AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
That cable is listed as compatible for LG G5 only. Probably has some special wiring. Try to pair it with a phone charger.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
The power strip it was plugged into also had USB jacks as well. I tried that route with no luck.

Using a brick from an old phone charger did the trick. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I'm glad to say I'm enjoying this device so far. I like not having to switch around to find stuff. I replaced the TiVo with a HDHomeRun ATSC 3.0. I was already using Plex, so it was a no brainer to integrate that with the HDHR5. I was using the TiVo in conjunction with an Apple TV. I had also previously had a Caavo Control Center. I ended up just using it as a fancy HDMI switcher. The search feature never worked. With the CCwGTV, the voice search works flawlessly and quickly. I don't need to remember what app each show is on. I just speak the name of the show and it comes up.

One improvement I'd like to see:

I think I'd mentioned it earlier (or it might have been on Reddit). On the GTV home screen, I can see the shows that we watch on our Netflix profile, but I also see what my parents are watching in their profile. I'd rather not see what they're watching on our GTV home screen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello there,

Here to confirmed that HBO Max and Apple TV on CCWGGTV already support for Dolby Atmos. It shows Atmos status on my LG sound bar now!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Hello there,

Here to confirmed that HBO Max and Apple TV on CCWGGTV already support for Dolby Atmos. It shows Atmos status on my LG sound bar now!
They've really started to move on Atmos! Now let's hope it finally comes to Google Play Movies, let's get Movies Anywhere done!

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
They've really started to move on Atmos! Now let's hope it finally comes to Google Play Movies, let's get Movies Anywhere done!

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk
I haven't rented act movies yet. I wasn't aware Atmos didn't work in Google Play Movies. I guess I'll need to remember to rent from within the Apple app.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
First official "I think I need to send this back" moment:

We just sat down to watch Godzilla versus King Kong. During the whole opening segment Kong was purple but the colors kept cutting to a different level of intensity. At first I thought it was an artistic choice, but it was way too distracting. Then we started seeing people who were purple or green.

I looked at other HBO Max movies and only the ones with Dolby Vision had that same issue.

I tried resetting the Chromecast and also uninstalled and reinstalled the HBO Max app. Same issue. I pulled out the Apple TV that I had previously disconnected and hooked it up. No problem whatsoever.

There's a lot I really like about this Little annoyances here and there I can overlook. But having the colors inverted on a movie are a little difficult to get past. I did some googling and saw that it's a known issue but I didn't come across any work arounds.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Which TV were you watching on? The purple color sounds like a DV only movie, which almost all DV streamings are, get played back as HDR instead.

I have no problem watching it on my Vizio TV in DV.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
It's an LG CX55.

I turned on Ultra HD Deep Color for the input the CCwGTV is plugged into and that seemed to fix the issue. The colors are no longer inverted.

It's weird that this is necessary in order to get the correct colors.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
All brands of TVs require that kind of extra configuration on each HDMI port. On Samsung, that is called UHD Color. You need to enable it in order to have HDR. On my Sony, depends on which port you connect to, you have to enable either enhanced mode or enhanced DV mode.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
If course when I switched on Ultra HD Deep Color, soap opera mode kicked in so I had to hunt that down and kill it. It also went from Dolby Atmos to Stereo PCM on my Sonos Arc.

So many finicky settings to chase down.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Paused the movie. Switched audio from passthrough to auto. After thirty minutes I started the movie again. Green or purple faces again. Ultra HD was still on. Finished the movie on the Apple TV.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
After the movie was over I went back to CCwGTV. I switched audio back to passthrough and saw the color shift right away. What the hell does switching an audio setting have to do with color?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
After the movie was over I went back to CCwGTV. I switched audio back to passthrough and saw the color shift right away. What the hell does switching an audio setting have to do with color?
I'm curious... Was your Chromecast with Google TV set to output 24hz?

-T

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
HBO Max app is still quite buggy especially on this device. IIRC, there have been similar reports before with purple color shifts on projectors.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
HBO Max app is still quite buggy especially on this device. IIRC, there have been similar reports before with purple color shifts on projectors.

yeah, when I read the purple and green color shifts, it sounded exactly the same as what I used to see on my shield pro when it was set to output 23.976 hz... It was like I was getting the Dolby vision version instead of the HDR 10 version. Luckily HBO Max fixed that problem in February on the shield.

so I wonder if this is a similar issue on the Chromecast with Google tv?

-T

·
Registered
1 Posts
So this little device seems to be the better choice right now, so here's whats working and not working.

Resolution - QTS2.200918.033 firmware adds 4k60 and 4k smpte. Both of these require a restart and 'disable Dolby Vision' (note: I have an LG B6 OLED which does DV at 4k/23.97 but not 4k/60. I usually use 4k/24).
Also the 4k/24 setting doesn't 'stick' as it resets to 1080p on power off/on, or changing the HDMI switch (turning on the receiver for surround).

The "continue watching" list on the home screen is nice, but isn't supported by several apps.
Here's what I have:
Service4kDVAtmosContinue Watching
Amazon PrimeYesYesYesNo
NetflixYesYesYesYes
Disney+YesHDRYesYes
HBOMaxYesYesNoYes
VuduYesYesNoNo
Movies AnywhereYes*Yes*Yes*No
Peacockn/an/an/aYes
Discovery +n/an/an/aNo
Apple TVYesYesNoNo
Paramount +YesNoPCMYes
n/a - no 4k/DV/Atmos content on service
NOTES:
  • Vudu currently outputs only Stereo sound. DV is working.
  • Latest update for HBOMax fixes PCM, most programs are now DD5.1, but Atmos is not working now.
  • Apple TV best I get is PCM stereo. Don't have any + content to test.
  • Kodi works but seems a bit sluggish and I’m having audio sync issues. It runs better once it’s moved to external storage (need a hub).
  • Disney+ is supposed to be working on Dolby Vision.
  • Paramount + (nee CBS All Access) is putting out PCM stereo on everything I played.
  • Movies Anywhere works for about 30 seconds, then gives a DRM error. Even though the path is fully compliant.
*Updates: The QTS2.200918.033 firmware did not affect any apps as far as I see.
Updated 9 Mar - Disney+ Atmos now working.
Please note, this Atmos only works on Amazon Prime IF you also have a 4k TV, if it is only a 1080p TV, Amazon Prime will not send the Atmos content through.

121 - 140 of 144 Posts