AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else seen lighter colored circles in their LT150 picture? I have two side-by-side in the bottom left quadrant of the screen, visible only when the screen is all black or really dark. They're two or three inches in diameter on an 80" screen.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
what do you have your projector hooked up to?

i'm using s-video and when i stand about 2 feet away from the screen, it looks like a swarm of mosquitos...very noisy.

haven't seen any circles though.

·
Registered
94 Posts

dilsnufus,

What you are seeing is the dust blobs on projector mirror. Try to vac very carefully from the fans side of the projector.

Or (and it's better), call to NEC service department.

ckolchak,

You've see the scaler/deinterlacer artifacts. The S-VHS input on LT150 is not perfect, you need to bypass the

internal

deinterlacer - use the progressive DVD player, external scaler or HTPC.

------------------

-------

Regards,

-Gavrilych

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Gavrilych:

i kinda figured the crappy resolution/jagged edges etc, where due to the poor scaler of this pj, but i'm really wondering how much of an improvement just a good progressive scan player would be. would a decent scaler alone give a better picture than the prog scan? and i thought i read that most scalers work better with interlaced signals (i could be way off on this, but for some reason thats whgat i remember reading), then of course there's the all in one solutionfor dvds-HTPC. i hate to think about it because i'm not familiar with DOS or windows at all, and any simple os problem might give me fits!

i'd really like to think a decent ps player will really kick the picture up a notch, but i have my doubts.

would you say the benefits are close or better than this:

over interlaced s-video

progressive scan player- 10-15% increase in quality

scaler- 15-20% increase

HTPC- up to 25% increase

how close do you think i am

...anybody?

·
Registered
94 Posts

The scaler itself is very good on this projector. It's scales signals of any resolution from HDTV and VGA to

projectors native 1024x768. The deinterlacer is poor.

You'll be amazed how a good progressive DVD player improves the quality of picture!

I use Skyworth -1050P and quality of picture compares with good HTPC. It has Sage/Farougia deinterlacer board

inside and costs only $360-$400. The same quality scaler will cost you thousands. Panasonic 91 also excellent

candidate and costs $450. Go that road if you don't want HTPC hassles. But, HTPC has its own advantages such

an ability get rid of the rainbows true the higher refresh rates...

------------------

-------

Regards,

-Gavrilych

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ckolchak:
Gavrilych:

would you say the benefits are close or better than this:

over interlaced s-video

progressive scan player- 10-15% increase in quality

scaler- 15-20% increase

HTPC- up to 25% increase

how close do you think i am

...anybody?
Can't speak for the LT150 since I haven't got mine yet, but on my Sanyo XP21N going from an S-Video input to the component video input using a Progressive Scan DVD are night and day. The S-Video is tolerable, the Component input is awesome. Don't know how to put a number on that, but it multiple times better.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gavrilych:
HTPC has its own advantages such

an ability get rid of the rainbows true the higher refresh rates...
I'm not sure this is true. I see rainbows at all refresh rates. The consensus seems to be that the LT150 has a fixed frequency color wheel so speeding up the source doesn't help. In fact speeding up the refresh rate on my HTPC causes "tearing" on moving scenes and stuttering on pans. I believe Frode has seen this behavior as well.

------------------

Tom L.

NEC LT150 FAQ

My stuff, pictures, HTPC, and screen tests

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i'm finding the screendoor becomes more pronounced when the camera is panning. its almost like the projector can't keep up with the image and it digitally degenerates for a split second.

defocusing slighty seems to alleviate the worst of the sd for me, but when pans occur, it looks very digital and really breaks the film-like mood.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ckolchak:

I think that a progressive scan player will make a lot of difference. But I still maintain that this projector tends to reveal image anomalites if watched too close. I said this in another thread and was flamed to a crisp. With PS, and watching from more than 2 screen widths away, the 150 looks stunning. From too close, fine details look, to ME, as though they are in an unstable, digitized state. I do not disbelieve others when they say that an HTPC is the answer. The question is, should we have to spend all that extra money when many other projectors look superb on PS and some (like the Infocus 340/350) look splendid on S-video with their fine internal scalers. In my case, of course, I would have had to buy a second, brighter projector for presentation use, so the total bill for keeping the 150 (2 projectors + HTPC), even with Dell's deal, would have gone to at least $8K.

Mike

·
Registered
733 Posts
These are my thoughts from several months of LT150 use.

1. Proscan DVD player through component is a huge improvement over interlaced s-video signal - for every projector I have used except the LP350 (best on board internal processing I've had the pleasure to test).

2. Some pixelization seen on LT150 with proscan DVD player is eliminated with HTPC for my viewing distance (14 to 17 feet on a 92 inch wide screen).

3. I have tried four different screens with the LT150 - the hipower is the "best" I have seen with it.

4. I have compared the LT150 against four other projectors in an exhausting shootout (I was exhausted afterwards) using the hipower screen and s-video interlaced feed and HTPC feed for all of them - same everything! The LT150 was IMO by far the best. My Marantz came in second for image quality.

5. My number one complaint of presentation projectors was "crawlies" - video noise that looks like a swarm of insects in sky scenes especially. The LT150, LP350 and Proxima DX3 exhibited this problem, especially when using the HTPC. My Marantz and the Nec LT155 did not (or not nearly to the same extent). Turning the "white segment" to off saved the LT150 and eliminated the crawly problem (at least for me) and IMO elevated it from being a presentation projector that was great for HT into a great Home Theatre projector.

5. At one point I was seeing a lot of blurring on film sources and blamed the LT150 - turned out to be that I didn't have autodetect engaged on WinDVD (thanks for the tip Frode).

6. I have seen circles or blobs with both my Marantz and one of my LT150s - I vacuumed around the fan vents and this "fixed" it.

7. The better the equipment the more evident flaws from the software become.

8. Masking the screen, darkening the walls and ceiling (calibrating the room) makes a HUGE difference!

9. If I want a Seleco, Dwin or Sony G90 I can have one - it's that simple. Begs the question - why do I have 3 LT150s (one for proscan DVD, one for my HTPC and now one for HDTV - thanks Dell)! At the moment I have four projectors, three screens, two proscan DVD players, one HTPC (seven subwoofers for effect) an understanding spouse (sorry she's not for sale) and a partridge in a pear tree - and the count continues.

10. In a year or two I will probably have a new Sharp or Seleco or whatever, however, if someone tells me he or she has an LT150 my comment will be - "great projector"!

11. I know of no other projector (doesn't mean there isn't one) that can produce this kind of image, be so portable, and be so easy to set up!

This is a great projector to have while we wait for the perfect one. Sorry I don't have an answer to DLP rainbow for those that are bothered by it.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Grant,

"5. At one point I was seeing a lot of blurring on film sources and blamed the LT150 - turned out to be that I didn't have autodetect engaged on WinDVD (thanks for the tip Frode)."

Where did you make this change?

-Shawn

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Grant:

sorry i keep driving you to post the same 'fundemental facts' about this unit, again and again. you must really get sick of having to drum-beat the same info to people over and over (i know i would be)

when i diss this pj, there comes a point where i'm really commenting/criticizing my expectations based on

1) no previous fp experience

and

2) spending 6 months with (to me) a superb 53" digital set.

the only place that tv underperformed was when going from 4:3 material (for which 53" was a perfect size for me and the room) to 2:35 movies. maybe if i'd gotten a 16:9 set to begin with, i wouldn't have felt this way or felt curious to explore FP . But i also would still owe a lot more money on it.

i just bought some lumber, black velvet, and some cheaper black fabric (for the outer periphery) and will be making my screen enclosure/ variable width system tonight.

i can't wait to see this pj again once i have the velvet in place. my attitude could change drastically.

i had expected to have to paint the ceiling black, but now i'm not so sure. the illumination off the screen and reflected back off the walls and ceiling seems much less than i had anticipated. Thats a definite plus!

Sounds like your viewing distance may have a lot to do with the image you enjoy.

i'd really like to get as large as possible, maybe 96" wide for 2:35 movies, but maximum seating distance can only be a litle over 13'. i don't think thats gonna be a good ratio with this pj.

right now, also impeding my enjoyment factor a little, is the 6 month old $3000 unplugged rptv that looms off to the side, just at the edge of my sight. once thats sold off i will feel a little mentally freer to enjoy this( and the room won't seem as congested).

i'm looking forward to stepping up to a good p/scan and screen.

[This message has been edited by ckolchak (edited 08-03-2001).]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excuse me,

but it may seem im new but i happen to know a lot. Not only are u correct but i have to agree with Gavrilych from one of the first posts, saying it is a dust blot in the mirror, but there is still one problem, DO NOT VACCUM!!!!!! Not only will the vaccum sick in extra micrscopic particls but i lost over a 1 thousand dollars in equipment when i vaccumed my projector... it pulled a cod loose and it also knocked my out my lamp... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif it is very sensitive... so i would suggest u get specila assistance like an NES attendent...

------------------
<marquee behavior="alternate"right=">X-TiCnT-187 RuLeZ</marquee>
X-TiNcT-187... All Of Your Projector Needs!!!.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, it's nothing like artifacting or video noise. I thought dust too, but others have said dust only covers several pixels. These are big, again several inches in diameter on an 80" screen. Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.