AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
23,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This recent movie is available at a very good

price from BestBuy this week - $17.99. DDD wants $20.82.

How does this movie compare to his others?

larry

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I enjoyed it. It seemed about on par with Guffman and Best in Show, not really the same caliber as Spinal Tap. It's funny though and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Hmm, While I loved Spinal Tap I thought both Guffman and Best in Show were better. A Mighty wind is a little more reserved than the other two but still very funny.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I enjoyed it, but couldn't shake the feeling it was Best in Show with a different theme, mostly all the same people, in different characters (which was kind of cool). I did get a big kick out of the Spinal Tap "renaissance" as the Folkmen though. Guess I better check out Guffman, haven't seen that one!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Topping spinal tap is tough.

Best in show was hillarious. (especially the part about the couple with the doberman who lost his "bee" chew toy...I know people just like that!!!)

I never saw Guffman, but, now I am curious.

Maybe I am alone, but, I thought the ending of Spinal Tap was "dark". (another tour of the disfunctional band, but in Japan) I thought the ending of Best in Show was histerical. ("American *****" had me laughing so hard, I had Coke coming out my nose...and it hurt!)

I am anticipating an enjoyable time with A Mighty Wind this weekend. (renting it...)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Saw Mighty Wind Tuesday night in the HT with the family.

My wife and son loved it. I thought it was a cut below "Best in Show", but well worth the watch.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Guffman is well worth watching. It also has some 'coke coming out your nose' type moments, though it is a 'sweeter' piece than Best in Show or Spinal Tap. One of the funniest things is a throwaway bit at the end behind the credits, where Corky has opened a Hollywood memorabilia store, and he's selling things like the Remains of the Day lunchbox for kids and the "My Dinner With Andre" action figures.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I really enjoyed A Mighty Wind. I thought the music sounded very good. There are some really funny moments. I've had to tell others that it IS a comedy because it is just so realistic and played so straight. I actually started caring about the relationship between the Mitch and Mickey characters and the music more than laughing that much.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I saw Mighty Wind in the theater. It was quite funny. Probaby more funny in a art house cinema where everyone arrives ready to like the film. It likely will not play as well in my home theater, but I do like Christopher Guest movies. Last week I watched Guffman and Best in Show. Very good stuff.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey
Guffman is well worth watching. It also has some 'coke coming out your nose' type moments, though it is a 'sweeter' piece than Best in Show or Spinal Tap. One of the funniest things is a throwaway bit at the end behind the credits, where Corky has opened a Hollywood memorabilia store, and he's selling things like the Remains of the Day lunchbox for kids and the "My Dinner With Andre" action figures.

Wow, I love Guffman because to me it is BRUTAL, even more than Best In Show. If you've ever been in or around local musical theater it's as painful as Spinal Tap is to rock musicians (of which I'm one) :)

That was my major pan of Mighty Wind, which I really enjoyed as well- to me it was in fact a bit sentimental, and far too respectful of folk music at the expense of the parody, unlike Spinal Tap which was respectful in its own way yet unrelenting in its pointing out of absurdity . I wish they had gone for the jugular. Also, I would have liked to concentrate on The Folksman a bit more than Mitch and Mickey. So for me, MW is the weakest of the four "mockumentaries" -- but that's only like comparing fillet mignon to slightly less good fillet mignon!

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Very funny movie, though I enjoyed previous Guest films more. What really impressed me was the music...hilarious. And quite impressive performances!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thought the music wasn't hilarious at all. It was just good folk music, nothing more. Some good scenes involving bob balaban's character, and the folksmen. But as soon as they cut to the mitch and mickey scenes (which they did way too much) i got bored with the drama. And not to mention irritated by levy's overacting 101. He was so much better in guffman and show. And as much as i loved willard in show, his comedy here didn't work for me at all. Oh well still a decent flick, but can't say i'm not disappointed.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
We watched the first hour or so and have enjoyed it thus far. The songs lyrics really are absurd, which is dead on - it's like making fun of the one guy in college (or Animal House) that sat around being sensitive whilst strumming his guitar in an erstwhile manner. Funny! Hopefully we can finish it tonight.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I agree with FredProgCH's comments about A Mighty Wind.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Version
Hmm, While I loved Spinal Tap I thought both Guffman and Best in Show were better. A Mighty wind is a little more reserved than the other two but still very funny.
I tend to agree with you there, although I'm not a big fan of Guffman either really. Spinal Tap is still the gold standard. And speaking of Tap, I always like to recommend Whitnail and I to fans. It's not a mockumentary, but the humor is along the same lines, and it's really acquired a similar cult status in England.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I actually liked Guffman and Best in Show more than Spinal Tap. Not so 'slap sticky.' Christopher Guest is a remarkable talent. That 'accent' he affected in Best in Show was extraordinary. Pure genius. Can't wait to see Mighty Wind.

htomei

·
Registered
937 Posts
I read a comment somewhere that suggested that people preferred the movies in the order they were seen. This certainly is my experience. Perhaps it's not the movies themselves being better or worse but simply one getting more accustomed to the format -- and expecting more each time.

Either way, I think they are all well worth the price and highly recommended to friends and family alike.

Michael

·
Registered
44 Posts
Having thoroughly enjoyed Best In Show, Waiting For Guffman and Spinal Tap, I didn't think A Mighty Wind was all that funny. It had it's moments, but I think think the plot paralleled a bit to close to Best In Show. I'm glad I rented it first as the sale prices were all to high for me to buy this unseen.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I would imagine that some amount of enjoyment is dependent on your being a fan of folk music and therefore recognizing more of the parody aspects of it. I would imagine that someone who knows nothing about rock music might find Spinal Tap pretty boring.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I wonder if the more serious nature of A Mighty Wind has to do with a re-evaluation by Guest of his methods as a result of his constant carping about how much he dislikes the "mockumentary" description critics have come up with to describe his films. (He says he isn't mocking his characters, that he really loves them, etc. He makes a case for his objections, but there is mockery there too, albeit of a rather good-natured kind.) Hence he may be throwing out certain kinds of humor the actors come up with because it is too "mocking".

I too find his other films more laugh-out-loud funny, but Wind is really good as well.

Good to see jeroen is still lurking around out there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.