AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Google's Chromecast changed the face—or at least the form factor—of media streaming when it was introduced about a year ago. However, the $35 HDMI dongle was hobbled by a lack of apps, especially compared with the likes of Roku and Apple TV. That limitation was addressed last December with the addition of several apps, including RealPlayer Cloud, Avia, and Plex, all of which allow streaming from various mobile and locally networked devices as well as cloud storage.

According to an article at Digital Trends , the Plex app was updated a couple of weeks ago to eliminate the $4/month fee to stream to Chromecast via Plex, and iOS users can now cast music and photo albums. This is just the latest in a series of moves designed to improve the Chromecast platform. Last month, Google opened up the Chromecast software developer kit (SDK) to the public, hoping that programmers all over the world will unleash a flood of new apps and capabilities.

Perhaps Google was inspired to update Chromecast by Roku's recent upgrade to its Streaming Stick, a similar dongle that costs only $15 more than Chromecast and can now be plugged into any HDMI port rather than being limited to an MHL (Mobile High-definition Link) connection. (MHL provided power directly, while the new Streaming Stick must be plugged into a USB port or wall outlet like Chromecast, as seen in the photo above.) Of course, the Roku's advantage is the availability of some 1200 apps, which is likely why Google is turning to the worldwide programmer community to help beef up its stable of apps.

Do you use a Chromecast or Streaming Stick? If so, what is your experience with them? If not, does this news encourage you to get one?

Like AVS Forum on Facebook

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

+1 AVS Forum on Google+

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Chromecast is fantastic!! ... when it works. I got one for my girlfriend and can cast/stream my movies from my Plex server with ease. Her and her roommate use it all the time for Youtube videos. However, the Chromecast itself very frequently doesn't even show up on your phone when you want to cast something. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. One second it'll be there, the next, it's gone.

One thing I don't understand is why there has to be an app to cast something. You'd think, especially on an android phone, that I'd be able to just cast a video I have on my phone. Odd that I have to use an app to do that.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I have a Chromecast, but honeslty use the Rocku 3 much more. The Chromecast is better for when I want to throw Youtube videos to the TV and such or fire up Netflix to watch something I am not sending through the home theater. IMO Roku Rules in the streaming device arena unless you are embedded in the IOS ecosystem. Even then I see people will choose Roku due to the variety. I have 2 Roku 3s and love them since they added You Tube and sped up the units.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I Have a chromecast.

It was mediocre until more apps started popping up like this one

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.instantbits.cast.webvideo

it's free and lets me stream online videos for tablet browsers to the tv.

in chrome, I find the video, then I share it to "web video caster" press play on the video, click the find video button on the web caster navigator then I cast it to chromecast.

It's a huge work around, but at least it works.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl  /t/1524731/chromecast-adds-apps#post_24541867

One thing I don't understand is why there has to be an app to cast something. You'd think, especially on an android phone, that I'd be able to just cast a video I have on my phone. Odd that I have to use an app to do that.

You can cast content directly from your phone; either from a browser tab or using an app like Allcast. But doing that is not really what Chromecast was optimized to do since it requires a 2-way trip up through your wifi and down to the dongle, like the apple TV model.

But the chromecast model is 1-way, and works better as a result. The app on your android sets up a direct flow of content between your wifi and the CC dongle; much more efficient on speed, battery and all around better.

Yes, it's a pain waiting for every app to add CC support, but it should happen pretty fast now that Google has released the SDK.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlopho  /t/1524731/chromecast-adds-apps#post_24541994

I Have a chromecast.

It was mediocre until more apps started popping up like this one

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.instantbits.cast.webvideo

it's free and lets me stream online videos for tablet browsers to the tv.

in chrome, I find the video, then I share it to "web video caster" press play on the video, click the find video button on the web caster navigator then I cast it to chromecast.

It's a huge work around, but at least it works.

Is using this app any better than just casting from a Chrome browser tab?

Could the CC stream shows from sites like TVO or CBC directly to my TV using this app?

http://ww3.tvo.org/video?gclid=CIy1z47Etr0CFbFFMgodLVUAsg

http://www.cbc.ca/player/

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Got our CC the day it came out - along with the $6? credit to our Netflix account. Used it a few times, but just forgot about it until about a month ago. (It had remained in one of the HDMI ports.) I then started to cast a few things from web pages from the chrome browser. Also started using it to cast HBO2go. (Yes,we are legal. HBO is part of the community provided cable service we get at our other home.) Now use it to cast Xfinity2go as well to get a couple items we don't get on basic cable here in Okld. HBO is a "direct" cast and provides a stunning pic. Xfinity is not "direct".

One thing I discovered a couple months ago was you can not cast if you are using a foreign IP. I wanted to cast live feeds of the Olympics from Canada or the UK. Had to use a foreign IP but Chrome wouldn't let me cast anything from the Chrome browser when I did that.

Question -

Is there a way to cast pics or videos from an Android phone?

·
Registered
776 Posts
"One thing I discovered a couple months ago was you can not cast if you are using a foreign IP"

ChromeCast just went international a couple of weeks ago.

"Is there a way to cast pics or videos from an Android phone?"

Yes. AllCast, Avia, PlayTo are three of many choices. There are a horde of ChromeCast apps now

·
Registered
266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae  /t/1524731/chromecast-adds-apps#post_24542725

Could the CC stream shows from sites like TVO or CBC directly to my TV using this app?

I do not think it is possible to cast from a browser tab off your phone or tablet.

The only way i have seen that to work is via a PC chrome tab with the addon installed.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I use it as my device to stream my home media content to other TVs in the home outside of the theater
Currently using Plex BUT MediaBrowser and XBMC is working on their own version so I cant wait for those.

·
Registered
15,767 Posts
I find PQ when streaming Netflix to be outstanding, considerably better than PQ streaming from my $1200 Oppo 105.

·
Registered
112 Posts
For35 bus it offers so much value. I bring along when I travel. Plug to my hotels HDTV, cast movies or media using my laptop or tablet.

Happy to see more apps supporting cc.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderkind  /t/1524731/chromecast-adds-apps#post_24545745

For35 bus it offers so much value. I bring along when I travel. Plug to my hotels HDTV, cast movies or media using my laptop or tablet.

Happy to see more apps supporting cc.

I do the same thing

·
Registered
2,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae  /t/1524731/chromecast-adds-apps#post_24542725

CC will not let you cast from a foreign IP like CBC.ca. It will not let you cast if you are trying to access a foreign or domestic IP using a VPN. I tried to watch BBC or CBC Olympic coverage and couldn't do it. Could watch on laptop using VPN but couldn't cast it.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP  /t/1524731/chromecast-adds-apps#post_24545481

I find PQ when streaming Netflix to be outstanding, considerably better than PQ streaming from my $1200 Oppo 105.

We simply use our smart Panny plasma. Netflix controls are built in to the TV's remote. Use CC to cast TCM from laptop.

·
Registered
15,767 Posts
I found PQ not to be great for Netfllix from my Panny plasma (a few years old).

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP  /t/1524731/chromecast-adds-apps#post_24548699

I found PQ not to be great for Netfllix from my Panny plasma (a few years old).

We began using our CC to watch old B&W movies, and it was months before I remembered to tune in the HDMI port which had never been used. Once I dialed in settings similar to those for my calibrated HDMI port, PQ increased tremendously. Modern day video now looks perfect and even old B&W movies look way better. Our set is six years old, and the default settings were pretty bad in those days.

·
Registered
519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves  /t/1524731/chromecast-adds-apps#post_24544934

I use it as my device to stream my home media content to other TVs in the home outside of the theater
Currently using Plex BUT MediaBrowser and XBMC is working on their own version so I cant wait for those.

What is your source content and container of your "home media"?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyd  /t/1524731/chromecast-adds-apps#post_24551534

What is your source content and container of your "home media"?

Mostly mkv and plex handles any transcoding or whatever might be needed, its not as good as watching at the source but it gets the job done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts