AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I obtained a evaluation version of Cineplayer 4 full retail. The problem is when I enable SPDIF and try to play a DVD. I get a program error suggesting that I should restart the computer. Also, with Cineplayer, there is an option to test the SPDIF setting. After running through all the various options in the drop down menu, all I get is silence. And on the last test, the player crashes. (Yes, I know, don't say welcome to the wonderful world of the Cinemaster Engine). The player works fine when downmixing, it only crashes when SPDIF is enabled.

My question is if anyone else who has been lucky enough to get their hands on Cineplayer 4 has been having the same problems. Please post your setup configurations. Here are test system configurations that I used to try it out Cineplayer 4:

Windows ME and 98

Asus P3B-F

Intel 550 w/256 MB SDRAM

Radeon VE (7189 drivers)

Diamond Monster MX300/MX25

Windows 2000

Monster Sound was replaced by SBlive

-=All other specs the same/Radeon VE Win2K driver 3281

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had the same problem. What I did was uninstall all the creative drivers, software, etc. After that I rebooted and reinstalled it all. Make sure to enable the digital out only, disable the DD decoding, and set it to 2 speaker (that's at least what I did) and it works fine for me. It outputs the 5.1 signal just fine, and after about a month of playing around with it, finally got it to work. I was having the same probs in powerdvd as well, no DD output. Give it a shot, it was killing me for the longest time, but I fixed it in time to watch star wars this weekend.

BTW, this is on my win2k machine

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I have the same problem. see the forum at ravisentdirect.com for my posts there. I have some here also.

I wonder if the TEST option works for anybody? not me either.

I noticed that when using DD 2.0 passthrough I was fine, but if I tried to pass DD 5.1 then it would crash. Specifically I found if I tried to navigate to chapter 39 on the SW TPM DVD, it would crash everytime.

Try the 2.0 thing and let me know how that works out.

are you getting errors in QDVD.DLL? KERNEL32.DLL? QUARTZ.DLL?

is the monstervision a crystal sound fusion chipset?

I have a hercules game theater xp.

Are you getting any other problems. I can get DTS to work, but not reliably. And on certain titles like Remember the Titams, the video is very stuttering. with hardware(Radeon) decoding. DXVA iDCT

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
It seems that there are going to be s/pdif compatibility issues until newer audio drivers which are Microsoft certified are available. The drivers I use are as close as they come to being Microsoft certified (under XP) since they are leaked Creative Labs WDM audio drivers and VERY new (only a week old). I have no lipsych problems, or crashing due to s/pdif settings. I tend to prefer the "Ravisent: sound card" setting over the "Sound card" setting for s/pdif passthrough; it seems to sound better, but just more CPU sensitive.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmcgrath,

I'll have to check the error message again when I get home from work. Thanks for the tip about the Ravisentdirect.com link. I will check that out. The Diamond Monster Sound card is an A3D 2.0 based card. Works great and does DTS Audio CD beautifully. That is why I am reluctant to switch to the SBlive. Seems now with the new MS SPDIF standard, I have no choice.

I will keep you guys posted.

BTW, how is the video quality? Is it better then ATI Player 4.1? mkanet has already said it is the best he has seen, and I know he is a stong WinDVD supporter, so I at least know that it is better then his WinDVD hybrid. Which is great news. I haven't had the time to check out the PQ with my LT150 as I have been trouble shooting this for the last two days on my regular monitor. Just wondering what is the early consensus on the PQ?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Ravisent has yet to resolve issues with SP/DIF. Hang in there. PQ with C4 is improved but the digital pass thru issues make it not ready for prime time yet. My guess is you guys want something that is at least on par with ATi 4.x with working DD & DTS. I know I would.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
I agree with Karnis. I consider myself fortunate for not having problems with S/PDIF or anything else that I can't fix. However, it is apparent that people are having s/pdif related issues. Ravisent needs to work on an update for their retail software. That is not the only bug with the software BTW.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mkanet

Are these drivers you mentioned the 5.12.01.3511? I'm running on XP with SB Live and have the stuttering problems initially and then no sound at all. Hoping these drivers will solve the problem.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
VC, you are correct. If you have XP and that driver, there shouldn't be any problems at all. I am using a 3 year or SB Live! original along with the original optional I/O card using optical out. I dont have any audio problems at all. In fact, this is the best my audio has ever sounded period. The closest to this audio fidelity (s/pdif) was when I used to use PowerDVD.

I dont know if this will help, but I would have had audio problems in general on my SB Live! card from day 1 if it weren't for Creative labs leaked drivers (3507 and 3511). Neither the ones included with XP nor the updated ones available via (Windows Update) fixed my audio problems until I upgraded to leaked drivers.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:
I dont know if this will help, but I would have had audio problems in general on my SB Live! card from day 1 if it weren't for Creative labs leaked drivers (3507 and 3511). Neither the ones included with XP nor the updated ones available via (Windows Update) fixed my audio problems until I upgraded to leaked drivers.
where can I download these drivers?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.