AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am getting ready to really get my theater construction rolling in the next couple of days, I have been in the planning stages for quite some time now!

I went with a Panasonic PT-AE4000U mainly because its will do scope and is a great projector for the budget. I am wanting to go with a scope screen a 130" wide (preferably) or 120" wide acoustically transparent screen. Below are some room specs:

Completely Light Controlled

Width:14'2"

Length:21'

Seating Distance (with screen 24" off front wall)

Front Row: 11.5' Back Row 17.5'

My Screenwall will be roughly around 2' from my wall which will put my max throw at about 18'-19'. The following calculaters gave me these results using 130" wide 2.37 screen:

Panasonic Calculator
http://www.panasonic.net/avc/project...e4000_235.html

Min Throw: 14.66ft Max Throw:22.18ft

Projector Central Calculator
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Pana...ulator-pro.htm

Recommended Max Throw(in Green):15'8"

Does this mean that the 15'8" would be the optimal spot?... If so that would pretty much set my projector in between rows & with me trying to get my projector within the top of the screen it would interfere with traffic.

I messed around with the projector last night projecting on the drywall and it seemed with my max throw I didnt get as crisp of a picture.

What are peoples solutions to making this projector lens be in the top portion of the screen without the projector interfering with hitting peoples heads etc?

Also im a little unsure on setting the projector up to achieve 16:9 & 2.35 I saw somewhat of a guide on it in the forums somewhere but cannot find it now, can anyone direct me to that?

Ive read/researched alot of stuff on all of this but now have myself confused so any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterJ /forum/post/18240711

Also im a little unsure on setting the projector up to achieve 16:9 & 2.35 I saw somewhat of a guide on it in the forums somewhere but cannot find it now, can anyone direct me to that?

I outlined setup info in the following link :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post18206630

There is some flexibility to the accepted wisdom that the center of the lens needs to be at or below the top of the screen area, albeit with some compromisesee link below:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post18211052

Headroom can be a problem with the AE4k as it has considerable bulk and the mounting limitation to allow dual AR to work in a CIH setup doesn't help. My AE4k is mounted tight to an 8' ceiling, which puts the bottom of the projector at 7'-4. However, it's mounted just above the front edge of my second row riser, which is 12 high, putting the bottom of the projector 6'-4 from the top of the riser.

What I did was mount the projector above and slightly behind the front row seating, which puts it in front of the walking path for the second row seating, so no one ever actually walks directly under the projector. I control the walking path by leaving the ottomans for the second row seating at the front edge of the riser so that it forces people to walk between the ottomans and the second row chairs, which keeps them away from the projector. Plus, I don't have any friends that exceed 6'-4, so that helps too.

My advice is if you're worried about headroomdesign some method of deterring people from walking directly under the projector as I did.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I know that it has to be within the screen area, but what about if I tilt the projector towards the screen? It says in the manual it can be tilted. Do you have any suggestions on figuring out the optimal throw distance?

·
Registered
131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterJ /forum/post/18243036

Thanks for the reply! I know that it has to be within the screen area, but what about if I tilt the projector towards the screen? It says in the manual it can be tilted. Do you have any suggestions on figuring out the optimal throw distance?

If you tilt the projector down toward the screen, you will then have to use keystone correction to return the sides of the image to parallel, which will have a negative impact on picture quality (PQ). I'd advise against it if at all possible. Personally, I'd raise my screen before I resorted to keystone correction.

As far as throw distancethere are PQ trade-offs at both ends of the zoom range, so I'd shoot for as close to mid-zoom as your HT design allows. There is plenty of range with the AE4k to play with.

I wouldn't get completely consumed with the idea that the lens has to be within the screen areamine is 5 above the screen and my 16x9 image is only cropped off the top by 1.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there anywhere in the setup where I can tell how zoomed in the lens is like 1.x etc?

·
Registered
131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterJ /forum/post/18245569

Is there anywhere in the setup where I can tell how zoomed in the lens is like 1.x etc?

Not that I'm aware ofthere may be something in the service menu; I've never messed around in there.

If you take the zoom to both extremes, while observing the size of the 16x9 image, you can judge pretty well where you are in the range.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use a Panasonic PT-A3000U with almost your exact setup and have no problems with light output or sharpness (moved from a panny 900). Projector is ~18.5 from screen right over center back row seat in a light controlled room. I also use a Carada brilliant white 136" diag screen and a prismasonic anamorphic lens. You never listed your ceiling height (which could be a problem) but these panasonic projectors have pretty good lens shifting capabilities. I would try to avoid tilting the projector.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Everyone! My Ceiling Height is 9' in the front 8' in the back bc of the riser.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can anyone help me with my throw distance for an "optimal throw" according to projector central around 16' but panasonic seems to say otherwise....

My will be 130" SeymourAV acoustical transparent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts