AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of this evening I am streaming FLAC from my DLNA server to the living room stereo using BubbleUPnP on my tablet through a new Chromecast Audio. Quite happy with it. It replaced a Soundmate WM201 that would drop out. Now I need to get a mini- TOSLINK cable to use my own DAC.

·
Registered
871 Posts
How is the audio quality without a dac , I want to run toslink straight to my marantz 7008

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
How is the audio quality without a dac , I want to run toslink straight to my marantz 7008
When using the optical out, you are going to be using your receiver's DAC, and the Chromecast just acts a media transport.

·
Registered
507 Posts
When using the optical out, you are going to be using your receiver's DAC, and the Chromecast just acts a media transport.
Similarly, is there any reason to stream with the additional expense of a Chromecast Audio device, instead of using the built-in UPnP/DLNA network music file streaming capabilities of the Marantz 7008, especially as you can still use the excellent BubbleUPnP app as the controller?

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Yes. The Chromecast also lets you throw up internet videos on the TV.

For example, say you have the PBS app on your phone. There is of course YouTube as well. You can also mirror your phone screen to your TV. So it's a multipurpose device, with DLNA being just one of its capabilities.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I was thinking of getting a blue sound node 2 , Sonos , or chrome cast , right now I'm using Roku 3 and my iPhone via front port usb for music listening . I want to he the best sound possible which media player do you guys think will work best with my marantz 7008

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes. The Chromecast also lets you throw up internet videos on the TV.

For example, say you have the PBS app on your phone. There is of course YouTube as well. You can also mirror your phone screen to your TV. So it's a multipurpose device, with DLNA being just one of its capabilities.
Sure, if the thread was about the standard Google Chromecast device, but it was specifically about Chromecast Audio, ie, an audio only device. Also, UPnP/DLNA is not the same technology as Chromecast, so is not one of its capabilties and therefore Chromecast is not normally compatible with UPnP/DLNA. You can only get the two technologies to work with each other if you use a third party software that is able to support both and act as the go between, eg the Android BubbleUPnP controller app.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I was thinking of getting a blue sound node 2 , Sonos , or chrome cast , right now I'm using Roku 3 and my iPhone via front port usb for music listening . I want to he the best sound possible which media player do you guys think will work best with my marantz 7008
Have you tried the built-in network streaming capabilities the Marantz 7008 it already has (like the UPnP/DLNA support I mentioned earlier)? It also supports AirPlay, so you get it to play the sounds directly from your iPhone's music apps, without the need for any add on media player/streamer hardware like the Roku! Are you saying that you're expecting an add on device connected to your Marantz such as the Bluesound, Sonos, Chromecast, Roku, etc (ie indirect playback), to sound better than the Marantz's own network streaming playback to its own directly connected internal DAC?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you tried the built-in network streaming capabilities the Marantz 7008 it already has (like the UPnP/DLNA support I mentioned earlier)? It also supports AirPlay, so you get it to play the sounds directly from your iPhone's music apps, without the need for any add on media player/streamer hardware like the Roku! Are you saying that you're expecting an add on device connected to your Marantz such as the Bluesound, Sonos, Chromecast, Roku, etc (ie indirect playback), to sound better than the Marantz's own network streaming playback to its own directly connected internal DAC?
I agree, I would start with the Marantz. I went with the Chromecast because I am using a 15 year old Rotel in the living room. If it ain't broke... The chromecast is slick - I replaced a DLNA streamer that had dropout problems. I send FLAC to the chromecast, toslink to my HD990 CD unit's digital input, and use its DACs out to the Rotel.

I would not buy a sonos today... Chromecast is going to have whole-house capabilities soon. I would not buy Roku for audio-only.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I agree, I would start with the Marantz. I went with the Chromecast because I am using a 15 year old Rotel in the living room. If it ain't broke... The chromecast is slick - I replaced a DLNA streamer that had dropout problems. I send FLAC to the chromecast, toslink to my HD990 CD unit's digital input, and use its DACs out to the Rotel.
Certainly makes sense to keep decent old kit going & useable with up to date technology like network streaming, especially at such little expense with a device like the Chromecast Audio.

Are you getting full control on the Chromecast Audio with the BubbleUPnP Android app handling the UPnP/DLNA media server (with your FLAC files) to Chromecast interface? Especially:
Is gapless playback between the music tracks in the playlist still supported?
Do all the navigation buttons (pause, skip, etc) still work?
Does the track position slider still work?
Does the volume control slider work (bonus!)?

·
Registered
507 Posts
If Chromecast itself supports gapless playback when presented with separate track files one after another (ie not one great big long file composed of those tracks), then it may be possible with the BubbleUPnP app in the future, given that BubbleUPnP already supports gapless when controlling gapless supporting UPnP/DLNA streamers.

Good to know all the other functions are working, though, including the volume control!

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
As a general rule, I prefer to keep the app/device volume at 100% and use my amp's volume. However it can be handy at times to hit the volume rocker on my phone if I'm around the corner and/or not near the remote.

As far as gapless playback goes, there is a pause between tracks on a playlist. That is a minor annoyance. Even more annoying to me, however, is starting a song by just tapping it from your library. The song will take a moment to load, then start 1-2 seconds in. So if there's a big intro, you miss part of it. My workaround has been to tap the song once, then again when it's about to start. If you time it right, it starts at 0:00.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
As a general rule, I prefer to keep the app/device volume at 100% and use my amp's volume. However it can be handy at times to hit the volume rocker on my phone if I'm around the corner and/or not near the remote.

As far as gapless playback goes, there is a pause between tracks on a playlist. That is a minor annoyance. Even more annoying to me, however, is starting a song by just tapping it from your library. The song will take a moment to load, then start 1-2 seconds in. So if there's a big intro, you miss part of it. My workaround has been to tap the song once, then again when it's about to start. If you time it right, it starts at 0:00.
That can happen at times with Airplay too, it is definitely frustrating and I would rather the song take a moment longer to start so as not to miss the beginning.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, it is quite good. If playing MP3 I'd not be able to tell if using internal or external DAC. I'm not 100% sure I could tell with FLAC, but have not done a blind test.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Certainly makes sense to keep decent old kit going & useable with up to date technology like network streaming, especially at such little expense with a device like the Chromecast Audio.

Are you getting full control on the Chromecast Audio with the BubbleUPnP Android app handling the UPnP/DLNA media server (with your FLAC files) to Chromecast interface? Especially:
Is gapless playback between the music tracks in the playlist still supported?
Do all the navigation buttons (pause, skip, etc) still work?
Does the track position slider still work?
Does the volume control slider work (bonus!)?
No gapless, but navigation, track slider, and volume do work.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Hmm,
I've noticed it takes a bit to start, but no initial cut-off for me.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts