AVS Forum banner

15081 - 15100 of 15133 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
The second floor is vinyl sided, the first floor is all brick and glass. Here is my main question, if I put an indoor antenna in the top of the east wing, and point it north west through the vinyl sided wall, and not through any metal roof. Would the metal roof affect me?
Probably not, but the signals will be weaker inside.
The end of that east wing is just a walk in attic type of space. I’m in 45177 (Wilmington, Ohio) so I hope to get Dayton just fine, but would love to pick up Cincinnati and/or Columbus. Would you guys want to recommend an antenna too?
It's difficult to predict the signal strength inside, but I suggest you make some tests for Dayton with an indoor antenna like the Antennas Direct DB4e before going outside.

Just for fun, I tried the Transmitter locator at

https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html

For the closeup, it is necessary to know the proposed antenna location coordinates because you can't move the marker like you can with the TVFool Interactive map.

The azimuth for each transmitter is given in the list of channels below the map. It is also given if you click on the transmitter on the map in addition to the transmitter coordinates. But, for some weird reason, the PBS transmitter is listed as XHIJ! :eek:

The channels are listed by increasing distance instead of decreasing signal strength and they don't list many callsigns; I added WPTD.

This is the way rabbitears.info lists the PBS subchannels, which I much prefer:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,213 Posts
Threads merged. Picked the Cincy thread over the Dayton one as I recall having a lot of Wilmington listeners when I was at WUBE. I'll add a link to the Dayton thread, as well.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hey guys, my house is weird... picture this, a block ‘U’ with the open end facing north east. Also, the east wing is longer than the west wing. The roof slopes to the outside of the ‘U’ in all three directions. So the west wing slopes to the west, the east to the east, and the south to the south. It’s two stories tall. The main front door is in between the wings deep in the open end of the ‘U.’ I have a standing seam steel roof. The second floor is vinyl sided, the first floor is all brick and glass. Here is my main question, if I put an indoor antenna in the top of the east wing, and point it north west through the vinyl sided wall, and not through any metal roof. Would the metal roof affect me? The end of that east wing is just a walk in attic type of space. I’m in 45177 (Wilmington, Ohio) so I hope to get Dayton just fine, but would love to pick up Cincinnati and/or Columbus. Would you guys want to recommend an antenna too? Thanks!!!
If you are going to put one up outside I would recommend this one, it will allow you to point on section towards each location. I would try it in the attic first just to see what you get, then move if outside if need be.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079B4ZWJ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also until WRGT/WKEF go back to full strength WRGT will be hit or miss. I am in 45011 and have one antenna, in my attic pointed towards Cincinnati and another on the back of a garage outside pointed towards Dayton. Until the most recent repack phase I picked up ALL Dayton & Cincinnati channels fine with one of these in my attic just point towards Dayton:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008PBTPOI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also depending on the number of televisions you are planning on feeding one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002M1EPL0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PI09SE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Feel free to ask any more questions or if you need a hand with anything just shoot me a PM, I love projects :)

Bill

·
Registered
543 Posts
Threads merged. Picked the Cincy thread over the Dayton one as I recall having a lot of Wilmington listeners when I was at WUBE. I'll add a link to the Dayton thread, as well.
So the Cincy thread will be for both markets... good idea. Will posts made to the old Dayton thread simply show here? Seems like it should be closed and this thread renamed to Cincy/Dayton?

It's late, trying to quit coffee, maybe I should research a bit before I ramble on. :p

·
Registered
96 Posts
So the Cincy thread will be for both markets... good idea. Will posts made to the old Dayton thread simply show here? Seems like it should be closed and this thread renamed to Cincy/Dayton?

It's late, trying to quit coffee, maybe I should research a bit before I ramble on. :p
I don't think anything has changed but I like your idea of merging them though

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15,089
LOL. Doc was talking about different, indivdual threads the poster from wilmington had created and whether or not to move his posts from those threads to here or instead to Dayton thread/etc given his location, NOT about merging the Dayton/Lima and Cincinnati threads .... Also, Keep in mind, area wise(not population wise), MOST of Dayton DMA is North of I-70 and outside of coverage area of Cincinnati stations ....

·
Registered
96 Posts
LOL. Doc was talking about different, indivdual threads the poster from wilmington had created and whether or not to move his posts from those threads to here or instead to Dayton thread/etc given his location, NOT about merging the Dayton/Lima and Cincinnati threads .... Also, Keep in mind, area wise(not population wise), MOST of Dayton DMA is North of I-70 and outside of coverage area of Cincinnati stations ....
Well you could tell that this old guy had just woke up from a nap. I think I had one eye open lol. I remember when there was a vast area of land
between Cincy and Dayton on I-75. It's looking more and more like one big metro area. I work in the Mason Lebanon area and most of those
I work with live in Dayton. Times change that's for sure

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Well you could tell that this old guy had just woke up from a nap. I think I had one eye open lol. I remember when there was a vast area of land
between Cincy and Dayton on I-75. It's looking more and more like one big metro area. I work in the Mason Lebanon area and most of those
I am a little North of I-70. I am right in the middle of several metro areas. If I turn the rotor I can receive..Indy, Ft.Wayne, Lima, Columbus, Dayton, Cincy, occasionally Louisville. There has been rumors of a train/ shuttle type rail between Dayton-Cincy for years. I could see that taking place one day.

·
Super Moderator
18,213 Posts
The goal is to put reception issue threads where they're the most likely to be seen by someone with intimate knowledge of the market(s) and geography. In the in-between cases, I'll generally pick the closer market, but leave a link in the other market's thread as I've done here. This way, subscribers to both threads see the issue, but all of the responses are directed to one thread. It's less confusing.

"Merge" in moderator terms is when we merge two complete threads together as I've done with this poster's original thread in Technical and this thread. If you see "posts moved" then SOME of the posts from another thread have been relocated to a different thread. If you see "Thread moved" then the whole ball of wax has been relocated to a different section.

I have no plans to merge any two markets' threads. Right now, I'm deciding if I need to rebuild the index as all of those links just broke. Gonna be busy a while. :)

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15,093
I remember when there was a vast area of land
between Cincy and Dayton on I-75.
It was sad for me to see the VOA towers being torn down when driving to work back in, when was it, late 90's, I guess? And I thought I "felt" old then ;)

Reactions: luvmyhdtv and DrDon

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got this from an engineer at Daystar this morning...."Thank you for your email. Our head engineer has told me all of our 30 stations needing to be built will be completed this year. This includes WDYC in Cincinnati".

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15,096
Got this from an engineer at Daystar this morning...."Thank you for your email. Our head engineer has told me all of our 30 stations needing to be built will be completed this year. This includes WDYC in Cincinnati".
Thanks for passing that along -- going to be interesting to see how WLWD-LD gets out on 5, as well as the other dayton LP's on VHF 9 and 10, should they also actually manage to get on air ....

Do hope at least WLWD doesn't come up until after summer e-skip season though ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I got a fairly decent signal from Channel 22 & 45 this morning. It was bouncing back and forth between 2 bars and 4 but signal stayed locked in. First time since the repack I've picked them up

·
Registered
543 Posts
Anyone know why Ch. 64 is off the air? Have not seen it for a good week I believe.
I see it fine on my 2012 Sammy, pixelates here and there enough to keep me from trying anymore, my HDHomerun gets the data flow from the antenna but never manages to tune it using Emby or the HDHR app, telling me the signal is iffy in my area.

Translation: IMO HDHR tuners are sub-par when compared to the typical built-in TV tuner. Before the re-pack Ch 64 was the only Cincy station I could receive, now even it is pretty much unusable. Live in Fairfield near the Aquatic center and golf course.

15081 - 15100 of 15133 Posts