Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeff..

The game was a sleeper but the quality was good, although the audio was rather messed up for a lot of the first quarter. I'm guessing that was CBS' fault as they kept going back to the 4:3 feed. A lot. And I don't recall the 4:3 picture having 12's bug in the corner, which is how I can tell it wasn't a local switch. But it was all settled by the second quarter and looked great after that.

Spent yesterday in the attic trying to "fine tune" my Dayton signal and wound up with a worse signal than I'd had to begin with . May try a tripod (instead of the bungee cords) and a bigger signal amp this morning. The 3-floor stair climbing constituted a nice workout.

Doc

·
Registered
79 Posts
I currently have my prog scan DVD and TWC HD box hooked to the 2 inputs. Will do some reasearch to check out component switchers. It's been hard to justify to the wife why I have to spend 500.00 + to watch TV over an antenna. She takes it pretty well though. She couldn't understand why I needed 5 speakers and a subwoofer either, but she gets it now! Gotta love her, she puts up with it well!

Thanx Guys!

griff

·
Registered
70 Posts
Question for the gurus here....

I am finally moving out of my basement apt. to a third floor condo unit on a hill in Fairfield (behind the Volkswagen dealer). What do you think my chances at reception are with an indoor antenna? The condo association rules are hazy on external antennas and I thought for now I would try the path of least resistance.

Thanks!

-Bryan

·
Super Moderator
18,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bryan..

Pretty darn good. If not, search this forum (or the internet) for "OTARD" to get details on what you can and cannot do in an apartment/condo.

Doc

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dr. Don:

"Laird..

FWIW, "Sopranos" is in HD, 16:9 "

I receive Sopranos in 16:9, however the actual picture is 4:3 with black bars on the side. Is your reception different?

LL

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
WXIX-DT is on the air at 3pm, I'm getting a steady, strong signal from them.

·
Super Moderator
18,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The part must have come in and they're testing it out.

Doc

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Depending upon what they replaced, it's possible they may stay on the air for a while before going back to their reduced schedule.

If they stay up tonight, it will be interesting to see if they provide Boston Public in Widescreen on the 1st subchannel, and the U.C. game on the 2nd subchannel.

WKRC-DT didn't have CBS HD last night, most likely because of the Denver VS. SD game running late. WHIO-DT Dayton did have CBS HD last night from 8-11pm however, since they carried the 1pm Miami vs. Bills game with no game at 4.

·
Super Moderator
18,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Nitewatchman
WKRC-DT didn't have CBS HD last night, most likely because of the Denver VS. SD game running late. WHIO-DT Dayton did have CBS HD last night from 8-11pm however, since they carried the 1pm Miami vs. Bills game with no game at 4.
I think CBS only uses one transponder for both East and West HD feeds. I've seen them go directly from the end of "CSI: Miami" to the beginning of "King of Queens" when the WKRC tech was late on the switch.

So, yeah, I'd guess they're stuck with "on-time" feeds. Even if most of the CBS affiliates carried the late game, they'd SILL have to stay on time with the HD feed just to have the transponder clear by 8PM West Coast time. Unless the 8pm show is SD. That would leave them some leeway.

I'm sure this will change in the future...

Doc

·
Registered
140 Posts
Jeff said:

WKRC-DT didn't have CBS HD last night, most likely because of the Denver VS. SD game running late.

My guess is that any tape delay from football won't be HD for a while.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Doc+Chazcron,

Yeah. Of course, If they don't have the ability to time delay HD, "technically speaking" they could have went ahead and carried the HD feed starting at 8pm on 31-1.

I did notice that right after the game was over WKRC-DT flipped to the HD feed ... for about 1/2 of a second before switching to the upconvert from NTSC.

If I understand correctly, because of "Indiana time" in the summer Indy stations do record the HD feeds from the networks to begin playback an hour later.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
At 7:20pm --- WCET-DT 34 is On the Air, apparantly testing ... Currently running a HD Test Pattern at 7:22pm. If they are only running 7KW ERP as their recently applied for STA from FCC would indicate, I'm pulling them in very well from up here(32 Miles). Not that it means much, but I'm getting a solid 70 reading from the DTC-100, no dropouts or pixelization.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Attached are 2 screenshots taken with a digital camera of WCET-DT's HD test pattern tonight .. Am I a geek or what

·
Super Moderator
18,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not getting 34, but 12 has put the PSIP back in the stream. 31 is remapping, again.

Doc

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
34 is still on the air at 8pm with the test pattern.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Jeff,

Thanks for the heads-up on DT-34.Initial attempt on the DTC-100 produced a lock with some video and a solid 34 reading.

So,I went out and raised the tower from 32ft up to 56ft and now getting a 60-70 reading with the Triax stack.The CM4228,4ft below the stack, gets a lock with a solid 28__28. The 4248 on a 25ft mast out by the garage won't lock.Distance to DT-34 is 53mi.from here.

Yes,you are correct.The Indy stations are required to record Network shows and broadcast an hour later.

GregB

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Max+Doc ...

LOL .. You know, even though conditions for Tropo are dead here tonight, I was thinking ... Since they don't have a on screen ID via the test pattern, it concievably could have been another station! So, I turned the "off air Guides" on, and sure enough, WCET-DT ID is being sent via PSIP.(see attached graphic at bottom)

Funny thing, this morning I tuned to 34 just to check it, and wouldn't you know, I got analog WBKI instead.

Also, that's excellent you are able to pull WCET-DT in from Greensburg, Greg!

From the amount of "8VSB" Snow I can see with my "magic" AFT on an analog TV when tuned to 33, the real signal strength appears to be around, or just a tad less of what I get from WCVN-DT, but nowhere near the very strong signals I get from the other Dayton+Cincy DT's. So, from what it looks like, I'd say it's very possible they are running at or near the 7KW ERP their recently filed STA calls for. The Antenna height on their end(+ Greg's antenna setup on his end) has to be the Big Plus, I believe it's actually on, or very near top of the WLWT/WCET tower, at 1762FT Above Sea Level.

The readings from the DTC's meter don't seem to be much of any indication of signal strength if the signal is probably much more than 20-25dbu or so(A guess) above noise level -- Which I'm sure all of them are are much stronger than that here except for WCVN-DT, and now WCET-DT presently. For example, adding attenuators or splitters doesn't change any of the readings in high 80's+90's I get from all the locals except for WCVN-DT, for which readings in the low 80's drop into the 50's and 60's with approx 3db of attenuation. From what I have seen while Dx'ing, there's not much difference in signal strength needed, perhaps a couple of DB, between a 28 reading and no lock, and a lock at 29, and "usually" perfect DTV reception with a steady 40+ reading.

Anyhow, I'm really looking foward to seeing PBS HD!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, so please bear with me if I break any rules I'm unfamiliar with. I tried to read all the rules, but my eyes grew tired and scratchy.

WCET-DT went on the air for the first time tonight at 18:42 EDT. I have no idea what time it was in England. We are running 250 watts into a Dialectric antenna with a gain of about 30X, providing approximately 7KW of effective radiated power. The antenna is about 800 feet up the WLWT tower in Clifton on the north face of the three sided tower structure.

Currently we are running only test signal (color bars), until we get full authorization from the FCC to run program material. Soon we'll begin broadcasting regular programming with HD programming in the evenings whenever the program is available from PBS in high def. There will be a major upgrade of the transmitter in late winter or early spring which will increase our power considerably.

I'm really pleased our signal is getting out as far as Greensburg, Indiana. I'm also pleased to know that at least one person is looking forward to seeing PBS in HD.

By the way, my name is Ed, and I'm chief operator of WCET and WCET-DT.

1 - 20 of 289 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.