AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, this is definitely the Sanyo PLV 60 clone. It matches the PLV60 spec for spec.

Dan

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Wow, staff at studio experience emailed me already with this response.

"Studio Experience has taken a step in releasing a line of Home Theater

projectors. This was prompted from the many positive reviews, requests from

the members of AVS forum, customers expectations of quality, and the many

customers dissatisfied with the service level of manufacturer's. We find in

this industry that if there is ever a problem with a projector, owners

generally call the person they purchase a projector from. We will be

servicing our product within, having the ability to replace panels, clean,

align, and accomplish all service needs in-house.

We have been working arduously on private labeling product with SANYO... Our

main concerns have been meeting the expectations of consumers versus

presenters. We believe there is a difference! With that in mind, we will be

inspecting product, providing 120 day guarantee on the lamp, offering a 3

year warranty (upgrade-able to 5), 24/7 tech support (free), offering our

product in "cool grey" (non-reflective, matte-white). We have also requested

upgraded video software, to address NTSC issues, and class b certification

for home use. Long-story-short, this is a version of the PLV60 projector.

We will be offering additional projectors to the line soon, working with

several manufacturer's.

If you would like to discuss any of this, you contact me direct at

800.667.6147x210 (for tech support ext 2).

PS.... I looked at your profile and noticed you were in Washington. We are

also in Washington, Poulsbo (Don James--Poulsbo RV), and welcome you to come

in for a demo of any projector we inventory.

[email protected] x210"

·
Registered
12 Posts
"We will be servicing our product within, having the ability to replace panels, clean, align, and accomplish all service needs in-house."

Probably a great product, but personally I would rather have a major manufacturer (Sanyo) warranty my projector, rather than any retailer.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Pelachsia

I think Boxlight is actually backing up Studio Experience on the warranty service, so they do have a large company behind them. I've been dealing with Hank at Studio Experience for about a year now, and I have to say service and support has been top-notch, both before and after the sale - and from what I've heard on the forum, just about everyone who has dealt with them has been happy.

Personally, I am chomping at the bit to get my hands on the 13HD, and can't wait to get it, install it and give it a good run through, and I've got plenty of faith in Hank and SE to back it up with service and support.

-Mike

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I just noticed one of the sponsors of this site "Studio Experience" is trying to sell a "Cinema 13HD" projector...

Is this a Sanyo? can't seam to locate any info on a search.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all,

Got my 13hd last Saturday. I'm projecting it on a diy (fabric blackout material) 92x52 using non progressive player with components output. Sitting at 12' out and 100% focus, screen door effect is not a problem. Start to see it when moving closer to about 8'.

This is my first projector. There is nothing for me to compare with except with my Sony 53xbr rear projection tv. IMO, I thought and my wife agreed that the 13hd is a lot better than my sony 53xbr. The projector is not fully calibrated yet, 30 mins with video essentials, but the details and colors are amazing. Watching different portions of several old DVDs last night. Just mesmerized by the pictures, didn't even realize that it was 1:00 A.M. until we stop. I will spend more time with Avia later and see if I could make the pictures any better.

I'm eventually have to paint the room with a dark color to compensate for the brightness of the projector. The darn thing lit up the entire room. Not too sure if it has a mode where you can reduce the brightness of the lamp. Reducing the contrast does seem to help.

I've done a lot reading on this forum and other forums regarding the Sanyo PLV60. Many users have mentioned and discussed about the solarizations and picture dropouts. Maybe I don't know what to look for, but after sampling various DVDs, Crouching Tiger, Ever After, Thomas Crown Affairs, I did not detect any of those abnormalities.

My next project is to make my htpc talk to the projector addressing the entire pixel map. Not sure how to do it yet. But in any case, I am very happy with the 13hd. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I'm going to get to look one over personally, and very soon. I want to compare it to my current 38t and my former LP350/CD555m. I'll let you know.

------------------

Joe

My current idea of the best value:

Boxlight 38t

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

Da-Lite 100" 4:3 1.3gain

Studio Experience SE616's

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday. It's the Sanyo PLV60 rebranded as a Boxlite. I just moved and don't have shades yet on the windows, so can only play with it at night, so this is very preliminary.

The light output is very good. Even with 9' image on a wall (not a reflective screen, but a flat white wall) it's *very* bright.

The "screen-door" effect is somewhat visible in bright areas of the image sitting 10' away (9' diag. image), but I can't really see it at 13' (where my couch is).

I had no problem setting up my computer and the projector such that the LCD panels were running at native resolution using PowerStrip (3.1). The projector allows you to enter the total number of pixels (horizontal and vertical) as well as the number of visible pixels. I copied the figures straight from PowerStrip (I think # of pixels was something like 1826 H. and 800 V. - I will post the exact numbers - it's 3:10 AM right now and I really need to go to bed). Important note: After entering those 4 numbers the image will look good, but you're not done: you need to adjust the "fine sync." using a fine pattern. Easiest way to get a fine pattern in Windows is to press "Alt-Ctrl-Del" and click "Shutdown" - you get a very fine pattern on the background which will be *very* noisy is the "fine sync." is not adjusted correctly. You can then "save" all your settings.

Blacks arn't really black, the bulb is so bright that some light does come through the LCDs even when they're at their darkest. I suppose using a gray screen would help blacken the blacks.

The scaler for NTSC looked very good, eventough I had read an article on ProjectorCentral had said it's poor (on a Sanyo PLV60). I didn't hook up a DVD player and only tested NTSC with the output of my satellite tuner.

I played 1080i programming through a hipix card at 1080i setting and at 720p setting (the hipix card lets you choose the format of it's output, and the material was in 1080i, so it was downconverted by the Projector in the first case, and by the hipix card in the second case). The projector seemed to do a very poor job of converting 1080i to it's native res. (I need to confirm this - maybe I was doing something wrong) while the hipix card did an excellent job of downconverting to 720p (which is close enough to LCDs' native res.).

I also played a DVD using PowerDVD at 1360x768, and I must say I was just amazed. It was a pleasant surprise to see so much detail in an upconverted 480i image. It was a very pleasant surprise.

I also watched 2 movies in HD, and wow, it was like being in a small theater.

I'm keeping this projector (they have a 30-day money back guarantee with no restocking fee, unlike ProjectorPeople and others who charge a 15% restocking fee). As I said before, this is all very preliminary, I will write more when I learn more.

So far, what I like:

- the picture is detailed and very bright with great contrast and good colors

- unlike tubes, the image has perfect geometry and convergence.

- unlike tubes I don't have to worry about image burn-in when displaying my computer's desktop

- the proj. is relatively small and doesn't overwhelm my living room.

- no problem syncing with any resolution/refresh rate my computer could crank out (upto 1280x1024).

- DVDs looked great (on PowerDVD at 1360x768 @ 60Hz - I intend to try it at 72Hz to match a multiple of 24Hz display freq. of film)

what I don't like:

- "screen-door" effect is visible when close to the screen

- blacks arn't really black

- 1080i to native scaler seems to have problems - I need to check this again, maybe there was a problem with my setup

More later...

Cheers,

Moaz

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I can answer this from my own personal "studio experience". They are home theater oriented (rather than business/sales displays), they are big enough and important enough to their suppliers to stick around during your entire ownership period, and most importantly, they listen and try really hard (really hard) to make sure you get a good result. I've also found the service to be very personal and the people you deal with are still there the next time.

------------------

Joe

My current idea of the best value:

Boxlight 38t

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

Da-Lite 100" 4:3 1.3gain

Studio Experience SE616's

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The reason I went with the C13 instead of PLV60 is as Joe says above, and also because of the "no restocking fee" policy they have. I will not buy a $6000 item sight unseen, unless I know I can get my money back if I don't like it. Anyway, the best way to test a video or audio system is in your own home, where it's going to be. Showrooms can be set up to be deceptive or be very different than your setting.

My contact at S.E. has been very kind and helpful. He matched the ProjPeople's price and paid for overnight shipping when it was delayed a couple of days.

Now... I just need to wait for nightfall... darkness is my friend http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif (I still don't have shades on the windows)

Cheers,

Hamid

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.