AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any 1st hand experience in comparing the Cincinnati market between TW cable and Direct in terms of HDTV? I currently have digital cable (basic tier), but haven't pulled the trigger on a HD set. It appears from my TWC research that I can switch out my digital box for a HD box and for @$7 bucks more pick up a few additional HD stations along with the 6 or so that I would automatically get. My big question has to do with what a BB salesguy told me on Sunday. I was there during the playoff game and I asked him why they didn't have it on. He said that although it was telecast in HD, that since CIncinnati was not a top ten market, Time Warner didn't get the HD feed. You could only get it if you had direct TV because they send the HD signal to all subscribers. Is this true? I'm fairly happy with TWC, but if I can't get major sports in HD because were not a top ten market, I'd consider Direct. BB did seem to have a special on Direct TV sales and installation so I don't know if I can trust what this guy says. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
680 Posts
That is not true. I have TWC here in Cincinnati and watched the CBS playoff game in HD. Superbowl will be in HD as well. You can get the following local channels in HD when they are showing HD programs: ABC, NBC, and CBS. If you subscribe to HBO or Showtime you can also get their HD channel at no additional charge. TWC does have a HD package for around $7 a month but I don't think it's worth it for the current four channels included in package. Fox doesn't show game in HD for cable or Directv. If you already have a digital box you can just exchange for a HD box at no additional charge, you only need one box. My HD box is $7.49 a month. If you get the HD box make sure you get the Pioneer box and not the SA 3100HD box. The pioneer is suppose to be better. I'm going to switch my box today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aporter, thanks for your feed back. I thought what the Best Buy guy told me sounded odd. They were really pushing it, must be making big commissions on it. Btw, what kind of HDTV set do you have? I'm still in the market, but have a size limitation thats pushing me to the Sony GW 42 or the Samsung DLP, both are pricey.

Chip

Anderson Township

·
Registered
680 Posts
Chip - I have a 51 inch Hitachi RPTV that I've had for over a year now. HD looks great on it. I'm in the early stages of finishing my basement that will have a dedicated theater room with a front projector. I had Directv once and it was good, but gave TWC a try when I moved. Also, the initial cost to get HD with Directv can get expensive for the HD box and antenna that you would need for hd local channels. TWC local HD is free except for the monthly box charge.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
TWC here has

ABC

CBS

NBC

PBS

DiscoveryHD

...for 'free' in the regular digital tier.

If you have HBO and or Showtime, you get the HD version of the channel for 'free'.

For a few extra bucks a month, you can get the HD Tier of InHD, InHD2, HDNet, and HDNet movies. ESPN will likely join this tier at some point.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I noticed over the weekend that I'm still getting all four channels for free as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael St. Clair
TWC here has

ABC

CBS

NBC

PBS

DiscoveryHD

...for 'free' in the regular digital tier.

If you have HBO and or Showtime, you get the HD version of the channel for 'free'.

For a few extra bucks a month, you can get the HD Tier of InHD, InHD2, HDNet, and HDNet movies. ESPN will likely join this tier at some point.
Is that extra $6.95 (permonth) HD teir worth the money? What kind of shows are on there? Do they show the same thing all day long? How about the HD movie channel?

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.