wouldn't say so. It should be said that all my 'reference' DVD's is at my

brothers house, so I can't make complete comparison. But so far, I

think that it's sort-of blurry.

Any thoughts?

Nicholas

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I've tried Sonic Cineplayer Trial Compared to PowerDVD and I don't think it is all that great either. I fine tuned it as much as possible and although I don't think either is as grainy, the Cineplayer Red definition didn't 'appear' to be as accurate, especially while trying out Toy Story. With Cineplayer a majority of the reds or semi-reds appeared the same. When I used PowerDVD, it was more separated and defined. You could see the reddish-pinks, and reddish-oranges reddish-browns that I couldn't see with the Sonic Player.

I'm thinking it just might be better for smoother playback.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Nicholas,

that was the EXACT same observations I made when I tried Cineplayer instead of PowerDVD. PowerDVD was "smoother", but probably less details compared to the sharp, grainy Cineplayer.

Now I just use NVDVD.

Which graphics card do you use?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use a Radeon 7500, and yes, I use HW.

Esben, where in Denmark are you? And why 'Strong Member'?:)

I just have a feeling that I've seen you before...

Nicholas

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I also use HW acceleration, but on a Nvidia Quadro 4 700 XGL.

"Strong Member" is because I wanted to refresh my title below the picture, since I got bored of "Plasma Member".

I began weight training 4 months ago, and so I thought "Strong Member" would be a fun title:)

Just to be different.

I'm from Holte, just north of Copenhagen.

Have and/or are you associated with any form of DV video editing?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Well, all I can say is you guys are nuts.

Look carefully at the comparison shots in that other thread and you'll see that Powerdvd actually delineates the pixels so much that you can see each pixel. Even so, it has less *actual* detail than Sonic. The demo may still have the red chroma bug in software mode, that would explain the red problems. Overall Powerdvd is laughable when I compare it to Sonic. Even the old Cineplayer 4 is better. The only player Powerdvd beats is the dreadful Windvd.

I guess YMMV.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Jesse, I suppose you have tested all three software players on your system. Or are you going just by the screenshots posted?

NickB

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I've used all of them on my NEC 6PG crt pj. Runs at [email protected] and the differences are easy to see. Only player I haven't tried yet is NVDVD 2.xx

Best to Worse so far:

Group #1

Sonic Cineplayer 1.5/TT 1.5 (788)

Ravisent Cineplayer 4 (610/664)

Group #2

CoolDVD

NVDVD 2.xx?

Group #3

NVDVD 1.xx

PowerDVD 4

Windvd 4

If you're using a PC/Laptop though, the differences aren't that noticeable. Then it just comes down to what features you want and which interface you prefer.

My rankings are for NTSC film based DVD's. NTSC video is poorly deinterlaced even on Sonic/TT with tons of jaggies and combed frames. If one of these players really wanted to stand out they should incorporate a Tomsmocomp quality deinterlacer.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I just finished watching some material. I had a lot of beers, and

put on some things, mostly video. I played the Iron Maiden concert.

I must say that I don't like the image compared to PowerDVD. I think

that PDVD is sharper. Way sharper.

I'll get my favorite image-quality DVD's back tomorrow, I'll make my

final judgement there.

Nichola

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NickB, :)

Well, actually I think it's blocky. Cineplayer that is. Not my head. Well,

maybe a little.

Nicholas

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse S
The demo may still have the red chroma bug in software mode, that would explain the red problems.

I guess YMMV.
I wasn't using it in Software mode. Hardware Accelerated. Re-tried it with Fifth Element. Same case. All the reds looked alike. I don't think that PowerDVD is all that great, but I have yet to find one that runs as smooth on my HTPC as it does, with apparently more accurate colors than any of the others. PowerDVD was plug & play for me whereas the others always had to be tweaked to run right.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Powerdvd's picture is unwatchable in my opinion.

Is not the color, is the fluidity of playback that gets me all the time I start PowerDVD XP4. I must have done a really good job with my HTPC if I can get so much out of my Cineplayer 1.5.

BTW, I use the Cineplayer video filter coupled with Windvd4 audio in ZoomPlayer.

What video drivers are you using? Catalysts 2.4?

Also, have you tested other film material than the Fifth Element? You reported that PVDV runs more smoothly than Cineplayer on your system. When I play PDVD is stutter galore on my system and absolutely stutter free playback when I use the Cineplayer filter in Zoom... I NEVER use Cineplayer on its own, so maybe there is where we the difference could come from.

BTW Esben, did you ever test my filter for Zoom? I remember you asked me for it a while back...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.