AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a quirky little film by Wong Kar-wai, which he evidently did in the middle of working on a huge epic film to avoid getting burned out. Its set in Hong Kong and is composed of two interlocking story lines. Its very quirky with lots of jump cuts and funky camera work. I saw it back when it first came out here in the US, and liked it a lot. One of the stars is Faye Wong (the Madonna of Hong Kong and a complete sweetie pie, at least at the time in 1994.) Its mostly a romantic comedy, with some other Noir-ish elements thrown in, and kind of sexy though not explicit at all.

Its not for everyone, but if you like asian film and want to see something light (in a kind of bittersweet way), its worth checking out.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Dean I like cutie pies from any nation, like Angelina Jolie when she was in Hackers (1995) age 20 nice hair cut.

Thanks for your review so many come and just post titles. Unless I see it on the net, I have no idea of what it's about. :)

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not terribly great looking, but its such a cute flick that I am willing to be forgiving to a certain degree. It doesn't completely suck, and some of the scenes are pretty good looking. The sound is kind of bad with a good bit of distortion, particularly with heavy S'es and all of 'waaaahhhh' sounds at the end of seemingly ever sentence in Cantonese.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, BTW, my "Joy Luck Club" DVD should be here today or tomorrow I would think. But I'm going to save it for when I'm in the mood to have my heart danced on.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Today, I was at the local "fye" store, and was pleasantly surprised to find two copies of Chungking Express, priced at $9.95 each. Of course, I grabbed one immediately.

I've just finished watching it. The movie is great. The DVD transfer is not too bad. At $9.95, I can't complain. If you live nearby Quaker Bridge Mall in Lawrenceville, NJ, I would strongly suggest that you go get the other copy first thing tomorrow morning! You can visit fye's web site at www.fye.com . The price there is $9.95 plus shipping. deepdiscountdvd sells for $14.39 shipping included.

By the way, a question: What does "Chungking Express" (or the Chinese title "Chungking Forest") mean to the movie? I guess I've got to watch it a few more times to pick up all the little things I missed the first time.

Charles

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At under $10, its a steal and worth a chance even if you think it might not necessarily be your cup of tea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.