AVS Forum banner

15101 - 15120 of 15133 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I see it fine on my 2012 Sammy, pixelates here and there enough to keep me from trying anymore, my HDHomerun gets the data flow from the antenna but never manages to tune it using Emby or the HDHR app, telling me the signal is iffy in my area.

Translation: IMO HDHR tuners are sub-par when compared to the typical built-in TV tuner. Before the re-pack Ch 64 was the only Cincy station I could receive, now even it is pretty much unusable. Live in Fairfield near the Aquatic center and golf course.
I had a tree limb take down my antenna and 20 foot mast. Using a 4 bay inside right now. That may be the reason then. Once I install the new Televes outdoor antenna I will probably see it again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
WCPO Channel 9 Cincinnati gone

Hi All.

Hope you are all well. I'm a long time antenna user, even before digital. I've been very successful at getting the 5., 9., 12., 19.,64. channels. This spring the reception on channel 9.1 has been sketchy. I've been through this before and it turned out to be the station doing repairs and upgrades. Now its dropped again and I'm concerned. Do I need to upgrade my antenna? Are they doing work again? Thoughts?

Thank you for any info that can be shared. Also, all my other channels are coming in fine. Just 9 is a problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Just curious, but how badly compressed is WBQC-LD with its 12 SD subchannels? I heard that about half of them moved over from WOTH-LD when it sold off its frequency.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just curious, but how badly compressed is WBQC-LD with its 12 SD subchannels? I heard that about half of them moved over from WOTH-LD when it sold off its frequency.

I don’t think it’s half bad, the last time I watched it. (I have a 42” 1080p set, your mileage may vary.)

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I don’t think it’s half bad, the last time I watched it. (I have a 42” 1080p set, your mileage may vary.)
Sounds like they're using modern VBR encoders, which is good. I have a low power station here in the Cleveland area, and with 7 subchannels all being in 480i, the compression is horrible. I think each of their subchannels is getting a constant 1.5 Mbps. There's a new LP station set to sign on soon, so I was concerned about PQ if they decide to carry a bunch of subchannels, most likely all being in 480i.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like they're using modern VBR encoders, which is good. I have a low power station here in the Cleveland area, and with 7 subchannels all being in 480i, the compression is horrible. I think each of their subchannels is getting a constant 1.5 Mbps. There's a new LP station set to sign on soon, so I was concerned about PQ if they decide to carry a bunch of subchannels, most likely all being in 480i.
Compression technology has definitely improved over the years. We had two 8-channel encoders with 16 total networks when Elliott Block owned two stations. We transitioned to a new 12-channel VBR encoder after Elliott sold one of his stations in the FCC Repack Auction. It allowed us to keep 12 of the 16 networks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any news when stations in Cincinnati will start broadcasting OTA signals using the new ATSC 3.0? I had read earlier this year that Cincinnati was one of 40 cities where it would be available sometime in 2020.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Any news when stations in Cincinnati will start broadcasting OTA signals using the new ATSC 3.0? I had read earlier this year that Cincinnati was one of 40 cities where it would be available sometime in 2020.
Gee, it seems like just yesterday I was purchasing OTA HD ATSC 1.0 tuner set top boxes because the TVs didn't have them built in. Now I've got 3 of them gathering dust in the garage.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm not receiving WBQC-CH25 either here in Grant county.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just cut the cord. I have a Antennas Direct Clearstream 4V TV Antenna mounted in the attic of two story in Loveland (45140) pointed to 10 degrees. The thought being maximize potential for the distant towers. The antenna is attached to an Amazon Recast with about 40' of RG6 (no signal amplifier). The Dayton channels are more solid than some/most of the Cinci channels. 19.1 is pretty spotty but sometimes watchable - and we care about this channel because of Jeopardy.

A couple of newbie questions:
1) could I cheat the antenna towards the west to compromise between Dayton and Cinci?
2) is there a signal strength app in the Recast for fine tuning the antenna? The signal strength in the manage channel is qualitative (good, weak) vs a quantitative % signal.

Any advice is more than welcome. Mounting exterior may not be an option because of SWMBO and neighborhood governances.

Phil

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Well first off it depends where you're at in Loveland some parts of loveland are down in a hole and sight to the towers is very difficult.. I'm in maineville and have just a crappy old sensar antenna that is rock solid with Cincinnati simply because I'm high on a hill. I can spin my antenna towards Dayton and because of terrain in between me and Dayton ..even though it's the same distance it's not as strong.. So placement, height and location are huge factors. I am not familiar with that clear stream antenna.. but my second antenna which is rock solid for dayton if I put it up 10' higher is a standard channel master 4880 - which is now called ultrantena60 I believe. Finally, you can tell your HOA to go pound salt.. you have the right to put it up.

15101 - 15120 of 15133 Posts