AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this little device seems to be the better choice right now, so here's whats working and not working.

Resolution - QTS2.200918.033 firmware adds 4k60 and 4k smpte. Both of these require a restart and 'disable Dolby Vision' (note: I have an LG B6 OLED which does DV at 4k/23.97 but not 4k/60. I usually use 4k/24).
Also the 4k/24 setting doesn't 'stick' as it resets to 1080p on power off/on, or changing the HDMI switch (turning on the receiver for surround).

The "continue watching" list on the home screen is nice, but isn't supported by several apps.
Here's what I have:
Service4kDVAtmosContinue Watching
Amazon PrimeYesYesYesNo
NetflixYesYesYesYes
Disney+YesHDRYesYes
HBOMaxYesYesNoYes
VuduYesYesNoNo
Movies AnywhereYes*Yes*Yes*No
Peacockn/an/an/aYes
Discovery +n/an/an/aNo
Apple TVYesYesNoNo
Paramount +YesNoPCMYes
n/a - no 4k/DV/Atmos content on service
NOTES:
  • Vudu currently outputs only Stereo sound. DV is working.
  • Latest update for HBOMax fixes PCM, most programs are now DD5.1, but Atmos is not working now.
  • Apple TV best I get is PCM stereo. Don't have any + content to test.
  • Kodi works but seems a bit sluggish and I’m having audio sync issues. It runs better once it’s moved to external storage (need a hub).
  • Disney+ is supposed to be working on Dolby Vision.
  • Paramount + (nee CBS All Access) is putting out PCM stereo on everything I played.
  • Movies Anywhere works for about 30 seconds, then gives a DRM error. Even though the path is fully compliant.
*Updates: The QTS2.200918.033 firmware did not affect any apps as far as I see.
Updated 9 Mar - Disney+ Atmos now working.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thank you so much for this breakdown! With so many variables I thought I was going crazy. I tested each app and can confirm, as of 1/3/2021, it's all accurate as listed. I tweeted at Google and they seemed to indicate that things are being worked on. I came across this from a thread over at the Chromecast subreddit. Really appreciate it! Side note, I might add a disclaimer of what does work via casting as a back up (for example, dolby atmos works with the device when cast via Vudu).

·
Registered
226 Posts
I can also confirm the OP results as that is what I am currently getting with my CCGTV and LG OLEDs.

I've opened a ticket with both Google and Movies Anywhere regarding the 4K60 Dolby Vision playback and both state its a known issue that is being worked on. Odd that Vudu plays it back just fine.

Glad to hear Disney+ is working on DV and Atmos.

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can also confirm the OP results as that is what I am currently getting with my CCGTV and LG OLEDs.

I've opened a ticket with both Google and Movies Anywhere regarding the 4K60 Dolby Vision playback and both state its a known issue that is being worked on. Odd that Vudu plays it back just fine.

Glad to hear Disney+ is working on DV and Atmos.

Thanks!
I just tested Disney + , still getting HDR and 5.1

·
Registered
374 Posts
A couple more:

Hulu is 4k and Dolby Digital when casting, but 1080P and not Dolby Digital when using the app.

HBOMax is no longer Dolby Digital except for Wonder Woman 1984.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Subscribed... when Vudu audio is fixed, I'll consider swapping the GTV and Shield Pro '17 (running GTV launcher) which currently reside in the master bedroom and theater respectively. D+ audio fix would be great as well, but I'm not getting Atmos from D+ on my Shield either. Vudu is a dealbreaker, though, as that's the only way to get Atmos for the bulk of my streaming purchases.

I'm begging the mods NOT to merge this with the official Sabina/GTV thread... this one serves a very specific purpose of collating data that would take MUCH longer to sift through in the 150+ page official thread.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Curious as well... mainly Vudu, D+, and HBO Max.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My CC4k works well, I have an issue where if you leave it on, and turn the system off, the CC4k turns the tv on after a mintute or 2. Like, when i am done watching the TV, I turn off the receiver and tv, but the cc4k is on, the tv will come back on, but not the receiver. I can turn off CEC on the cc4k, but then it will not turn on. I still trying to figure out how to turn the entire system off in 1 click.

yamaha tsr700
samsung tu7000
fios.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My CC4k works well, I have an issue where if you leave it on, and turn the system off, the CC4k turns the tv on after a mintute or 2. Like, when i am done watching the TV, I turn off the receiver and tv, but the cc4k is on, the tv will come back on, but not the receiver. I can turn off CEC on the cc4k, but then it will not turn on. I still trying to figure out how to turn the entire system off in 1 click.

yamaha tsr700
samsung tu7000
fios.
That's good to hear, but if you have a 5.1 or atmos set up, that's where the problems come into play.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Does anyone know if this is an HBO Max issue or google issue? I'm guessing its HBO because both my shield and CC4K do not pass 5.1 with HBO Max since December 24th.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My understanding is that this is an app issue. Logically if netflix outputs in dolby vision and dolby atmos, but the others don't, then it's not an issue with the capability of the device itself. At least from how I see it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
As far as Netflix supporting Atmos, I see in the Netflix app that it says Atmos, but my receiver (Denon 3700) says "DD+" whenever I play one of the allegedly-Atmos things. I know it will say Atmos in other circumstances.

Is this actually working, and it's Atmos despite reporting otherwise? Or is there a setting I need to change somewhere to get it to actually output Atmos?

·
Registered
135 Posts
As far as Netflix supporting Atmos, I see in the Netflix app that it says Atmos, but my receiver (Denon 3700) says "DD+" whenever I play one of the allegedly-Atmos things. I know it will say Atmos in other circumstances.

Is this actually working, and it's Atmos despite reporting otherwise? Or is there a setting I need to change somewhere to get it to actually output Atmos?
I think that has to be on your end somehow, because atmos works for me and others on netflix.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Does it show Atmos on your receiver or DD+? I'm wondering if maybe this is the difference between the 2017 Shield passing it through so the receiver sees Atmos, and the Chromecast decoding it so the receiver only see DD+?

Otherwise, I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong. The Chromecast shows "Atmos over DD+" as a supported format, the Netflix app shows Atmos, just the receiver doesn't show it as coming in that way.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Does it show Atmos on your receiver or DD+? I'm wondering if maybe this is the difference between the 2017 Shield passing it through so the receiver sees Atmos, and the Chromecast decoding it so the receiver only see DD+?

Otherwise, I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong. The Chromecast shows "Atmos over DD+" as a supported format, the Netflix app shows Atmos, just the receiver doesn't show it as coming in that way.
You may need to toggle between audio sources/settings on your AVR to see if Atmos activates. If you're seeing "Atmos" as an option for the content within Netflix, then it should work, otherwise, the Atmos logo would not appear if your system was not compatible with the format in some form or fashion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So glad that I found this thread. I was going crazy with Movies Anywhere as several of my titles display the ATMOS logo, but when I play them, it only outputs 5.1 to my soundbar. Tried changing just about every setting and every cable until I found this forum!
My setup:
CCwGTV ---> LG OLED65CXPUA ---HDMI(ARC)--->Sony HTST5000

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
If you set your display to 24fps and play CBS All Access, you get massive frame hitching. This does not occur on the same app on the Shield TV 2019.

·
Registered
226 Posts
So glad that I found this thread. I was going crazy with Movies Anywhere as several of my titles display the ATMOS logo, but when I play them, it only outputs 5.1 to my soundbar. Tried changing just about every setting and every cable until I found this forum!
My setup:
CCwGTV ---> LG OLED65CXPUA ---HDMI(ARC)--->Sony HTST5000
Do you get any dropped frames or video stuttering when playing Dolby Vision movies in Movies Anywhere app? I have a B8 and C8 OLED with the CCGTV and cannot use the app due to this.

Best scene I've found (and provided to MA and Google) is Frozen II timestamp 645 to 715 where it pans to the title and then zooms to castle. It's a juttery mess on MA, plays back perfectly on Vudu or Disney+.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts