AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here I am, US guy on business assignment in Italy for the next 6 months. Only brought 1 console over, my 360elite. I know the whole NTSC vs PAL issue so I brought all my games over as most I need to get those achievements that I'm slacking on as well as finish the SP (mostly in harder difficulties). Besides, I can't buy games here as they are PAL region coded and my 360 is US (NTSC).

I know LIVE works all over the world but I have a major issue with it at my apartment. I have wireless access but it is limited per a time period (very expensive too). Besides I don't have the wifi adapter so my MP game time will be 0 for the next 6 months
BTW, before anyone says you're in Italy!' yes I know, but this is for rainy days, which in my area happens a lot. Like the last 3 days it's rained on and off and past 2 it's been so damn foggy you can't see the nice sites so well. Besides, site seeing is for the weekends

So I brought over a nice 500w power step down transformer that works well but since the crappy supplied apartment TV is an SD 19" CRT via PAL format (50Hz as opposed to NTSC's 60Hz) it outputs in slightly fuzzy black and white. Figured since I need a new PC monitor back in the states, now's the perfect time. I sourced a dual voltage (110-220v) monitor with fast 2ms response time (good to use later on for PC & PC gaming) and need to know if you guys in the know think it's a good buy. I can connect it via HDMI, which btw they sell here for cheap! See link below:

http://compraonline.mediaworld.it/we...tegory_rn=1509

Do you guys think this is a good dual purpose monitor? For gaming on 360 here in Italy as well as PC gaming in the US later on? Audio wise I'll be using my Astro A40 headset with mixamp. The only other monitor I found that seems to be good is a dual voltage 22 Asus gaming monitor that has component connections, built in speakers, built in camera, but costs more than double the Fujitsu/Siemens one I linked above. Let me know and thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Honestly, and don't hate me for this, having the 360 is great, but if you spend more than a solid weekend playing the thing while you're in Italy you need your head examined.

Six months isn't alot of time, and it'll be over before you know it...you don't want memories of your time there 10 years down the road to be "yeah I saw a museum, ate at a few bars, drank some limoncello and played xbox 360 all the time!". Thats wasted opportunity

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Where in Italy? Been there three times, but sadly I was usually stuck on base. Did get to go to Rome once though and a little around the Brindisi area.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The specs look good and I had a Fujitsu/Siemens that did well for me in the past. I'd get it my only concern would be the native resolution and which input would work best. I think VGA would be a safer bet.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HeadRusch, I forgot to mention, I'm an insomniac. Most of my gaming happens during the week in my insomniatic state
I could spend it on the internet but since here the internet here is a rip... I'll be passing on that and spending my time watching movies, playing games and reading when not seeing the Italian sites. I am planning to go myself, with coworkers, with the misses and friends (when they visit) touring and seeing Italy as well. Those who come visit will be hanging out in my apartment. Besides, the boss mentioned after my work assignment is complete he'll give me an extra 2 weeks at my disposal so any places I haven't seen in my 6 months time I'll be checking them out then. Also, I'll be the lead contact to come back to Italy when another project arises. This weekend I won't even be gaming at all, I'll be learning what the city of Parma is all about. It's not like I'll only have these 6 months though. Wifey's part time gig is working in the airlines and let me tell you, we use her benefits all the time. 1 long weekend I saw most of Paris and experience the 24 Hours of Le Mans

I'm in the Parma area, live in Parma and work just outside of it. Train station is a mere 2 blocks from my apartment so come weekends I'll be touring away with my Nikon DSLR

Sorax, thanks for the info. I did see a VGA cable connect at the store for not that much, 30eu I believe. Since I have the means to connect via HDMI I might go this route.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts