AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running Cineplayer 1.51 on a 450MHz PIII running Win98SE and, most of the time, have not had major problems. However, for certain titles (viz., "O Brother, Where Art Thou?") and for some DVDs that try to load InterActual or PCFriendly (which I cancel), Cineplayer crashes (itself and my computer) after Play has been initiated. For some titles, pushing Play takes me to a black screen that is frozen. For others (viz., OBWAT), pushing Play plays the FBI warning screens and then freezes on a dark screen. In both cases, all DVD drive activity stops and both the program and the computer are frozen (although the mouse can be moved on screen but has no function). All of the discs that cause Cineplayer trouble are easily played by PowerDVD 4, so I don't think it's a system issue. I have also tried removing the program, reinstalling and testing Cineplayer 1.5 and then applying the 1.51 update. The same issue occurred with both versions. Lastly, I've tried different color resolutions (16 bit, 24 bit, etc) and my system is such that virtually nothing is running in the background (97% free resources).

I'd sure appreciate some help on this, as so far Sonic has not been able to provide any.

SFC

·
Registered
462 Posts
You may be experiencing a problem http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/smilies/smile.gif . I was outputting spdif, and as the stereo switched to 5.1, Cineplayer 1.5 would freeze(Cont+Alt+Del would let me shut down CP after B.S.D.). Bizarrely enough enabling hardware acc. with my radeon video card fixed the problem. Moral: change sound card/driver, change video card/driver change O.S., finally change order of previous changes. (at the time: pII 400, win98se, radeon7000, fortissimo I).

Good Luck.

Miso

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Miso:

I am, in fact, outputing SPDIF (I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496) and have not tried switching to stereo to see if that output is the problem (in which case I'll look at drivers). I do find it interesting, however, that PowerDVD will play fine (though the picture isn't as good). I'll also try accelleration, but I doubt my system will run that way (ATI Xpert LCD dual monitor graphics card, which I like because it will put the DVD overlay on both my LCD monitor and my projector:)!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've now tried running in stereo (as opposed to SPDIF), but still have the same problem.

What I have also done is more carefully examine those DVDs that play correctly vs those that do not, and there seems to be a pattern. When Cineplayer launches it reads the disc and displays the title in the player control window. What I have noticed is that when the title is displayed in Cineplayer correctly, the disc plays without any problem (some examples include "Them", "Swiss Family Robinson" and "Bye Bye Birdie"). However, for some DVDs the title of the DVD is NOT displayed correctly in Cineplayer, and Cineplayer hangs whenever I try to play these discs. Some examples (and the title Cineplayer displays) are as follows:

"Only Angles Have Wings" (DVD_VIDEO)

"Talk of the Town" (DVD_VIDEO)

"O Brother, Where Art Thou?" (DIME_NTSC)

These observations suggest to me that Cineplayer may not be looking at the correct files for playback on certain discs. Thus, is there a manual way to tell Cineplayer what file to use and, if so, what it the name of that file? Secondly, is there a potential fix for this issue?

SFC

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
I have Matrox DVD player software and it freezes sometimes. Sometimes doesn't like to play period.

Here are some tips that make freezing less likely, at least they worked for me. YMMV.

My DVD drive is scsi, but anyways, this goes for any drive, scsi or IDE:

1) make sure you DVD drive is setup like this by right clicking onMY COMPUTER (at least in WIN98SE)

My computer>device manager>settings:

a) Sync data transfer CHECKED

b) Auto Insert notification CHECKED

c) DO NOT CHECK or ENABLE "disconnect". Leave Disconnect UNCHECKED.

This is the best I can suggest for now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Windows CDFS tweak seemd to help with the occassional stoppages I would encounter. For more information, Do a search using keyword CDFS either here or via your favorite search engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.