AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been hard to make a decision re: which projector to buy since there are both good and bad comments about almost every projector.

I have a Studio Experience Cinema 13 on order and am anxiously awaiting its arrival on Nov 21. I was thinking about a Boxlight SP-6(?) but decided to go big. It will be my first projector. After reading reviews on the Studio Experience web site, I feel like I made the best decision. But...

After seeing a $20,000+ Runco projector in action today, I am nervous that I am going to be disappointed. The Runco looked bad -- poor contrast, unimpressive color, mediocre brightness. Can a $5k projector be substantially better than a $20k unit?

Can any Cinema13 owners comment on their satisfaction? Anyone return a Cinema13 for any reason (if so, why)?

Thanks for answering questions that have been asked repeatedly in many different ways.

Ciao,

Mat

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Setup is EVERYTHING! Search and read all threads here and at thebigpicturedvd.com about this projector and benefit from the wealth of experience here and there.

Sucessful FP home theater is all about optimizing inputs, connections, setting (the HT room), the screen, and the projector itself. This is not a technology that you just take out of the box and it is perfect from the get-go. Attention to detail is the key to an extremely satisfying experience.

Also, remember it's damn good but it ain't perfect. Don't obsess over the small imperfections that you can't tweak out--POP SOME POPCORN AND WATCH THE MOVIE!

And when you get it right, hang on to your seat and figure out how you're going to tear yourself away from it.

Just got done watching "The Mummy" on 100" and can't imagine how I could stand to watch this stuff on a TV before.

Dan

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Never use Runco Projectors as a benchmark for price/performance for they fail miserably from this point of view. Runco Projectors are terrible values. For example their 101 which sells for $10,000 is inferior to an InFocus LP340-V which sold for about $2,700. The Cinema 13HD is the best LCD 16:9 projector available today without regard to price.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
expat..

you stated..

"After seeing a $20,000+ Runco projector in action today, I am nervous that I am going to be disappointed. The Runco looked bad -- poor contrast, unimpressive color, mediocre brightness. Can a $5k projector be substantially better than a $20k unit?"

I have also seen the Runco in action & as a matter of fact seen it today at Bracks here in Toronto & I'll be the first one to admit (after you that is) that is SUCKS! It is a HORRIBLE projector & they have the audacity to charge $30,000 cdn for it.

I am willing to bet that your Studio Experience Cinema 13 will be BETTER than that awful looking Runco.

:)

Chris

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Your $5000 projector will be brighter, more colorful, display higher resolution, and have better blacks than that $20k projector. The Runco will have better name recognition.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point, Dan. I'll use this forum as a bible for setting up the Cinema13.

Leckian, Chris, Jonmx: thanks for the confirmation.

Chris: I lived just east of Toronto for for 30 years (Ajax). I still miss aspects of living at "home". I recall the "Stereo Factory" location that Brack now owns up on Yonge St, as well as the one on ?Front St? I think. They are similar to the shop that I saw the Runco at yesterday.

Funny thing was, I went there to ask if they would be interested in the business of installing the Cinema13 -- the physical mount (Peerless), fishing cables, etc.

They had a real attitude because I didn't buy the unit there, and couldn't decide "if they wanted the business" and took my number to call me next week. My feeling now is that if they stock poorly priced, poor performance equipment, then I might expect their installation staff to be of a similar value and quality. I'll be seaching for my own electrician...

I would be interested to know how Cinema13/PLV60 owners mounted their units. Did anyone use the Peerless mount that Studio Experience sells? Are 2 wood screws enough for this 20 lb projector?

Thanks all,

Mat

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mat:

I have also been considering the 13HD projector. If you do a quick search, you'll no doubt note that there's another user in the Clifton, VA area that also has a 13HD. Maybe you could contact him regarding installation. With that in mind, and if you are willing, I suspect that a number of northern Virginia members would be interested to see your's in action...??

Cris

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that it would be fine to demo the unit for a small group of No VA enthusiasts. A coworker ordered the Boxlight SP6 and we will be doing some direct comparisons using my Panasonic RP56 DVD player.

I will be using an off-white wall for the initial viewing starting this week. I wanted to order the screen and mount after I had a chance to confirm that I want to keep the unit, and also to get a feel for what size image/screen I want. I can go up to 11 feet wide in my setup and will be sitting about 22' from the screen.

Send me a private message later this week if you want to check it out.

Regards,

Mat

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mat,

I am using the peerless mount with a pole on a vaulted ceiling. I was a little nervous about the two lag screws, but as long as you get a stud, or rafter or whatever you should have no problems.

Fairly easy to mount, (once you get the stud). You may want to use a little finishing nail or something to find the edges of the stud so you get it right in the center. (you will cover the sheetrock with the mount, so you wont see the little holes from the nail)

I love this proj. Even out of the box it was great. You will love it.

-maynard

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
What was the model and technology of the $20,000 Runco that you saw. I know Runcos are expensive but it must of been set up way wrong to be that bad. I cant imagine that they would have created a name for themselves by selling $20,000 crap.

William

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi there... Congratulations on your purchase. I also have a Cinema 13HD which I bought about a month ago. The only gripe I have about it is in the process of being resolved. I'm running at 1360x768 through a HTPC/Radeon VE and getting a LOT of ghosting. Using the same cable setup to a Sony 21" monitor, I get no ghosting at all, so I came to the conclusion that the projector needed to go back. I'm waiting on the new shipment to arrive at Studio Experience (tomorrow) before shipping this back. So, I'm guessing you and I will have the same lot of projectors in a few days.

Aside from the ghosting, we have been very pleased with the projector. I'm certainly glad I went 16:9 and so far the communication with Studio Expereince has been top notch.

Cheers,

Jake

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have just spent a weekend with Sanyo version of 13 HT and I've noticed the same gosting problem you described plus vertical bending reported in other posts. Please post if this problem is resolved with your replacement unit.

Roman

·
Registered
148 Posts
Studio Experience - the company and the support is top notch. I had to return my unit because I had a yellow blob that was shaped like a C and really noticeable in bright scenes. I got a unit that had a perfect LCD panel...did some tweaking and really happy I went with this projector. With the Grayhawk and some mods to control light...I can watch movies at any time. HD is incredible with this unit...ch.509 shows movies (ex.Gladiator, Hollow Man) and I find myself watching the movies again just to see all the details from watching it on interlaced DVD, the moviehouse and even on progressive DVD. Can't beat that picture. (~$5K was not a bad price to pay for this projector)

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
If anyone is interested, I have a Grayhawk for sale to use with this projector. It's posted in the classifieds. It is GREAT with this projector. 16 X 9, 80" wide tab tensioned, pull down. Look for it in the classifieds. It's a good deal.

Scott

PS sorry for the marketing(kind of)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't recall the model of the Runco. I won't be going back there anytime soon since they didn't even bother to call me back re: installation. Hopefully market forces will prevail and put those guys where they belong.

Should be getting the Cinema13 tommorrow. I have the AVIA test disk set to arrive on Friday, so I'll post back to let folks know if I have any ghosting or bent vertical line issues. I'm glad I chose Studio Experience as it sounds like it's not rare to have to return one of these units.

I would like to go with a 130+" screen as I will be about 22' back from the screen...I hope this PJ can create enough light to do this with decent brightness. Maybe a screen with a little gain (1.3?) will be required rather than my Grayhawk plan. Regarding screens, I can't believe how much the screen cost goes up when you put a black frame around the screen!

I'll post my initial impressions of the Cinema13 on Thursday for anyone who cares, and will have direct comparison results of the Boxlight SP-6t against the Cinema13 on Monday of next week.

Ciao,

Mat

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Mat,

Hi, Congratulations on purchasing one of the best, if not the best, LCD projector to date. I have installed these and am awaiting another to install for a client. I think very highly of this projector. I can certainly install it for you. The Peerless mount is an excellent mount and two lag screws will hold this > 20 lb projector with no problems at all. You can reach me via my email, [email protected]

Also, for those in the Maryland/Virginia/DC area, In the near future, I will be installing a Cinema 13HD for Demo purposes. I will let you know when it is in place.

Dave

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ended up ordering the Boxlight xp-5 as well as the Cinema13. At the risk of starting a war, I am going to go with the Boxlight xp-5 (this is a Sanyo XW15 clone).

The reasons:

- the Cinema13 is clearly better and projects a sharper, brighter picture

- the Boxlight isn't too far away in picture quality in my opinion / for my tastes

- the difference in price is dramatic (around $2,500)

- the Cinema13 would require an involved mounting effort versus the Boxlight's size and optics which allow me to simply place it on an existing shelf (this would be applicable to my specific situation only)

I do have a small problem with the Boxlight xp5 -- it arrived with about 20% of the screen tinted light yellow. I will have to send it back for repair unfortunately, unless the problem can be resolved in a phone call to SE.

I am hoping that DLP, with its greater fill factor, will improve in the next few years to the point that I can upgrade for a much more dramatic improvement--better contrast, brightness, cheaper). Until then, I can comfortably live with the XGA 4:3 projector and invest in a pair of SVS subs and a screen and still have a good amount of change leftover.

Mat

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.