AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Kettering, OH (Dayton area). Does anybody know, do I have a good chance at picking up Cincinnati DTV in my area? I've heard opinions both ways.

·
Registered
105 Posts
IMHO, you should be able to receive the DTV channels Ok. In relatively flat terrain (like Ohio), reception starts to become problematic at around 60 miles (of course, there are a *lot* of variables that can increase or decrease this distance). From what I can tell, looks like you're about 40-50 miles away, right?

For reference, you might want to check out http://www.antennaweb.org/antennaweb/ .

------------------

James

DVI/HDCP and DFAST are Pure Concentrated Evil!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think your chances are good if you have the right antenna and are on reasonably high ground. I'm east of Beavercreek (perhaps 10 miles further than you are?) and I get good reception on all 4 digital channels. I have a Dish 6000, a fairly large Channelmaster antenna about 40 ft. off the ground on a tower, and am on fairly high ground. A friend of mine in Bellbrook has a similar setup and gets about the same signal strength.

Dean

·
Registered
45 Posts
I guess it all depends on what kind of antenna you are using. I bought a Radio Shack UHF w/no amp and I can only get CBS from Cincinnati at about 65 on my DTC. I am in Kettering near Dorothy Lane and Wilmington. My buddy in Springboro gets all 4. It is intersting that the folks in Beavercreek are picking up all 4. What antenna are you using fellows?

I guess I dont really want to put a 40' mast on my roof. I have my antenna rigged to my DirecTV dish's pole.

I would love to pick some more channels up. Luckily I do get CBS which has most of the HD programming.

CBS locally was supposed to come on line in May of this year. Havent heard anything yet. I dont think I will cross my fingers.

I cant recall the model# of the RS antenna I picked up. It was the $59.00 that had a green rating and is supposed to pick UHF up 100+ miles away "shrug"

DWhite

zx7r

[This message has been edited by zx7r (edited 06-26-2001).]

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To my Dayton friends -

Regarding WHIO (CBS in Dayton) and their HDTV plans, I received the following response to my inquiry of them:

ACCORDING TO FCC RULES, THE DAYTON MARKET MUST BE TRANSMITTING A DIGITAL PICTURE BY MAY, 2002. WHIO IS CURRENTLY INSTALLING ITS NEW TRANSMITTER, THE HARDLINE AND ANTENNA WAS PUT UP THIS PAST FALL. WE SHOULD START TESTING EARLY JULY. WE WILL BE FOUND ON CHANNEL 41.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Any interest in forming a Cincinnati/Dayton HDTV group? We could probably help provide the local broadcasters with info regarding their many tweaks it seems they make and also show them that someone is watching.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In response to zx7r's question about antenna type, I am using a Channelmaster 1162A. Its 139 inches long, and has gain of 3.9 db VHF low band, 8.0 db VHF high band, and 8.5 db UHF. I don't use a preamp, I tried the antenna mounted cartridge preamp from Channelmaster and it actually works better without it. I think the strong Dayton stations are the problem with the preamp.

Dean

·
Registered
91 Posts
I live in Huber Heights, have an attic mounted channel master UHF only Antenna with AMP, and recieve about an 80% signal for WKRC CBS. Cant get the others, although Fox comes in sometime, and I have never tried the ABC since it is VHF.

Doubt it in Columbus though, but you ought to try. I was surprized from Dayton.

·
Registered
70 Posts
rockcola:

i'm thinking about trying, but i'm moving in a few months, so i don't want to waste the ime installing a anntenna when i have to take it right back down. Plus, i want to check around and see what is the best ant. for me (especially being in a apartment complex) When you say "attic", is that within the house in the attic or on top of the house? Radio shack sells a large vhf/uhf atn that is suyppose to reach over 200 miles with a pre-amp ( which would be enough to get cinn and possible clev if i can prevent a multipath issue). With the cost of the equip, i'm trying to get a confidence boost from someone in my vicinity so i know i'm not wasting my time and money.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm in Springboro and down in a valley on Heatherwood golf course. I am using a 2 row, flat, bow antennae mounted outside and as high as I could get it (worked on location for a good 30+ hours including attic mounted with a very large one and it didn't work).

I get all 4 stations in Cinci with a 78 to 90% on my Dish 6000. also have a 5000 with Panasonic STB-50. Both work about the same. I did notice that channel 9 or 10, I believe, fades in and out on both set ups. Reportedly, it is doing the same at other locations around Dayton although the signal strength is at 80% ??? strange.

------------------

Michael James

Cincinnati, Ohio

Runco 5800 RPTV 65"

Lexicon MC-1

3 Sunfire Amplifiers

B&W 803's, Center Rears

Pioneer DV-05

Faroudja 2200 Scaler

Pioneer CLD-99

2 Grey Power Stations

PS Audio 300

Pronto Remotes

Automated Blinds, Lighting, Retractable Mirror

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm located in Xenia, OH and I installed a Channel Master UHF only antenna in the attic pointed towards Cincinnati and I receive all four stations with signal strengths 85+. I cannot lock onto channel 9 (ABC) for some reason even though my signal strength is 86. I tried a Channel Master AMP but it actually made things worst so I removed it. I'm using a Sony HD-100 STB and have audio / video sync problems with all the Cincinnati stations.

John

·
Registered
110 Posts
I live on the north side of Cincy, and I would love to pick up WBNS from Columbus, as WKRC seems to forget to throw the switch sometimes. No luck, though. I think 100 miles is just too far for even the digital channels. I have no problem picking up Dayton - except for channel 2 (no big surprise, since it is a low channel on the VHF spectrum).

[This message has been edited by tevansen (edited 06-29-2001).]

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am about 70 miles from the WBNS Columbus tower and it is a no-go. I have e-mailed them and they say that they are not nearly at full power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.