Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am seraching for a minimum price possibility to bypass the internal scaler (not too good ...) of my D-ILA G10E and all the external scalers cost about 5K $ - that is pretty much (at least for me and you still have ta face another A/D and D/A conversion of the video-signal, otherwise you would have to use DVI and then: new DVD-PLayer and more expensive scaler: argh! ) .

I am searching for a way WITHOUT HTPC because I want simple to use standalone devices and no PC to mess around with. I take this option into account but this will only be the last thing to think about.

Now Cinematrix offers the Sony DVD-Player 7700 with Cinematrix-Borad PS1 and a maximum resolution of 1600 x 1200 at 1065 $ (and this would include 1280 x 1024 which is close enough to my D-ILA resolution - horizontal scaling on an analog signal is no real scaling at all...)

Has anybody made experiences with this combination? Is it good? Did anybody try to feed his D-ILA with 1280 x 1024 @ 50Hz? I will have to do this because I own a lot of PAL DVDs...

Thanks for any replies!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one?

Bump :D

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've heard of the Cinematrix, but haven't seen it.

If they have a model that can output 1360x1024 (the D-ILA's native resolution), it might work very nicely. If it can output at 75hz, all the better.

Why do you say1280x1024 for PAL? If you send the projector that, you won't be bypassing the projector's scaler.

Have you tried any progressive signal with the projector? You may find that the projector's scaler isn't all that bad. I've heard that it's the deinterlacer on the D-ILA that's crappy. I have a D-ILA, but haven't tried anything other than sending it the native resolution.

Personally, I like HTPC's. You can buy one all set up for you, and you don't have to mess with it if you don't want to.

- Dave

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Frank Dorhof developed a set of settings for a G20 and PSM1 which should work with your G10 E. 1365x1024. He sells the mod.

Also a forum memeber tho I am not positive how he lists himself.

contact him directly at

[email protected]

Larry

·
Registered
380 Posts
Dave T

I too am thinking of having my ThetaDavid interlaced DVD player modified with the Cinematrix PCM-1 board to feed directly into my D-ILA G-15. You mentioned that the resolution of the D-ILA is 1360X1024. I thought that it was actually 1365X1024, but I am confused because I have read in other threads that you need 1360 pixels horizontally for perfect pixel to pixel matching with an HTPC and the D-ILA. If anybody knows the answer to this I hope they will chime in and clear up the fog in my mind. I was actually wondering what to tell the folks at Cinematrix (1360 or 1365?). Does it matter that if you are watching 16X9 on the D-ILA you are not using the whole panel therefore the resoluton vertically is actually more like 768 rather than 1024. When you order the resolution fixed on the cinematrix do you tell them 1365 or 1360 X 1024 or 768? I'm confused. It's not like you can walk into a showroom and see what it looks like before you buy it.

Larry

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Quote:
Why do you say1280x1024 for PAL? If you send the projector that, you won't be bypassing the projector's scaler.
well I think that the resolution 1280 x 1024 is not really different from 1365 x 1024 or 1360 x 1024 ...

It is just an _analog_ signal with a specific horizontal and vertical frequency. There may be included some digitial information about the amount of horizontal pixels but "scaling" this signla would rather be igrnopring these information. So Cinematrix calls the 1600 x 1200 resoulution for example just 1200p. In my eyes this matches the reality more than calling it 1600 x 1200.

The incoming signal from the DVD just has 720 horizontal pixels and it would be enough just to change the amount of lines to 1024 and the pj just has to sample every line with the amount of pixels it has horizontally. Am I wrong?

Quote:
Personally, I like HTPC's. You can buy one all set up for you, and you don't have to mess with it if you don't want to.
Well me not. I am working all day long with a pc since I am an application programmer and I hate all the lost time when my computer shows failures and then I fiddle with it and... I don't want this at home. I have a notebook which just worked out of the box and I can't open it and change anything inside: Perfect. But if I would have a real pc at home I would open it and then the mess would start.

Quote:
Have you tried any progressive signal with the projector? You may find that the projector's scaler isn't all that bad. I've heard that it's the deinterlacer on the D-ILA that's crappy. I have a D-ILA, but haven't tried anything other than sending it the native resolution.
Frankly I didn't even dare to send the pj an interlaced signal since the dealer where I bought it showed me the pj with s-video input and I was shocked ...

No I feed it progressive.

I have a progressive scan DVD-Player (RGBHV-Output) and an Iscan Pro for my analog sources like laserdisk and a VGA switcher at my rack to have only one cabling to the pj.

Well maybe I will wait for the PSM2: There will be several models. The basic one just has component, s-video and composite in, RGBHV and DVI-Out will deinterlace, do 2:2 and 3:2 reverse Pulldown, shall do frame-conversion to 100 or 120 Hz and thet told me: Will cost at about 1.2 k Euro basic model...

The more advanced models with some SDI-Input (they will mod DVd-Players to put out this special sort of SDI) will provide full digital videopath... Price at about 2.5 k Euro.

Well, if this can be trusted: Wow! Different from Dune, TAW Rock, Leeza, Faroudja and how they are all called. I think the prices for just a scaler at 5 k $ and above are far too high, escpecially for me.

Or I will live with the minor artifacts the internal scaler produces...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
So you're saying that if you send it 1280x1024, that it will just resample the 1280 horizontal pixels using 1365 samples? Maybe you're right. I was thinking that it would take the 1280 pixels and scale it up to 1365 pixels. Even if it did that, it would probably look fine. Also, if you have Dilard, you could use it to just mask off the right 85 pixels, in effect turning your display to 1280x1024.

Regarding HTPC's - I'm a developer, too, and I used to say exactly what you're saying. Who wants to go home and mess with a computer after doing it all day? However, after I got thinking about how cool it would be to play video games on the big screen (actually, I've yet to do this, I'm not much of a gamer, but maybe someday), and to copy all my cd's to mp3 jukebox software on the computer (I do this in a big way, and couldn't live without it now - no more searching around for a cd in the pile), I decided that I wanted an HTPC after all. I bought an off the shelf one from AVS, intending to never mess with it, but ended up writing a program to control my surround processor, and a bunch of other stuff and had a lot of fun.

Sounds like you're able to resist the temptation. To each his own.

Speaking of external scalers - I saw a Leeza on my D-ILA this weekend, and it looked no better than my HTPC, to my eyes.

- Dave

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
So you're saying that if you send it 1280x1024, that it will just resample the 1280 horizontal pixels using 1365 samples? Maybe you're right.
Well I would do it because this is the easiest way...

Quote:
Sounds like you're able to resist the temptation. To each his own.
I think i will resist... :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.