AVS Forum banner

15121 - 15133 of 15133 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We need the actual link to your results, not an image, so we can see the additional details for each station like the terrain profiles, and so we can examine the post-repack predictions, especially for the Dayton stations like WDTN who is currently at an interim location while they finish their final work.

·
Registered
543 Posts
especially for the Dayton stations like WDTN who is currently at an interim location while they finish their final work
Interesting, didn't know that. From my radio wave black hole in Fairfield I only get Dayton stations, except for WSTR-64 during the cooler months. I also suffer from the Nvidia mpeg2 decoder bug on WDTN that causes annoying pixelation. Here's to hoping something changes eventually so I can use WDTN on my Nvidia Shield.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It looks like the Cincinnati and Dayton stations are around 135 degrees apart. I don’t remember what the beam width of the Clearstream 4 family of antennas are, but it’s got to be much less than 135 degrees. You can try to point it between the Cincinnati and Dayton markets and see how much you can pick up, but you may have to end up pointing it towards just one market.

I remember someone on this forum who lives on the east side of the Cincinnati area who successfully ganged two antennas - one pointing towards Cincinnati and the other point we towards Dayton. That may be your next best bet.

·
Super Moderator
18,213 Posts
Because I like to try unconventional things...

It MIGHT work to take the reflector off of the back of a UHF Yagi and point it at the Dayton stations. You'd be close enough to the Cincy towers to grab them off of the back. Then, combine a VHF-Hi antenna just for WKRC.

Truth be told, you're probably looking at either a rotor or a two-antenna solution with n A/B switch.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just cut the cord. I have a Antennas Direct Clearstream 4V TV Antenna mounted in the attic of two story in Loveland (45140) pointed to 10 degrees. The thought being maximize potential for the distant towers. The antenna is attached to an Amazon Recast with about 40' of RG6 (no signal amplifier). The Dayton channels are more solid than some/most of the Cinci channels. 19.1 is pretty spotty but sometimes watchable - and we care about this channel because of Jeopardy.

A couple of newbie questions:
1) could I cheat the antenna towards the west to compromise between Dayton and Cinci?
2) is there a signal strength app in the Recast for fine tuning the antenna? The signal strength in the manage channel is qualitative (good, weak) vs a quantitative % signal.

Any advice is more than welcome. Mounting exterior may not be an option because of SWMBO and neighborhood governances.

Phil
Phil I've got an old Channel Master 8 bay antenna with their CM7777 amp. I'm in Goshen and have it pointed south -south west. I get all of Cincy and Dayton with no problems. I get Dayton off the back side with no issues. I grew up in Loveland and if you're on a hill you get a decent signal but down in Loveland not such a good signal. The key might be getting the antenna or some kind of antenna outside and not an attic mount if you can. I can tell you without the amp on mine I don't get that many channels. We tried an indoor antenna just for kicks and got only 4 channels. With the amp and the 8 bay outside I get over 60 channels

·
Registered
13 Posts
Since I got excellent advice here, I thought I would circle back and leave my experience: I live in Loveland and I pointed my antenna to 240 degrees (essentially line of sight to downtown Cincinnati). The result is the Cinci channels are rock solid and the Dayton channels are also very, very good (some very rare and minor pixilation). I will say that the antenna is in the attic and mounted very close to the gable end vent so that line of sight to Dayton has less physical interference (i.e. no roof to go through and trees are further away) and the leaves have dropped since I started this process. Hopefully come spring time the signal is as good.
Thanks to this forum, Phil

·
Registered
96 Posts
Since I got excellent advice here, I thought I would circle back and leave my experience: I live in Loveland and I pointed my antenna to 240 degrees (essentially line of sight to downtown Cincinnati). The result is the Cinci channels are rock solid and the Dayton channels are also very, very good (some very rare and minor pixilation). I will say that the antenna is in the attic and mounted very close to the gable end vent so that line of sight to Dayton has less physical interference (i.e. no roof to go through and trees are further away) and the leaves have dropped since I started this process. Hopefully come spring time the signal is as good.
Thanks to this forum, Phil
I grew up near where Rozzi's Fireworks was at in Loveland. I remember we got Dayton off the backside without issue in the analog days. Living in Goshen with my 8 bay I get the same reception as you do it sounds like

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm in Miami County north of 70. I have a few attic antennas. DB8e pointed south and picks up Dayton and Cincy. 91xG pointed east to pick up Columbus. Small VHF to get Lima. They're all combined and everything mixes well except I lose WSYX in Columbus as soon as I connect the Cincy antenna. Seems like multipath interference from WBQC on real ch 28.
I just recently learned about the Televes Avant X which will allow digital notch filtering per antenna input for multi market reception. Does anyone have experience with it? It's a bit pricey at $399 but it seems like the perfect solution for my situation. Is there a better way to avoid multipath interference and still combine on one TV tuner?

·
Registered
60 Posts
We live in Wilmington OH. Columbus stations are about 70 miles away, about 60 deg NNE, Cincinnati 40 miles, about 210 deg SSW, and Dayton 35 miles, about 300 deg WNW. Since there is no difference between HD and standard signals there is no need for special HD antenna. Both are part of the electromagnetic spectrum within certain frequency ranges. Only the data format differs. Two questions.
First, What outdoor antenna would be best to get all three cities?
Second, would daisy chaining two amplifiers be of any use as three televisions plus two stereos will be using the signals?

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Even if they convert WRGT to ATSC 3.0, they would still have to make ALL of those subchannels available in ATSC 1.0 for at least 5 years. So it wouldn't make a difference if WRGT still had Fox or WRGT had Sinclair's diginets, those subchannels will still have to find partners to simulcast them for at least 5 years so no one loses access to current programming.

It's probably more to do with the fallout of the ruling which found that Cunningham Broadcasting and Sinclair's other shell companies were negotiating retrans consent deals in bad faith. So Sinclair is doing another round of network shuffling to keep the retrans consent negotiations for their Big 4 affiliations in house, and leaving their diginets with the shell companies who will conveniently remove themselves as a competition on cable and satellite by not seeking carriage deals.

·
Registered
96 Posts
We live in Wilmington OH. Columbus stations are about 70 miles away, about 60 deg NNE, Cincinnati 40 miles, about 210 deg SSW, and Dayton 35 miles, about 300 deg WNW. Since there is no difference between HD and standard signals there is no need for special HD antenna. Both are part of the electromagnetic spectrum within certain frequency ranges. Only the data format differs. Two questions.
First, What outdoor antenna would be best to get all three cities?
Second, would daisy chaining two amplifiers be of any use as three televisions plus two stereos will be using the signals?
Two antennas I've used are a 91XG and a CM4228 old style 8 bay. They changed the style of the 8 bay quite a few years ago. Not sure you'll get Columbus on a regular basis. 70 miles is out there a bit. I use a Channel Master amp as well. CM 7777 I think it is. It's old too lol. I'm only 35 miles or so from Cincy and Dayton. You will need an antenna rotator of some sort or some way to turn it different directions. Best of luck

15121 - 15133 of 15133 Posts