AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from a smaller church and we are trying to make a couple of more changes to our media setup. I want to be as responsible with our budget as I can be, as well as the smartest quality and technology wise. I was hoping for some help from you all. Thanks in advance everyone, hopefully I am not too confusing.

Current Setup:

Last year we upgraded our projector setup to two BenQ MX518 2800 Lumen XGA DLP Projectors which outputs a split signal from an HDMI Splitter in 1024x768 off a new edition Mac Mini's HDMI port (the standard monitor is using the Mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt port). We use ProPresenter as our output software. We currently have two small Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD 1080p LCDs in our lobby that runs a welcome loop off a DVD.

Next Step:

We would like to have those two lobby Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD 1080p LCDs run off of the Mac Mini feed as well to make it easier to allow people to know a little better what is going on inside the sanctuary and to be able to change the graphics easier than burning a new DVD.

Near Future Plan:

We would like to video service with a camera running into the Mac Mini and ProPresenter's live feed feature then output those just to the lobby and possibly other rooms such as the nursery in the future.

My Current Thoughts:

Replace our Two-Way HDMI Powered Splitter with a Four-Way one (two to the Projectors, two to the lobby LCDs)

Then when we are ready for the next step we buy the Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital SE unit which ProPresenter supports with their Multi-Screen Module feature. Hook it up from the Mac Mini using the Mini-Display Port and move the standard monitor over to the HDMI port. The TripleHead unit gives us three DVI outputs (one output reserved for unknown future use). One output will use a DVI to HDMI adapter to hook up to our old Two-Way HDMI Powered Splitter and go to the two Projectors. The other output will use the same type adapter and go to the newer Four-Way HDMI Powered Splitter and run out to the lobby LCDs and any other ones needed. The ProPresenter Multi-Screen Module will then allow us to send out the live video feed layer to the external feeds and leave the projectors with the normal graphics like sermon notes and verses.

My Concerns:

The signal quality with any of these steps but so far the powered splitters have been seamless. Distance should never really be an issue either our campus isn't huge, The two lobby LCDs are closer then the projectors we are already using without loss

The DVI to HDMI adapters causing problems (we really would like to keep using HDMI).

Resolutions!?!? I am worried about the two LCD televisions mirroring the 1024x768 signal from the projectors and any type of conflicts I might have there (the 4:3 and 16:9 scaling isn't a concern I understand the LCDs will more than likely have that 4:3 stretched out to 16:9 but the current DVD loop is already doing that anyway since it is ran off a Co-Axial adapter). Now even more worries will come with the future plans of running the TripleHead unit. I know I am going to have to send out identical 1024x768 signals from this but again I am worried about more conflicts.

Any advice or comments welcome

Thanks again, Shaun

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Shouldn't cause you any issues if you are buying quality equipment and you are aware of the differences in resolution and how that will impact image quality on the higher resolution displays.

Still, should work just fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as the two projectors have the best image quality the other feeds will all be on small displays so we aren't as concerned with those

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
One option where you have so many possible future options to cover would be to consider an HD over LAN solution – you give away a little image quality, though nothing your congregation are going to notice without a direct comparison with the native feed.

HD over LAN utilises a Transmitter plus a Receiver connected via a single CAT6 cable – you can wire them direct as a 1:1 Extender, use a Gigabit Switch with 1 x Transmitter and Multiple Receivers to create a Distribution Network or use a Managed Gigabit Switch with multiple Transmitter and Multiple Receivers to create a Matrix.

There is no change to the HD over LAN hardware or software required to go from 1 to 1, 1 to Many or Many to Many - http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI_extender_LAN_HDDSX.html

Resolution/format wise I guess where you have a mix of Native Display formats you have to decide what you optimise for (1024x768 or 1920x1080) – I would be tempted to have a play with working at 1920x1080 on the Mac and seeing how that looks on the Projector and LCD TV’s.

Joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've looked into this solution before we just are unable to afford that route and with our building being so small it is really not necessary yet. Thank you for the future information though, this is a lot better than what I found before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand  /t/1522968/church-building-setup-worries#post_24497191

One option where you have so many possible future options to cover would be to consider an HD over LAN solution – you give away a little image quality, though nothing your congregation are going to notice without a direct comparison with the native feed.

HD over LAN utilises a Transmitter plus a Receiver connected via a single CAT6 cable – you can wire them direct as a 1:1 Extender, use a Gigabit Switch with 1 x Transmitter and Multiple Receivers to create a Distribution Network or use a Managed Gigabit Switch with multiple Transmitter and Multiple Receivers to create a Matrix.

There is no change to the HD over LAN hardware or software required to go from 1 to 1, 1 to Many or Many to Many

Resolution/format wise I guess where you have a mix of Native Display formats you have to decide what you optimise for (1024x768 or 1920x1080) – I would be tempted to have a play with working at 1920x1080 on the Mac and seeing how that looks on the Projector and LCD TV’s.

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts