AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Cinema 13HD from Studio Experience, but I was having some remote issues (still am).

I just heard about the price drop so I emailed my him to see if they can match it (since its within 30 days). If not ill send it back and get the Sanyo PLV-60 instead of the Cinema 13HD since they are bascially one and the same.

If I have to do this, what are the major differences between the Sanyo PLV-60 and the Cinema 13HD if I have to go this way (because for an $1,100 difference with a free dvd player at Projectorpeople) this offer is too good to pass up.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I am in the same boat. I ordered the 13HD for an install and got it last Friday. Then I find out about the price drop on the sanyo.

I haven't read a thread where anyone viewed both side by side and I really don't know how much "weight" to put in the differences stated.

At the old price, it was a no brainer. Now, with the sanyo being $1100 less....

Let me know what Studio Experience says about matching the price as I may end up sending it back if they can't do anything to compensate. [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Brian Corr (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Let me know as well, since I am in the market for the same projector. Based on posts on this board, studioexperience seems to have better service and support than other competitors, but I agree I am not willing to pay that large of a premium (1100-2000) to them compared to their competitors.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spoke to them today and they told me they are going to do something for their customers. I have been extremely impressed with their service to date. I have a hard time swallowing $1,000, but so far Studio Experience's service for me has been amazing.

Their customer service reps are very knowledgable too. I dont know how they can match these prices though esp since they have the best return policy unlike projectorpeople.

Andy

·
Registered
976 Posts
i dont know who came out first but it looks like the 13hd ripped off sanyos design right down to the input layout..

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
That's because it's the same product...with proported updated firm-ware.

Hey...so somebody please answer this original quesiton. Does the 13HD really represent improved picture quality over the latest version of the Sanyo 60?

Anybody???

-dave

·
Registered
235 Posts
Xris,

They did not "rip off" the design of the PLV-60. Sanyo is the OEM of the 13HD, and Studio Experience contracts with them to build the 13HD version of it so that they can sell it under their own name.

As for the firmware, I'm not sure if there are any differences between the PLV-60HT and the 13HD, but as far as I know it's definitely updated over the original PLV_60 firmware. It's also Class-B certified, but (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) so is the PLV60-HT.

Not to mention, my wife likes the white case of the 13HD over the silver case of the PLV-60. :)

Aside from that, based on my past experiences with Studio Experience, my opinion is that I would (and did, actually) buy the 13HD over the PLV-60HT because of the service and support I've gotten in the past year+ that I've been a customer of theirs.

-Mike

[This message has been edited by mhamel (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
45 Posts
The differences between the PLV60 and the 13HD are (as I was told)

1. software (firmware) upgrade on the 13HD so that solarization and 480i artifacts are not an issue. I don't know if the PLV60HT has upgraded firmware. However, one reason someone said that the price dropped on the Sanyo is that they had an oversupply of 60HT's and it was difficult to upgrade the firmware, so they are selling those off. Not sure if this is accurate.

2. 24/7 tech support with the 13HD

3. 30 day money back guarantee and 60 day upgrade. No restocking fee.

4. Color of case is white on the 13HD and silver on the PLV60 (as someone noted above)

I called StudioExperience and they were not aware of the price drop, but they matched the lowest price, and then some to compensate for the free shipping and free dvd offer that was being floated around as well. So I went for it, really nothing to lose. Don't know what they'll do for previously placed orders.

Parag

·
Registered
441 Posts
Speak to Hank at Studio Experience. He will list all differences for you. You'll have to wait until after Cedia however.

Another difference, not mentioned above, is the light output on the 13, 1300 compared to 1200 on the PLV60.

Studio Experience is great to deal with. It will be interesting to see what they do about the price drop.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Do a search on cinema13hd within this forum and you will find multiple threads talking through the differences between the two models?

There is some debate on the threads as to whether the claims of updated firmware/other additional improvements in the 13hd versus the plv60 are true or not.

·
Registered
460 Posts
A lot of the information in this topic is speculation, we are not really sure what the true differences are between the 13HD and the Sanyo models.

I do know some of the differences between the PLV-60 and PLV-60HT. The 60HT has been FCC Class B certified for home use and the output reduced to 1200 lumens.

I have the 60HT and have never seen the solarization (or posterization) people are talking about. Is this because I have newer firmware?? I don't know, nor do I think anyone does yet for sure.

Hopefully over time we can figure this out.

Robert

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Not sure why they don't want to discuss it. Are they giving different people different deals? Price and performance are the major variables in projector selection. One of the big benefits of the internet is the ability for consumers to share information - finally a level playing field for all. No reason they should be excluded or any different from their competitors.

So Andrew, did they price match or did you return the projector?

Mike

·
Registered
73 Posts
Studio Experience did not match the price with PLV-60 ($4,799). SE sales pitch: "the 13HD is better why should I match ?"

Should I pay the firmware difference and good post-sale service ?

How much is *acceptable* for the firmware and the good service ?

Any help ?

thanks,

MoocaT

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.