AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 4805 have better inboard processing for ‘scope applications?

My sources are a Toshiba 3960 DVD player and a Digeo Moxi DVR cablebox from Charter. The 3960 is a 480i source. The Moxi is either 480i, 720p or 1080i depending on channel. All cabling is component. Both 4805 and 7210 are running.

The 4805 can take a 2.35 letterboxed image from either source and – after pressing the PJ “letterbox†function – stretch that image tall/skinny to the full panel (854x480).

So far so good …

Enter the 7210:

The DVD as source still results in the same tall/skinny full panel (1280x720) after a “letterbox†resize. However a Moxi letterboxed image will not anamorphically scale on the 7210. “Letterboxing†a letterboxed cable movie (2.35 oar) results in a uniformly scaled zoomed-in image. Not good! Cable is the only HD source I’ve got and half the reason for going ‘scope.

What’s going on? Am I forced to use an outboard processor? :(

lol … UPS just delivered the H1200M.

·
Registered
539 Posts

acksnay said:
Does the 4805 have better inboard processing for ‘scope applications?

The 4805 can take a 2.35 letterboxed image from either source and – after pressing the PJ “letterbox†function – stretch that image tall/skinny to the full panel (854x480).

What’s going on? Am I forced to use an outboard processor? :(

That is interesting that your 4805 will stretch a 2.35 letterbox source. My 4805 will only stretch a anamorphic 2.35 source to full vertical. I can't stretch any letterbox source full vertical (Titanic for one) that is why I'm looking at the DVDO iscanHD+

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By letterbox I mean to describe a 2.35ar movie displayed centered on a 16:9 screen.

So I guess I'm not phrasing it correctly!

So ... a widescreeen presentation with black bars above and below can be vertically stretched correctly by a SP4805 but cannot by a SP7210.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm thinking, to have a good 2.35 CH setup, a scaler is a must. I've only been hooked on this hobby for less than a year, but looking at the modest DVD collection I now have, the aspect ratios are 1.33, 1.78, 1.85, 2.2, 2.3, 2.35, 2.40, 2.55, 2.76. I have 2.35 AR in letterbox & anamorphic, 2.2 in letterbox & anamorphic. I don't have any 2.0 but thats not saying I wont. I realize that anything over 2.35 will have black bars, but all the others I want full hight and full panel and the only way to do this is with a VP or HTPC.

I love my 4805 and will keep it for a year or two more before upgrading. I think a lot of the 4805 owners thought I was nuts when I went CH (H-1000 lens) and some will think I've gone overboard when I get a video processor, but all this CH stuff can be used with the new PJ. I'm hoping that with in introduction of the new DVDO VP30 that the HD+ will come down in price.

Ain't all this stuff is great!!!! :D :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
I second that. You're already into the project several grand. You can't piece this CIH together with duct tape and glue. You could however put together a modest HTPC for about 500-600 dollars that would do very well with CIH. It wouldn't be the most advanced thing out there but it would be remote controlled and the picture would look great. For a decent scaler I think you're talking at least 1000+. Then again you spent well over that for an anamorphic lens.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk
I second that. You're already into the project several grand. You can't piece this CIH together with duct tape and glue. You could however put together a modest HTPC for about 500-600 dollars that would do very well with CIH. It wouldn't be the most advanced thing out there but it would be remote controlled and the picture would look great. For a decent scaler I think you're talking at least 1000+. Then again you spent well over that for an anamorphic lens.
You make a compelling argument for HTPC. Unfortunately that $5-600 PC won't scale my premium HD cable channels. I'm holding out for the time Nvidia debuts a model video card with DVI in. Then I've got my Media Server, HTPC and VP rolled into one versatile, upgradeable box.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An update.

Just for grins, I changed my HD cablebox to output 480i only (thinking I could simulate a DVD player). When the 7210 sync'd to it, I found a 2.35ar movie on HDnet, which correctly showed with black bars top and bottom. When I cycled through the resize function to "letterbox" it did the correct scaling, that is it stretched the image vertically to fill the 16:9 screen just like it can a widescreen DVD.

When I reset the cablebox to output 1080i/720p/480i, that same 1080i movie with black bars just zoomed out linearly with a "letterbox" resize.

Frustrating.

Actually, not just frustrating. It's got to be a bug, otherwise the function should be marked "zoom" for HD and not "letterbox". Time to go bug InFocus ...

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Maybe you could use your 4805 for now.

Seriously...c'mon, try it out with that uber-lens. "Inquiring minds" and all...

Quote:
Time to go bug InFocus ...
I think a quicker and ultimately more effective tact would be your HTPC idea.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Quote:
The infocus 4805 can't scale HD
It's not an HD projector, but it does perform the vertical stretch (not a simple "zoom") on a 1080i component input in "letterbox" AR. Not sure if it scales to 480p first, or if I'm actually gaining information (480 vertical source resolution on 2.35 AR).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.