AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
I've noticed my true wireless 5.0 Bluetooth earbuds don't work with Disney plus and With apple tv plus get an error code come up .they are fine with YouTube and prime.
Probably because Disney+ enforces DRM more than other apps. BT audio is not DRM protected. I know if you root your device, D+ will stop working completely.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Guys....atmos is working on disney+! Both the preview screen is showing atmos as well as my receiver! Can anyone else confirm?! Was there a recent update?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I can confirm Atmos on D+, all I tested.

Still no Dolby Vision!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great to hear! This is so exciting as I just installed atmos speakers in my ceiling like a week ago. I have it connected through denon 3400 to a benq tk850 which doesn't accept DV so i was only concerned about atmos but that's lame it still doesn't do DV

·
Registered
135 Posts
Can confirm as well, D+ now has Atmos !! This is great news as this is the first app to update to atmos that didn't have it before on CCGTV I believe. Now....just for Vudu!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I spent a good 4 days with the CC and its really solid but not quite a replacement for my ATV4k. I was hoping to move the ATV4k downstairs and use something else as my primary streamer but as of today, the ATV still sticking around. I like the ATV 4k but the remote is trash and the interface is aging a bit.

Anyway, here are my observations as I hope they help someone:

• Setup - Couldn't be easier, I really like the app based setup and the ease of use that the remote was setup to work with my LG OLED B7A and Denon AVR was flawless. 5/5
  • Picture Quality - Initially, I thought the PQ was off and my family agreed. I let the device sit for a bit and turned off match content (yes, off) and the picture was much better. If the ATV4k is a 5/5 on PQ, I'd give this a solid 4/5.
  • Ease of use - Very easy to use and I like the interface and the remote is excellent. Nice that the remote is less line of sight (maybe its RF). I'd give the remote a 4/5 as it feels cheap and the side volume buttons are odd. Bonus points for the mute button. I'd give it a 4.5/5.
  • Speed - Here is where the ATV4k shines and really what keeps it staying for now. It's so damn fast. The CC is good but it's laggy in the menus and sometimes the buffering lags. Also, a few of the apps feel less than baked. Disney+ seems to be missing DV and Amazon Prime feels sloppy. Amazon Prime especially buffers a lot and it crashed a few times on me. I'm sure that this will get cleaned up but I am really hoping that Google can work on the responsiveness of the UI. I'd give it a 3/5.
  • Bonus points - Thhe HDMI CEC works flawless with my gear. The ATV4k can be hit or miss.
The CCwGTV is really good. If I didn't already have the ATV4k, it'd be the clear winner. In fact, at $50, it makes the price point on the ATV4k look downright silly.

·
Registered
424 Posts
As far as Match Content, I turned it on as soon as I got my CCwGTV. But I wonder, if the setting is OFF so the CC is applying HDR to everything, is it safe to assume that if the source already has HDR10/DV or whatever, then the CC passes that through unaltered? ie. it just applies HDR (effect) to SDR sources, yes?

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Forced HDR never looked good on any platform. I don't know why anyone would like it.

The main PQ problem with CCwGTV is inferior upscaler. If you use it on 4K TV, most 2K content will look kind of blurry if you pay close attention to it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah, CCwGTV forced HDR doesn't look great to me on SDR content like YouTube, but it is nice that I don't get a blankj screen for a sec or two when going b/t Netflix menus and HDR content. I was wondering if it was same to assume that CCwGTV only applies it's fake HDR to SDR content and doesn't doesn't do anything to HDR.

My TV only does HDR10, no DV. If Match Content is disabled, then does DV content display in DV I assume and not HDR10, which is what I assume CCwGTV applies to everything w/not forced to match content?

Yeah, I'm with you on the scaler. I wish there was a Match Resolution option to just pass through native signal and let me receiver or TV do upscaling.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Based on my test on my DV capable TV, it will stay on DV mode for everything. The only exception is my HDHomeRun TV app. When it plays 4K cable TV with HLG, it will switch over to HLG. Otherwise, it stays in DV mode for everything else.

·
Registered
424 Posts
So if you played an HDR10 (no DV) title w/Match Content ON you would get DV from CCwGTV? Ugh, transcoding or whatever from the source's HDR to DV sounds like a bad idea.

But we knew Match Content was a bad idea already. Now it just sounds worse, lol.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Just curious, is there a way to install an ad blocker with this for YouTube?

I currently have YouTube Premium, mostly because I switched from Pandora to Youtube Music, but I am becoming less and less happy with YouTube Music. I also do not want to support YouTube, with all the censorship and demonetization that Google has been doing lately, so would like to cancel my Family YouTube Premium plan.

On the other hand, I don't want to deal with ads on YouTube. Any ideas?

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
There are 3rd party YouTube apps to do just that. You have to side load it though which requires additional steps (you need first enable developer mode on your CCwGTV),

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is there a problem playing DV content on CBS All Access/Paramount+ on the CCWGTV?

Is there a problem playing DV content on HBO Max on the CCWGTV?
To answer some of my own questions, Dolby Vision plays with minor stutter (occasional dropped frames) on HBO Max. Also, average brightness is lower and color seems muted compared to internal apps/Airplay on my LG CX. I have to turn on Advanced Contrast Enhancer to medium and bump color up 10 points to get a comparable picture via the CCWGTV.

As with HBO Max, Dolby Vision plays with minor stutter, and average brightness and color saturation are lower, with Paramount+ on the CCWGTV. Also, audio on Paramount+ is limited to PCM Stereo even though Dolby Digital 5.1 is enabled (and plays fine on other services).

I'm really mystified how Dolby Vision can look so much dimmer and less saturated via CCWGTV compared to internal apps. Match Dynamic Range is enabled on the CCWGTV, HDMI Deep Color is enabled on the CX, and the CCWGTV is connected directly to the TV.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
To answer some of my own questions, Dolby Vision plays without stutter on HBO Max but average brightness is lower and color seems muted compared to internal apps/Airplay on my LG CX. I had to turn on Advanced Contrast Enhancer to medium and bump color up 10 points to get a comparable picture via the CCWGTV.

Dolby Vision plays with minor stutter (occasional dropped frames) on Paramount+. As with HBO Max, average brightness and color saturation are lower with the CCWGTV. Also, audio on Paramount+ is limited to PCM Stereo even though Dolby Digital is enabled (and plays fine on other services).

I'm really mystified how Dolby Vision can look so much dimmer and less saturated via CCWGTV compared to internal apps. Match Dynamic Range is enabled on the CCWGTV, HDMI Deep Color is enabled on the CX, and the CCWGTV is connected directly to the TV.
Could it be on different TV picture settings? For example, my Sony TV has Dolby Vision Dark and Dolby Vision Bright, two different picture settings profile. And it can be configured per HDMI input as well as for internal apps. Most TVs want to show off itself vibrant color and often set its internal app to use more vibrant picture settings which will not be darker and muted Movie mode.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
To answer some of my own questions, Dolby Vision plays without stutter on HBO Max but average brightness is lower and color seems muted compared to internal apps/Airplay on my LG CX. I had to turn on Advanced Contrast Enhancer to medium and bump color up 10 points to get a comparable picture via the CCWGTV.

Dolby Vision plays with minor stutter (occasional dropped frames) on Paramount+. As with HBO Max, average brightness and color saturation are lower with the CCWGTV. Also, audio on Paramount+ is limited to PCM Stereo even though Dolby Digital is enabled (and plays fine on other services).

On my TCL, with Dolby Vision, the advanced settings is normally set for Native, with my external streaming devices. With the CCWGTV, the colors are muted. However, if I change from Native, to Auto, the colors are brilliant!

This is the only streamer, that does this? So instead of plugging my CC into the receiver, it's plugged directly into the TV!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Could it be on different TV picture settings? For example, my Sony TV has Dolby Vision Dark and Dolby Vision Bright, two different picture settings profile. And it can be configured per HDMI input as well as for internal apps. Most TVs want to show off itself vibrant color and often set its internal app to use more vibrant picture settings which will not be darker and muted Movie mode.
Good thought but I made sure to start from a baseline of the same picture mode and settings across the board. Also, I've now compared several Dolby Vision picture modes on the LG. The problem persists across all of them but seems most acute with the Cinema Home mode (which I believe is roughly equivalent to DV Bright). Another oddity: SDR and HDR10 content seem unaffected. This problem seems specific to DV.

Tbh, it reminds of complaints I used to hear about overly dim picture from player-led DV on the Sonys. It's almost like the CCWGTV is somehow preempting or overriding the TV-led DV processing on the LG.

Out of curiosity, have you compared DV via HDMI vs the internal apps on your Sony? Do you use DV Bright or Dark?

On my TCL, with Dolby Vision, the advanced settings is normally set for Native, with my external streaming devices. With the CCWGTV, the colors are muted. However, if I change from Native, to Auto, the colors are brilliant!
Interesting... I'm not sure what the equivalent is for LG. I do have something called "HDMI Deep Color" enabled and no problems with SDR or HDR10 content. The poor DV performance is just baffling.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Out of curiosity, have you compared DV via HDMI vs the internal apps on your Sony? Do you use DV Bright or Dark?
I don't use CCwGTV with my Sony TV because there is really no point. However, I use DV Dark all the time because it is a bed room TV and DV bright is too bright. Also, my Sony is now TV-led DV, no longer player-led DV.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Okay, I think I may have figured out what's going on with Dolby Vision over HDMI on my LG CX. Apparently, when the LG gets a Dolby Vision profile from a device like the CCWGTV, it defaults to that instead of using TV-led processing. Apparently, that's how Dolby wants it to work, I guess to standardize the Dolby Vision experience across different TVs.

Just speculating, but it looks like using Cinema Home mode with Dolby Vision over HDMI results in a picture on the LG that's equivalent to Dolby Vision Bright on the Sony. If so, that mode probably tracks the PQ more faithfully than Dolby Vision Cinema Home on the CX's internal apps. I'm going to give it a try for a while and see if my eyes adjust.

81 - 100 of 144 Posts