AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has given me the go ahead to purchase an amp when I get the car paid off in January. I've narrowed my choices to the Cinepro 2K6III and the Bryston 9B-ST. The Cinepro is less expensive with 6 channels but the Bryston has that nice 20 year warranty. I will be able to demo the Cinepro with their 30-day trial period, but I do not have a dealer of either of these nearby. So, I would like users of each of these amps to give me their pros and cons. I have Energy speakers all around which will be the next upgrade, hopefully to the new JM Labs new Electra line, but that won't be till later. I'll be using my Pioneer Elite receiver as the processor for now. Any and all comments are welcome regarding these two amps and companies, but please don't tell me to upgrade my speakers first, I will do that at a later time. Thanks.

Mike :)

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
It's hard to argue against the Bryston's 20 year warranty, no question about it.

However I would personally find it tough to chose between the two -- and I currently own a 3K6 Series 3.\\

It's not like either will be a bad choice.

How 'bout the rest of your system context. If your speakers sensitivity is

They are both very good amplifiers.

Not much help, huh?

Regards,

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,

I know much of the advice I get will be similar to yours, not much help, but I'm hoping for that one piece of info I have not considered which will help me make the decision when that time comes. I will probably some day be running the B&W N804's or the new Electra line from JM Labs for my three front speakers. I hoping to have 4 Thiel PowerPoints as my surrounds and I think the Cinepro's extra power will be nice. Anybody else care to chime in??

Mike

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
If your ultimate configuration is going to be 7 channels, you might consider the X7 from Cinepro which is due to be released in the near future. It's modular with roughly the same power output as the 2K6. I think the base configuration is 5 channels, and it can grow to 7.

They were displaying this amplifier at CEDIA in September, so it can't be "top secret" ;-)

You might want to give Cinepro a call and ask them about this amp as well.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
Just a note, my friend Loren Roetman, HOme Entertainment Concepts, [email protected]

is closing out his Bryston and PMC stuff in his showroom (replacing with Vienna Acoustics and other amps) and he sell you a Bryston 9B at his dealer cost or below. If that's the one you decide to get.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve and John,

Thanks for the tips, I will email Eric at Cinepro and ask him about the X7 and Steve I will keep your friends email address in case I decide to go with the Bryston.

Mike

·
Registered
726 Posts
Mike,

For my 7-channel setup, I'm using a 4bst to drive N802s and the 9bst to drive the center & surrounds (Nhtm1 & von Schweikert TS350). I went with this approach to achieve good stereo sound first and then decent movie sound. This approach doesn't require me to turn on the 2nd amp if I'm only listening to stereo. I was concerned about background noise coming from the surround speakers when only listening to 2 channel music.

Also, most surround speakers seem to be rated in the 100W range, so high powered surround amps don't seem to be needed.

Cyrus

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.