AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I was active on the forum a while back but settled in to just using my Sanyo Z3 and enjoying it. Well, the upgrade bug hit me again so I just received the Z2000 and I'm ready for 1080p from the PS3.

I have to rework my mount anyway, so I thought now would be a good time to think about doing a 2.35 CIH screen to take advantage of the wide zoom range on the Z2000.

I'm relatively confident I understood how the old DVD + anamorphic lense worked but realize Bluray isn't there. I'm OK with the idea of losing the resolution on the letterbox in a zoomed situation because it's still better than I have now.

I'm currently running a 75 x 42" 16:9 screen. What I plan to do is make a new screen that is 106 x 42" (2.35:1). I figure this way my 16:9 image will remain the same but the wider stuff will have more impact (the whole point of the project). The letterbox bars will overshoot the screen area when I'm zoomed to 2.35 mode, but I don't suspect it will be a problem.

One thing I recently realized is also having to do a bit of vertical lens shift to keep the image centered, but I'm OK with that as well. Are there any other caveats that I'm not aware of?

·
Registered
600 Posts
The main thing I'd suggest is to do some testing by projecting a scope movie at the same height as your current screen. You can see if you will still like the PQ and brightness at the larger size and if there is any noticeable SDE. I posted some factors to consider about zooming here (before I got a scaler and started using the shrink method):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post13506093

1 - 2 of 2 Posts