Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is anyone familiar with this machine. From the outside it looks like a stripped down Lexcicon MC12. While I know this is unlikely, it even has a music 7 mode (as in Logic 7)

Whats the score on this thing.

George

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
George,

"From the outside it looks like a stripped down Lexcicon MC12. While I know this is unlikely, it even has a music 7 mode (as in Logic 7) "

It only looks like the MC-12. Internally they are completely different machines as can be seen by checking out what DSP engines they use. The MC-12 runs a Crystal and 4 SHARCs... the DTC-10 runs Motorolla.

Shawn

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much Shawn,

The burning question that remains, is the Lex worth twice as much?

If the cinepro has 75% of the performance, my answer would be surely not ??? But then again I'm a newbie and any direction would be helpfull.

George

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"The burning question that remains, is the Lex worth twice as much?"

Only you can answer that as the answer will depend upon the purchaser.

Shawn

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
George,

"Do you know if anyone has reviewed this machine. One of the Mags perhaps? "

I haven't seen any yet. Has it been released?

Shawn

·
Registered
345 Posts
Shawn is right it is a totally different machine architecturally.

It does have a 7 channel mode, but it is Cinepro's own.

SW is done by leading development shop and is the same company that writes the firmware for Motorola.

I have high hopes for this processor in terms of value for the $3999.

Initial shipments to dealers are coming in first half of July.

Stay tunned.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Released... it hasn't been built. :)

Cinepro dealer here.

In conversations with Cinepro over the last couple of months... Last week. "There is only one real unit right now on my desk." That wasd from Travis when we were talking about the beta testing.

Didn't get the line about July. But that sounds pretty good. The DTC-10 was announced back in 2000 or maybe 1999. Cinepro has long wanted to provide a quality premp to go along with the stellar amps. Earlier DTC-10s were products of farming. This unit was built from the ground up with an agreement between Cinepro and 2 other companies. The designer has quite the last name...

Whgat I can tell you for sure is that the DCT-10 was concieved to be the compliment to the Cinepro 3k6 1k2. People were asking why it lacked balanced connectors. Eric had initally planned to have a SE version later down the line.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Darian:

Since this prepro is supposed to compliment a Cinepro amp, why is the prepro a 7 channel design while the amps are of 6 channel variety? Either make the prepro 6 channel or start offering a 7 channel amp. You agree?

Rich B.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Rich,

Cinepro showed a 7 channel design at CEDIA 2001.... I thought they were calling it the X-7, or something along those lines.

Cinepro's 6 channel architecture goes back along ways for them. The amps are populated with 3 stereo modules, plus a massive transformer to serve all the channels. It was easier and less expensive to use three stereo modules than two stereo modules and a single mono module.

Whether the 7 channel amp makes it out or not is unknown to me at this point.

Regards,

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks for info John. I'm sure you'd agree that coming out with mis-matching products that are ideally supposed to match would be silly.

Especially since that other prepro (the one that doesn't look like the cinepro :) ) does have a matching 7 channel amp.

Rich B.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Rich,

DTS-ES and DD-EX (aka THX-EX) are really 6 channel formats. The information is presented to 6 or 7 speakers.

You could quite easily wire serially dual surrounds and have a single amplifier channel suffice.

This type of "mismatch" happens all the time. Take a look at all the companies who manufacture processors without balanced preamp outputs, and have balanced inputs on their amplifiers.

Until the latest round of amplifiers, Lexicon didn't have a match for 6 or 7 channels with their brand of amplifiers.

Regards,

·
Registered
257 Posts
John:

Fair enough, you make good points. You're definitely right as to other "mismatches." My mind was fixed on newer products from a few brands that were "matched". Those being: Lex, Anthem, Integra, Outlaw. I guess I'm just being picky.

I realize that Cinepro's amps are of super killer design (both in output & quality). I am hoping their new prepro will shakeup the competition a little bit - I just anticipate the one channel difference being the reason that some buyers may consider the prepro but then not want their amp. Just my opinion. I wonder what Cinepro dealers think? They should have a good idea as to what their consumers are looking for.

Rich B.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Rich,

There are other names that "mismatch", like Bryston. Want 7 channels comparabe to the 4B? That means a 6B-ST, and two 4Bs, or 2x 6Bs + a PowerPac 250... or.....

Since the matching amp has been displayed -- it's really a question of how much value an individual with a 7.1 setup places on having 1 amplifier chassis vs. 2 (or more) in the short term.

It's fine to be critical -- and work towards a perfect solution for yourself (and others).

Regards,

·
Registered
842 Posts
John: There are no 7 channel amps on the new inventory order sheet.

Rich: John nailed it about the stereo desinges. Remember that Cinepro likes to drive passive subs. So a 6 channel plus a 2 channel seems like a pretty good match. Also as John pointed out... DTSES and DDEX are 6 channel.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich B

I realize that Cinepro's amps are of super killer design (both in output & quality). I am hoping their new prepro will shakeup the competition a little bit.
It looks promising on paper, but historically amplifier expertise equates to processor expertise like Latvian to Latin.

But maybe we'll all get lucky this time!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Darian,

They showed it at CEDIA 2001, but not at CES 2002. Hopefully with the DTC-10 wrapping up development they'll get it out the door by year's end.

I'm afraid to know how much that would cost from Cinepro :D

Did I mention my 3K6, Series III really enjoys driving the SV Subs CS Ultra :D

Regards,

·
Registered
659 Posts
John,

I have a 7.1 channel Tag McLaren pre/pro and needed extra channels to drive the surrounds and A Stryke HE15.4(4 voice coils). The second Cinepro 2K6III worked great and leaves many option for driving just about anything. The new Cinepro pre/pro looks very interesting! If it is a good performer may be less money than the upgrade price for my Tag. :cool:

Rick

·
Registered
49 Posts
My question is this... I too am looking at a new system for my new house I will be building in the next six months.....

I to have been looking at the new Cinepro DTC-10.

The setup I have been considering is as follows

VMPS RM-40's for the fronts.

VMPS LCR for the center channel

VMPS 626 Ribbons for all four of the surround speakers.

VMPS New Larger Sub

2 Cinepro 3k6SE Golds for the Amps.

Thats just a rough draft at this point. I am really stuck on the Pre/pro though. I listen to about 70/30 in favor of HT.....

What do you think guys.... Will those amps match up well with the speaker setup?

Thanks

Chad

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.