Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
". . . and a story goes with it."

I'm sure that all of you, fellow members of my support group, have similar stories, but I think I have a topper.

First, here's a link to the construction photos of the in progress Cinema Murray (please, someone help me come up with a better name! [warning - big photos and lots of them!]

Construction Photos

Details: So, like many, this is turning into a bigger project than I had originally thought. This is a complete basement project. There's a home gym, a full bath, storage areas, a lobby and snack bar, and the dedicated home theater (design by Dennis Erskine).

As you can see by the photos, we had to move some ducts - and we're adding a dedicated HVAC unit for the theater (unexpected expense #1).

Comments & questions are welcome.

Now for the story.

The contractor I hired specialized in basement remodeling, but has no experience in HT. I was confident with a DE set of plans he could get the job done. Nice guy, great previous experience, detail oriented and fair prices. He is named, I kid you not, is John Smith.

So, we get the job underway, making good progress, when he tells me he'll be unavailable for at least a week because of a contest he's participating in. Come to find out, Dewalt tools is sponsoring a "Million Dollar Challenge". Off he goes to Phoenix for a week.

And he wins.

Dewalt Contest

So now, in between finishing the framing and managing my project, he's answering phone calls from the press, waiting for the Letterman show to arrange an appearance and smiling a lot. Other than the delay, it hasn't been a problem, but it's a good excuse when people ask me why it's taking so long.

Note: Updated link 12/11/02

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I heard that good help is "worth their weight in gold"...not sure how big Mr. Smith is but it sounds to me like you hired the right guy!

Theater is progressing nicely, and hopefully his new-found fame won't delay you too long. Keep those pics coming...

Maybe you should name your theater the "Miillion Dollar Movie" house...

(personally I like "CineMurray")

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey Captn,

Looks like you will have a nice theater when completed. BTW, I receive an error whenever I click on any picture at your site. It states "the homepage cannot be found....."

John

·
Registered
387 Posts
With the $1 million prize, maybe he'll give you your money back & finish it for the challenge of doing something new.... :)

Lookin' good.

Adam

·
Registered
881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CptnRandy

So, we get the job underway, making good progress, when he tells me he'll be unavailable for at least a week because of a contest he's participating in.
At least your builder gave you an excuse (and a good one at that!). Mine seems to show up when he wants, takes off after an hour leaving me to guess when he'll be back. Returned phone calls? HA! That's rich.

I think about the only contest my builder would ever win is how many excuses he can come up with for NOT being here. He's got a million of 'em.

I was too far down the road to fire his @ss, but it's getting to the point where my 3-yr old could do a better job in a shorter amount of time.

Congrats on your theater! Between a DE design and a million dollar builder, I'd say you've got a pretty good thing on your hands. Maybe you can rename your theater "The Brewster Theater" in honor of Mr. Smith's prize money. :D

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Wow and he got that money for screwin off? :D I think I would have a hard time working for a little while. After taxes and my ex a million wouldn't go real far but I would have a hard time being focused for a good month or 2. Good luck on the theater. By the way it is looking good.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And this morning (12/12/02) I turn on the Today Show and they're showing various "amazing" sports clips and who do I see? My contractor!

I don't think I'll be getting any discounts, but I've told him he needs to build himself a theater now.

Just finish mine first.

Today, low voltage wiring, tomorrow electrical, next week insulation (we hope). With inspections, I'm not betting on dry wall before the end of the year. On, and the screen shows up tomorrow. Don't know where I'm going to store that box . . .

Randy

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Updated photos! And tomorrow, he tells me (as my millionaire builder goes off to a photo shoot with People Magazine) that the drywall crew will be there. All of next week is for drywall finishing.

Updated photo link

The other day my boss asked me if I was going to get a big theater style popcorn machine, to which I replied, "Nope, to hard to clean, smokey, and we like microwaved." And he replied, "that's the first sensible thing you've said about this project!"

I think he's beginning to think he's paying me too much.

Questions and comments are welcome.

Randy

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Updated photos and progress:

The drywall is finished!

Ceiling in lobby and gym textured.

Tile down in snackbar and bathroom and shower.

Next: Try in main areas.

Updated photos

·
Registered
881 Posts
Lookin' sweet! Boy, what I wouldn't give to have had the funds for a bathroom in the basement.

BTW, you might want to let your builder know they're signing people up again for the million dollar challenge:

http://www.dewalt.com/us/events/milliondollar/

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm sure he knows - Dewalt PR is doing their job. He had to leave early the other day for an interview with People magazine!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ELB_III

I was too far down the road to fire his @ss, but it's getting to the point where my 3-yr old could do a better job in a shorter amount of time.

- Ed.
Ed;

How has it been? Are you near completion. I just wanted to state that it is NEVER too far down the road to fire them. Any decent contractor can pick up where he left off, especially if this one is doing such a crappy job. Get rid of him! You have nothing to loose, only to gain.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey Capt.

Looks great! I've been following your progress and things are really shaping up. On Part 3, Slide 11 where you show the stage, are those JM Insul Shield boards resting against the wall? Curious why did you decided to go with boards versus the rolls.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The contractor was able to get the boards easier, I guess. It also looks like he overestimated - I'm betting he's going to have some left over (but no idea how much).

Thanks,

Randy

·
Registered
877 Posts
Randy,

Looks great. How did you handle that small window to the left of the stage?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glass block on all windows. The one's in the theater were also covered inside and the walls were built over them. Pitch black in there!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CptnRandy
Glass block on all windows. The one's in the theater were also covered inside and the walls were built over them. Pitch black in there!
For the windows where the walls were built over them, do you have concerns about condensation forming within your new walls? The reason I ask is a friend of mine is a contractor. When I told him I was simply going to build my wall over this one 2' x 2' window he said I would likey have moisture problems as a result of the condensation forming at the base of the window during winter.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't think it'll be a problem - first of all, the windows were replaced with glass block - thick! Next, the theater is constructed on Dennis Erskine design - the room-within-a-room - so there's a 1 inch gap which will allow some "breathing" room.

My contractor didn't blink an eye - and his entire business is basement remodeling.

Good luck with your plans.

Randy

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.