit: I appreciate it will be one of those "if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it" products, but I'm still interested to know the current price entry point for Christies dual chip tech.

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
6,949 Posts

I can't say now about the contrast, but it is supposed to have much much higher contrast and yes the version I'm going to see looks like about 22,000 lumens. It appears to be a Dolby Cinema equivalent but optimized for home use.

I'm going as an end user but I signed an NDA for some of it. I will ask about what I'm permitted to discuss on Friday.

Nigel will be there and he intends to do measurements while mine will be a subjective appraisal only ,although I'll report any numbers I get while there.
Not sure whether we were supposed to be discussing the details regarding this publically just yet, but since the cat's now out of the bag... :)

In short, this is a 'non-cinema' version of Christie's infamous Dolby Vision projector that features within Dolby Cinemas.

This is something that stemmed out of meetings and ongoing communications that I had with Christie at and subsequently following CinemaCon 2017; and Art has been in communication with them for several months now.

This is not the Christie CP4325-RGB. Nor is it the new D4K40-RGB pure laser projector, which as it happens will be being demoed to us as well.

Christie is targetting with both of these new projectors large venues, sports facilities, domes, giant screens, planetariums and theme park attractions.

A huge thank you to Art for helping to persuade Christie to allow these to be supplied and installed into home theaters/cinemas.

I am going to be taking measurements and will be doing some scientific analysis. I will be sure to post my findings on here :)

:wink:

1 - 20 of 2266 Posts