AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new software upgrade for the PSM-1 is available according to Cinematrix's new web page:

http://www.cinematrix.de (German only)

The upgrade costs EURO 89.--.

I will send them my player (SONY 7700) tomorrow to be upgraded. Has anybody already had their player upgraded with this new software? What bugs have been fixed?

I have had my 7700 with the PSM-1 since October 2000. Is this the first upgrade that has been made available so far?

·
Registered
12 Posts
i am a newbie who is considering a cinematrix upgraded dvd to use with a dreamvision movie star plus (1024x768)

would like to know which outboard scaler you would compare the psm board to. also what type chip does it use, or does the comparison of sage or gensis chips refer to scaling or just de-interlacing. hope my question is not to dumb.

thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
to know which outboard scaler you would compare the psm board to.
It's difficult to say to which outboard scaler the PSM-1 is comparable since it's actually an add on board which has the distinct advantage that it deinterlaces/scales the video signal in digital form.

For more detail check out:

www.cinematrix-usa.com

Quote:
also what type chip does it use, or does the comparison of sage or gensis chips refer to scaling or just de-interlacing.
Cinematrix uses a chip of their own. AFAIK neither the Sage nor the Genesis chip are able to scale.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I bought an 7700+PSM1 from them in early 2002; I too wonder what the "upgrades" could be. Now that I'm using it w/a projector (like I intended), I see some pretty bad ghosting/ringing (to the right of the image)--any thoughts?

Also, has anyone noticed the U.S. web page has disappeared as well as their office (I think)?? Are they going under??

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
I've e-mailed them several times and NEVER had a response in the past several months.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
How about the Chroma Bug? Does PSM-1 could eliminate, or at least reduce this bug?
I bought my 7700 with PSM-1 in October 2000 and the board hasn't had a software upgrade since then so I have a very old version.

I can clearly see the croma bug problem with it, it doesn't do anything to reduce it. Maybe with never software versions it might help some?

My player is going to Germany for the upgrade only now after a "delay". I hope to have it back in 1 or 2 weeks.

Quote:
I've e-mailed them several times and NEVER had a response in the past several months.
On their new website they don't list the USA under "Dealer" anymore?

Stanton

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
OK, not only have I answered my own question, but I actually spoke to Cinematrix USA today (same number as before). Also, the "-usa" website is up (although it only has the PSM-1).

Anyway, my ghosting/ringing was caused by a crummy VGA cable (not 75 Ohms)! Thomas @ Cinematrix (the guy who I bought the player from) suspected this, and after trying another (better) VGA cable (from atozcables) the ringing was gone! As usually a $25 item screws up thousands of dollars worth of equipment.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Upgrade Info translated with Babblefish:

The Softwareupdate

With the Cinematrix-Update, your PSM 1 remains stood-Board on the newest the technology. Addition-Features successfully are tested became implementiert, so soon it. With the software-Update, you reach for example:

- horizontal sharpness improved

- Compatibility improvement to video projectors

- exact conformity to all current standards (Vesa, SMPTE)

- equipment optimized through variation of the Dip-switch function

- picture quiet improved

The new software is installed obviously by us.

Price € 89, -- + delivery

Ken

·
Registered
378 Posts
The 'new'software is mainly new output resolutions i think.

The Dutch distributor for Cinematrix contributed to this software. As it seems no the best viewing mode (that with the least number of problems like line jitter, jaggies, staircasing) is 1024x768.

Further the dip switches might work different, i have a quite new PSM in a pioneer 747 (european version of 47a) There are 3 dip switches used for sqeezing and 4:3 in 16:9, 2 dip switches for filtering, and 3 dip swtiches for resolution.

A manual can be downloaded from the dutch distributors web site: http://www.itccomp.nl/htwebf/ITCHT/PSM1manual.pdf

The new mods in holland have also a outbord power supply, this helps as sometimes the internal power supply of the dvd players are not capable of delivering enough current, cuasing somtimes problems in other area's of the players.

Jaco

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.