Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
csii filter zoom player

Actually, more precisely i'm referring to the csii dmo audio effect (hereinafter referred to as csii dmo) which can be used in zoom player 3.10.

First, a little history of the two key pieces of software on my machine. I've had the csii plug (most current version-can't remember vers #) for wmp9 for quite a long time now. I've only been playing with zoom player for a couple of weeks, so im a bit of a neophyte. Now, using graphedit, i never noticed that there was a csii dmo (under dmo audio effect category, of course).

Could be that it just wasn't there, or i really didn't notice it.

Well, yesterday i dled and install directdvd 5.0 (from orion studios), knowing that it also had csii processing. Well, low and behold, when i loaded graphedit i found csii dmo. So, i played around with it in graphedit. It worked. Wasn't picky about media input either. I didn't get a chance to try it with as many diff inputs as i'd have liked to, cause had to go out. It did work with mp3 audio, wma lossless, and a vcd i tried. I bet it'd work with divx, and even more. At the moment, i'm not at my own machine, so can't try.

Furthermore, going into the csii properties in graphedit, i found quite a few options: gain, phantom center, trubass, and many more. I really cant remember them all now. 2 things that were missing, compared to the wmp9 plug were dialog clarity and indivual channel volume levels. Sadly, the filter properties would not remember their settings once i started a new graph.

I also tried to use the csii dmo in zp. First i tried to created mediagraphs for specific file types, but this canNOT be done. I found this had already been confirmed for other dmos by Blight on the zp forums. You can only use the dmo effects in the custom media mode of zp 3.10 and higher (CANNOT be used in zp3.0 or lower). To do this in 3.10, u must enable custom media mode, and then go to the audio decoders. Choose an audio decoder from the list and configure it. Load the csii dmo after the audio decoder filter (For more info on this, refer to the zp guide for custom media mode on the zp website). Unfortunately, although the csii dmo was used by zp, i couldn't even enter the filter properties page to configure it via zp. I did confirm the csii processing with my ears though but I think the volume level was definitely lower than in stereo mode.

Then i went to wmp9, and my csii plug for it wouldn't work.

Anyway,i uninstalled both directdvd and csii wmp9 plug, went to graphedit, and csii dmo was still there. As of now i'm not sure what file on my computer controls csii dmo. And i'm still not sure if it came with the wmp9 plug or directdvd, or both.

I reinstalled directdvd, and then csii wmp9 plug. Then I went to graphedit and checked csii dmo properties. Now i had the exact same configuration available through wmp9 csii plug. So, i was missing some of the advanced features i had before, but now i had individ channel volume level control and dialog clarity (and it also looks better than the basic properties page for filters).

Also, i can now configure csii through wmp9, and the same settings will be used by zoomplayer. So i don't have to access the properties through zp, which i cant do anyway, and more important, the settings will be remembered. Do not use csii with zp and adjust the settings in wmp9 while both windows are open. I carelessly did, and wmp9 crashed. Make sure you configure the settings with wmp9, close it, and then use csii dmo for zp.

My apologies if the long story of my trials and tribulations bored any of you, but i wanted to describe my whole process because i think it'll be useful to anyone who would like to try this.

I know there are many people who prefer csii to plii, so i hope this helps.

Again, let me state that i have not tried this with all media types--only the ones i listed. Please do try with other media types and post ur results. Zp is great, ive got csii with it, so i'm a happy camper.

I also noticed that csii does have dialog leakage to other channels, but according to srs, they based it on the hass effect (is that right?).

I also have a question for u guys

FORUM MEMBERS: Okay, shut up already!

If u currently have only wmp9 with csii plug (without directdvd installed), do u have this dmo audio effect available?

Plus one bonus question. What file on my computer gives the csii dmo?

You can download directdvd 5.0 trial from the orion website (do a google search) or from download.com.

Lastly, if this has already been explained, forget that you saw this post. Forget my blabbering.

I think that's it. If i forgot something, i'll let you know

FORUM MEMBERS: No, no! Please don't. You've already written enough.

Cheers,

Josh

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Argh, problem posting. Here goes again.

That would be very nice to adjust the properties settings within zp. I am already happy just to be able to use the dmos.

Salute Blight.

I also don't mind going to wmp9 to adjust settings. But i do see how this could be very useful for other dmos.

Btw, conflicts with all the different directshow filters and their diff versions is annoying. Some versions of intervideo filters work for some connections, others dont, etc. This reminds me of litestep, if any of u guys have used that. Remember all those conflicts with different modules, module versions, and litestep versions. It was acceptable, bc it was so configurable, and no huge corporations making $ off it.

But for many direct show filters, they're written by huge corps. M$ and the big time media player companies have got to put more resources into making the dsfilters work properly.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
jlo:

They don't really care all that much as most of the money is coming from oem deals that sell their players. And at least with WinDVD/PowerDVD, their players are not using their own filters.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, i guess i realize this. If I were them, i might do the same. Its also probably a bit scary to know u were putting out perfect filters that endusers could download for free and use as they like.

Well, we can always just use their players and be forcefed whatever they give us. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, i guess my questions were a little premature.

Got back to my box. The csii dmos are called DMO_CSDecode.dll

The dmo for wmp9 is in my program files\\srs\\csiiplugin dir. It's version 1.0.0.3

The dmo for directdvd is in the windows\\system32\\ dir. It's version 1.0.1.0

Each dmo does have different property settings.

For wmp9 csii dmo, there is:

Mode: Cinema Music Mono

SRS TruBass Level

SRS Dialog Clarity

Speaker Size: S(mall) or L(arge)

Speaker Levels for 6 channels

Speaker Setup: 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1

Reset Defaults

For DirectDVD 5.0 csii dmo, there is:

Mode: Cinema Music Mono

Rear Center: Enable Full Bandwith

Bypass

TS Output (?)

Bypass Type: normal 4channel 6channel

Phanton Center

Full Bandwith Center

Input Gain

TruBass: Front Subwoofer

TruBass Level

Speaker Size: Small Medium Large

Focus adjustments

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Thanks for that tip, I had always wanted to hear CS 2, sounds very good, just used graphedit to try it.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
 http://webhost.bridgew.edu/ylam/circle.jpg

Import a registry key and then build a filter graph as shown above.

The one on the top should be different for everyone. Just pick yours from Graph > Insert Filters... > Audio Capture Sources

Now any soundcards can be used to capture audio from external sources and Circle Surround II will be applied.

I added InterVideo DSP DMO because of delay adjustments. It is not really necessary so we might remove that without any problems.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
BTW, If anyone has any code that shows the DMO property dialog from an IBaseFilter interface, it would be more than welcome. Right now, anything I seem to try just causes a freeze with no errors when trying to create the dialog.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've found out that the csii dmo isn't enabled by wmp9 csii plug by default. Directdvd adds this reg key:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\DirectShow\\MediaObjects\\8967e796-9227-425d-9140-419cda226b30]

@="Circle Surround II Decoder"

"InputTypes"=hex:61,75,64,73,00,00,10,00,80,00,00,aa,00,38,9 b,71,01,00,00,00,\\

00,00,10,00,80,00,00,aa,00,38,9b,71

"OutputTypes"=hex:61,75,64,73,00,00,10,00,80,00,00,aa,00,38, 9b,71,01,00,00,00,\\

00,00,10,00,80,00,00,aa,00,38,9b,71

On my box, if i uninstall both directdvd and wmp9 csii plug, and delate all *csdecode*.* files on my computer, graphedit still shows csii dmo, but if u try to insert it into a graph, cannot, of course. I then delated the aforementioned reg key. After this, graphedit, didnt show the csii dmo anymore. Then i installed csii wmp9 plug, checked graphed, no csii dmo. So, i added this regkey manually. Graphedit & zp allowed usage of the csii dmo.

I thought: Cool, so u don't even need to install directdvd.

I tried on another clean box--no directdvd or wmp9 csii plug ever installed. I proceeded to install the wmp csii plug and then added the regkey (I even tried copying all *csdecode*.* files from the program files\\srs\\csii plugin dir to the windows\\system32 dir).

Unfortunately, graphedit didn't show the csii dmo on this box.

I don't know what directdvd did to my machine, but without it at least being installed once and then uninstalled, i cannot use the csii dmo. It doesnt really matter. I can still use the dmo myself. I'm just curious. If/when i get some time and figure it out, i'll update.

[This has been edited to remove incomplete regfile. Scroll down to a later post to find the correct one.]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm using zp 3.10 rc1, & have tried zp 3.10 rc3.

Sometimes (not always) when i use the csii dmo in zoom player, and then stop playing the media file, zp refuses to close. The only way i can get it closed is by using windows task manager.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Argh... you won't even believe why it didn't work! it's because I didn't call coinitialize and since ZP opens the property pages in a different thread, it failed... In any case, it should be working now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, that's great news, Blight. So we will be able to access the dmo props via zp. So i guess now we have a choise to use either the csii wmp9 dmo, or the directdvd csii dmo.

Anyway, if u have csii wmp9 plug installed, & u do not wish to install directdvd 5.0, i now have the complete registry settings to enable csii wmp9 dmo without ever installing directdvd. I have attached the reg keys file. Just unzip, double click and say yes to enter into reg. (It turns out, i was only missing one reg key)

Less Software ever installed=more stable machine.

However, now that we can enter the csii props via zp, the directdvd version is looking more enticing--more options.

Btw, i wonder who chose not to enable the csii dmo (wmp9) for directshow compliant apps--SRS or M$? Probably M$.

dmo_csii_wmp9.zip 0.3759765625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
With 3.1 final, CS2 property page opens and settings can be adjusted,

but using the next/prev track, stop, etc causes stuttering for a couple of seconds on my system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can also confirm that the dmo properties can be accessed fine with zp 3.10 final. Also, i have no problem closing zp anymore after playing back media with a dmo effect. However, i didn't notice any stuttering in zoom player.

Funny tho, when i use the csii plug for wmp9, in wmp9, i get the exact stuttering ur speaking of. If i stop, pause, next track, previous, or play a media file from the playlist. I wonder if its a problem with the dmo itself.

JackLT, have u confirmed this with other dmos also?

Btw, which csii dmo r u using? wmp9 or directdvd?

I just use wmp9 dmo cause it will remember the settings if u close & reopen zp. I've checked registry accesses, and can pinpoint the registry keys that wmp9 csii dmo acces when u change property settings. With the directdvd, it doesn't seem to access the registry at all, which is why it cannot remember ur settings.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I'm using the directdvd dmo. I just tried it in Graphedit and when I press stop, heard the same stuttering. I don't recall hearing it yesterday. Strange.

So it's not Zoomplayer, as you mentioned ZP is fine with your setup.

I could not get another DMO to work in graphedit, any suggestions to test?

Only thing I changed since yesterday was to install the DFX plugin for winamp and wmp, it seems to sound better than CS2, have to do some more testing today.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm...I don't think i ever had any stuttering in the directdvd dmo either.

I'm at a friends right now, but off the top of my head, i remember being able to use the parametric eq dmo and the trusurround xt dmo okay. I also couldn't get some of the dmos to work in graphedit.

Have u tried rebooting/uninstalling dfx. I have the dee2 plugin for wmp9 installed. But i even had stuttering in wmp9 csii before i installed dee2.

Could it be a sc issue?

Are u using csii for an external source or for files on your computer?

What kind of media files are u playing? Does it happen with all media types? If i recall correctly, using wmp9 with csii, i only got the stuttering with audio files--mp3, wma. With video--mpeg, divx, no stuttering.

Just some things to think about. Maybe we can pinpoint the problem.

When I get back home, ill try the dmos again & let u know the results.

As for DFX for winamp, i do like that, and dee2 as well. However, those will not expand a stereo source to 5.1 (~discrete) channels. If ur using those alone, you will only get stereoX2. I am able to use dee2 and csii in wmp9 at the same time. That way u can get the best of both worlds. In zoom player u can use the tfm eq, or even the directdvd 10 band eq (they're both directshow filters, not a dmos).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've done more testing with the wmp9 csii dmo, directdvd csii dmo, and other dmos in zp and/or graphedit. I'm not getting the stuttering ur speaking of. However, I can get a very slight stuttering with or without any dmos or unneccessary filters (less than a second), and sometimes a pop or click. But this only happens about 10% of the time--if i skip ahead, move the timeline slider, stop, or change tracks using the playlist.

It was pretty unnoticeable. Now it's just a little more noticeable (psychological thing). It's like this: "da-duh" or "da-da-duh".

It really is nothing compared to the stuttering i get using csii within wmp9. In that case, i get about two seconds of constant stuttering, like u mentioned before. That isn't so enjoyable. In wmp9, it only happens when playing mp3 i find, and only sometimes. I can't reproduce it. Doesn't happen with wma lossless or video.

Also, if u try to move the timeline in graphedit, u will always get some stuttering--once again, nothing like wmp9. At least this is true with my setup.

As for the dmos i can use in graph edit:

id3l2 reverb

intervideo compander

intervideo dsp dmo-----if u've got this, u can use it to get some reverb and other effects. Could possibly be a substitute for dfx, used with tfm eq.

intervideo timestretch

intervideo exp--doesn't actually seem to process stereo expansion--ice, pro logic, pro logic 2. I just gives me stereoX2

chorus

compressor

distortion

echo

parametric eq

csii, of course

etc.

I could've sworn trusurround xt dmo used to work, but now it just crashes graphedit. Maybe i installed something that screwed it up. I dont know. I also could've sworn that some of those intervideo dmos used to crash graphedit, but now they work. Am i going crazy?...Nah, must be a windaz thing or due to the (un)installation of some other apps.

Maybe u could also try changing the audio renderer. In the recent past, i had trouble using anything but default direct sound device with some directshow filters, namely the intervideo ones.

I'm using winXP w/out SP1 and directx 8.1. I did have SP1, but i did a clean install about 2 wks ago, and haven't gotten around to SP1 or dx9 yet.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.