AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 487 Posts

·
Photographer
I have a nice display and a good sound system
17,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Google takes another stab at providing your living-room TV with a "smart" home screen thanks to a tiny HDMI dongle called Chromecast. Interested owners of Android phones and tablets, Apple iOS devices, Cromebook, Windows, and Mac OS users can order the newly announced device as of today for $35—a price point that reportedly had reporters audibly gasping at the press event.
Quote:
"The Chromecast will launch in the United States first for $35, which garnered an audible (but deserved) gasp from the media audience, a typically jaded bunch at these product announcements." - ZDNet

Chromecast is a dongle that plugs directly into an available HDMI port.

Essentially, Chromecast links up to Android and iOS devices, such as smartphones, tablets, and Chromebooks. It also works with Mac and PC computers that have Chrome installed. It plugs into any HDMI port and uses USB power.
Quote:
"Measuring in at just two inches in length, Chromecast runs a "simplified version" of Chrome OS. It plugs into any HDMI input port and "simply disappears behind your TV." - ZDNet

Here is a more realistic depiction of the wiring. photo source: CNET

The diminutive dongle works by drawing content from laptops, desktops, Google and iOS devices—including Youtube, Netflix, and Google Play, Vudu, Hulu... anything that plays in a Chrome browser—then streams it directly to the Chromecast device from the cloud, right into an HDMI-equipped HDTV or receiver. This results in full-resolution playback of video content, unlike Apple's airplay which uses direct streaming/mirroring from an iOS device. With Google's approach, the source device can be turned off without stopping playback.

The dongle itself uses a basic version of Google's Chrome OS, giving HDTVs a degree of "smart" functionality. According to ZDNet, not all of that functionality is activated yet—but that's not stopping Google from selling it.
Quote:
"There are a few features still in the infamous beta mode, meaning users can't expect things to work so seamlessly out of the box." - ZDNet

Google usually proves to be a disruptive force in every market it enters. I already ordered a Chromecast within minutes of its announcement—at the minimum, it will be nice to have it when I stay in a hotel with free Wi-Fi. On the other hand, if it really interfaces well with my PCs, Android phone and my iPad, it could earn a dedicated HDMI slot on my Vizio HDTV. Either way, I expect to review it here on AVS it shortly after I receive it.

Is Chromecast a game-changer or another Google set-top box boondoggle?

Follow AVS Forum on Twitter

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I ordered one immediately as well. I have some doubts, and still believe the solution is too limiting for many of us, but I'm all in, all Google so it's a natural.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ordered. Google Play's website was saying it was "Coming Soon" and I was unable to order it initially. I spam refreshed my screen and the button to purchase it activated.

·
Photographer
17,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two#post_23559732

It also includes 3 free months of Netflix for new and existing members - making it more of a steal

Thanks for the heads up. It's true, so I added it to the article!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two#post_23559787

No mirroring of mobile device or streaming from desktop

It doesn't mirror, but you can play anything on this you can play in the mobile/desktop Chrome browser.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Is this MHL or does it use and AC adapter?

·
Registered
4,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two#post_23559803

It doesn't mirror, but you can play anything on this you can play in the mobile/desktop Chrome browser.

Cool, missed that part.

Does anyone know how the 3 free months of Netflix works? Is it a specific code? I.E., can I buy two of these and get 6 months free?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
They email you the promo code for Netflix when your device ships - so it's safe to assume you would need 2 emails for 2 separate orders and then who knows if Netflix would say 'this account has already used this promo' - so you might then need to sign up for another Netflix account.

·
Registered
197 Posts
ordered with amazon prime. Cant go wrong with 35 bucks. let see. Would love to play amazon movies on tv that doenst have it

·
Registered
4,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two#post_23559863

Sit tight - there is an API so an app that can see your library can enable support to push media to this

I know, that's why I left "possibility" in my first post above. ^_^ I just get hugely impatient when something great comes along and it's just so close to meeting my exact needs. ;-)

·
Photographer
17,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo  /t/1483018/chromecast-google-in-the-living-room-take-two#post_23559920

What is the compatibility with Blackberry OS 10 running Chrome browser?

Google only mentioned iOS and Android, not a peep about Microsoft or Blackberry. Reporters have already asked the question, are waiting for an answer.

Correction. It also works with Chrome in Windows and Mac OS
Quote:
"On the traditional PC side, it supports Chrome on recent versions of Windows and Mac OS X: users can stream directly from the browser, then go on with their normal computer use as video plays."

1 - 20 of 487 Posts