AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been googling for a while, and I can't find clear answers to 2 questions. I'm hoping some people with chromeboxes running openelec and Kodi will chime in for me.

I'd like to buy the asus with the i3 processor, to hopefully partially future proof my setup. I am already ripping my blurays to x265. On my computer they run perfect using Kodi.

First, can I buy an external bluray drive and plug it into the chromebox so that I can use it for both digital as well as physical media? I can't find anyone doing this, so I assume it will not work. Seems like a bummer.

Second, I assume I can just buy a usb 3.0 external drive to dump movies into, or looks like most people use some sort of server or NAS. Is there any problems using an attached usb 3.0 external hard drive?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have been googling for a while, and I can't find clear answers to 2 questions. I'm hoping some people with chromeboxes running openelec and Kodi will chime in for me.

I'd like to buy the asus with the i3 processor, to hopefully partially future proof my setup. I am already ripping my blurays to x265. On my computer they run perfect using Kodi.

First, can I buy an external bluray drive and plug it into the chromebox so that I can use it for both digital as well as physical media? I can't find anyone doing this, so I assume it will not work. Seems like a bummer.

Second, I assume I can just buy a usb 3.0 external drive to dump movies into, or looks like most people use some sort of server or NAS. Is there any problems using an attached usb 3.0 external hard drive?

Thanks in advance.
I don't know about the first question but the 2nd question is yes you can use a usb drive

Its up to you if you want to spend the extra money on the i3. The M004U can play x265 blu ray content no problem. By the time true ultra hd hits the home market the price of a i3 will most likely be much lower, there might even be advancements in other areas as well.

What program are you using for your x265 encoding, I use DVD Fab and the few test files I did took forever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts