AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since these are fairly new I thought I would do a build thread. I don't usually do a thread because I just build boring black rectangles but here goes.

Pile of parts:

1 of the crossovers for the Max:

I had Home Depot rip all the panels 1/2" over width and then trimmed them on the table saw at my dad's house. All the exact cuts are 11" wide. Everything else will be trimmed flush with a router.

Saw guide setup:

Maybe later I'll take that trike out for a spin.

All the cool kids have fancy bracing so I'm making some too:

More on that later.

Clampmageddon about to start:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had a local shop cnc me some of those out of some nice fine-ply plywood a while back. Best $120 ever spent. Got 9 24"x24" squares out of a single sheet. Clamp-A-Palooza indeed.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I had a local shop cnc me some of those out of some nice fine-ply plywood a while back. Best $120 ever spent. Got 9 24"x24" squares out of a single sheet. Clamp-A-Palooza indeed.
Those large 90 deg square clamp guides are sweeeeeeet! I wonder if @Gorilla83 has made any like them.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
As stated above, correct solder doesn't need flux paste....IMHO, and I've built at least a few projects in my day(mostly mic/rf amplifiers).

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, nice job on the braces! I also like your "right angle reference devices" :D

You shouldn't need soldering paste. The solder is flux core.

Tim
As stated above, correct solder doesn't need flux paste....IMHO, and I've built at least a few projects in my day(mostly mic/rf amplifiers).
I just find a little dab of flux makes it flow better. I'm no expert on soldering though.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I glued up the other side and end piece on both boxes:

Then on to bracing. So I decided I could remove a little more cancer dust from these without losing any strength:

Next to make some braces for behind the woofers:

And some for the end pieces as well:

Now if only I had a router table...or do I? Who knew circle jig=router table?

All cleaned up and ready:

Now we fast forward through 3 hours of mind numbing bracing installation to...

Max-sandwich:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Those are the most solidly-braced non-subwoofer cabs I've ever seen. GREAT job with the bracing. And I think your "router table" idea is pure genius. I've been moaning and groaning over my lack of a router table for a long time now and never came up the idea you did. /so stolen :D

For certain operations like rounding-over braces, a router table is the right tool for the job. I could do it with my small Colt router but it would take 3x as long and would be tedious.

Those cabs will not be rattling. Ever. Keep up the awesome work!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I just find a little dab of flux makes it flow better. I'm no expert on soldering though.
I'm sure it'll work either way with the pads being so far apart. Just a little extra work. What I do is touch the iron to the pad, then bridge the iron to the pad with a touch of solder. Then touch the solder on the opposite side of the pad.

Heat (or lack thereof) is probably what makes it seem like the paste makes it work better. But hey. whatever works. Everything is looking great!

Tim

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Nice bracing.

Way overkill for midrange drivers IMHO, but ya won't have to worry that's for sure!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts