AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved the Cinema 12sf today from Studio Experience in place of my Cinema 13-hd because I was having many problems with my 13-hd. I took the afternoon off from work to play around with the new unit. Here are my initial observations:

1. The unit is small and I do not like the manual focus, zoom, etc.

2. The remote is worse than the 13-hd (is that possible?)

3. I currently have my projector on a table and the 12-sf in 16:9 mode throws my image into the ceiling while my 13:hd was perfect.

4. The projected image on the 12-sf is small when viewing 2.35:1 movies.

5. The lightspill is very annoying.

Anyway, the most important aspect of any projector is the picture quality. My 13-hd was great but it had annoying and constant blooming issues, vertical banding, and general color issues.

The 12-sf picture is nice (I definitely would not say it is better than the 13-hd) esp when the 13-hd was working correctly. After all the positive comments on this board I was prepared to see a better picture on dvds with the 12-sf, but sadly this is not the case after a half day of viewing. Also, the rainbows are definitely there and I felt like my eyes very fatigued after watching-but this could be due to a very long week at work.

Anyway, my first impressions are not very positive, but I will give myself the rest of the weekend to make a decision.

Andy

·
Registered
315 Posts
I would either be very suspicous of anyone reporting they see rainbows with the 12SF or I would suspect they have a serious problem with that particular unit.

My wife and I are VERY sensitive to DLP rainbows, and thus couldn't stand the earlier versions of the DLP color wheels, but we have never seen a rainbow on the 12SF. Not only that, but I took my 12SF to the HTA Projector/Screen shoot-out two weeks ago and not one person was able to see a single rainbow on the 12SF. This shocked me as there were a few CRT lovers in the crowd that love to criticize DLP projectors, and I was prepared for them to say they saw rainbows even if they hadn't.

Judging by your other comments is sounds like you got a real lemon.

BTW: The 12SF / LS110/ MT5 is supposed to be in the other forum - $5,000 and up high-end due not to its MSRP, but rather that it is a HT dedicated projector. So you'll find alot more losts on the 12SF in that forum than you will here.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Andrew P,

Don't rush into anything.

Your experience doesn't come as surprise to me or my wife.

A few weeks ago we had a short demo of the Infocus LS110. Like you, my wife saw rainbows immediately, and got a bad headache real fast. I didn't see rainbows, but I felt real strange during the movie and for 2 hours thereafter.

You should demo a couple of LCD's we've seen in order to see if they're acceptable to you. I recommend you check out the NEC LT 155 for a all-around good 4:3 unit, and the Toshiba TLP MT7 for a 16 x 9. The Toshiba is a little pricey and requires some intital tweaking, but you'll get a beautiful image as a result. To me, screen door is a non-issue, and color is beautiful, on both units.

Although I haven't yet seen them, the Panasonic AE100, 75U and 711XU reveiws I've read on AVS have been very positive, so I'll be checking them out, too.

If you don't mind spending more dough, look at the Hitachi SX 5500. I have seen it personally, and the unit I saw produced a beautiful, bright, well-scaled, image with good color and contrast. No screen door unless 1 or 2 feet from the screen.

There's so much written here about the JVC DILA's, and their beautiful images, that you should definately check them out, too.

Take your time and enjoy.

Good luck to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.