AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from my local Circuit City and I'm pretty peeved (and just when I bragged a few weeks ago that Circuit City was getting better since Best Buy started running over them roughshod).

Last week at another Circuit City (also in a smaller town...not in a metro area), I was quoted a price of 2299 for the 51SWX20B, which retails for 2499. Well my wife caved this week and said "Let's go get it" so on my lunch break today, I go to the local Circuit City to buy it, expecting to get them to match the same price I was quoted at nearby Circuit City. I go in, tell the manager I want to buy the TV, a service plan, cables, and a component rack, but I'd like to get the $200 off that I was quoted at another store. He starts to demand I tell him where I was quoted that price, so I did, expecting him to confirm with the other store the price so I can be on my merry way with my new (and first) HDTV. The manager wasn't available at the other store, and he gets off the phone and basically says it is Circuit City's policy NOT to offer any discounts on price other than PriceMatch Plus and that the other store committed a big no-no.

I told him that doesn't make any sense, as I've read dozens and dozens of testimonials from people all over the country getting $100-$300 off this particular TV. I told him that it also doesn't make any sense that I can go to another store, get this discount, and have them deliver the very same TV from his own store. He said fine, I could do that, but he would have the jobs of whoever authorized such a deal, and that nowhere in the country do they ever do such a thing.

The local Circuit City has no major competition (Sears is their closest competitor) so they absolutely refuse to budge on their price for the TV (I think they are the #1 store for their particular region). Okay, that's no problem...I can deal with that. I will not, however, be treated like a child and be blatantly lied to simply because the guy doesn't have to compete like other stores do. I was completely courteous all the way through but unfortunately I did not get the same response in return. I will not be purchasing another item from this particular CC (it's a shame too because I spend $5000+ a year on electronics, computers, DVDs, CDs, games, etc.) and I wonder if I should just stop shopping at CC altogether. Maybe ordering online is the way to go.

This isn't an isolated situation, at least with the local CC. A few weeks ago a guy I know bought a laptop from CC as an 'opened item'. It was a great price on a good laptop, but the guy isn't computer savvy so he didn't really realize the price was about $400 less than it would normally have been for the same model on an 'opened item'. Well, he didn't have a particular disk that was supposed to come with the machine, so he went back into the store to get it (this is several days later). He took the machine thinking they'd need to know what type it was and issue him the correct disk. They took a look at it, realized they had originally mismarked the price, and they tried to take his computer away from him even after he'd bought it and taken it home for several days! After an hour of haggling with them (and them begging him to keep quiet as they offered deal after deal in place of the original laptop, thinking they could take advantage of his lack of electronics savvy), they eventually gave it back to him, but he has also sworn not to shop at CC ever again.

I've dealt with several CCs and some have been courteous and helpful while others (my local one in particular) have been a horse's ass. Is this a store to store type thing, as I've experienced, or does CC have widespread problems like this? Thanks for letting me rant.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
In my experience CC has a sh**ty attitude, plain and simple. I tried to exchange a PNY Verto Ti 4200 for another one a while back. Now mind you, it says LIFETIME WARRANTY on the front of the box.

Their response was, "I can get you the contact # but we can't exchange it". I said don't bother, I can get the contact address. I informed the manager that CC's policy sucked, and this experience has ruined any future sales they might have from me.

I understand that the local store employees don't make the policy; but I thought it was important that they know my position.

Look, I know that taking returns on electronic equipment is a pain. But it's part of the business. My understanding is that Walmart won't even carry a product unless the manufacturer/distributor agrees to take the product back should it be returned.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's funny considering their commercial about hassle-free returns.

I forgot one thing in my story: The guy told me he'd price match any Best Buy in the country on that Hitachi TV. I told him Best Buy doesn't carry Hitachi TVs. He smiled and said 'I know'.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just bought one from Sears. They had 0% financing for a year and had a deal where you get free delivery. It was $2499, but they delivered it the very next day in perfect condition. I am satisfied, but agree you had a crappy experience. One of my pet peaves about CC is that when you are ready to check out, the hundred or so employees they have in the store are suddenly doing something important like shuffling papers or taking a personal call, instead of being ready to check you out. I go straight to the customer service counter, when I'm ready to check out, now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nixter,

Don't know if this will help, but I got my 57SWX20B with 4 year warranty delivery and tax last week. It was 2,500.52 from the Circuit City in West Palm Beach, FL. The salemans name was Lazaro and the manager was Karly. The breakdown on the receipt was 1,898.98 for the tv, 459.99 for the warranty, .01 for delivery and 141.54 for sales tax, totaling 2,500.52. Maybe this will help you in your negotiations. Good luck.

Robbie

·
Registered
748 Posts
I love my local CC. Living in a major metro area helps though. All the stores know they have to compete for your dollar. I've actually paid a little more for items at CC than I could have gotten them for on the internet just because of the type of service I've gotten from them in the last couple of years.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
If you have a Video Only store in the neighborhood, check them out, I have had excellent luck with them and their prices are lower than anyone, guaranteed with a 30 day price match guarantee.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Nixter sorry to hear about your hassle but you may want to go another time when that manager isnt working. I have had 2 seperate managers from the local CC stores bend over backwards to help.

Every local is different and the biggest factor is always going to be competition.

Damn Robbie got a good deal considering when I bought my 57SWX20B from the West Palm store back in october I got a great deal at $2400 delivered without the warranty.

Mobius the vid card manufacturer offers the lifetime warranty not the store, I think you have a little misplaced anger there.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I worked at CC for several years, and people like mobius piss me off. Customers come in 3 or 5 months after purchasing something and then want to exchange it or return it. When the CSA says that our return policy is 1 month, they get all pissed and start getting personal. All CC's have return policy's posted all over the store, so its not like that person couldn't have known. And "Lifetime Warranty" doesn't mean "Lifetime Return Policy". It just means that if it stops working then the manufacturer will fix it or replace it. The local store usually has nothing to do with that. I'm sure there are some of you who generally got screwed 'cause you were unfortunate enough to deal with a manager who was in a pissy mode, but those of us who have worked retail understand that its more often the customer who's impatient and simply doesn't understand the explicitly stated policies.

Joe

·
Registered
621 Posts
Personally, I have had nothing but GREAT srvice from Circuit City. Granted I live in a small town, so the Circuit City is probably staffed with a different sort of employee.

I first got my SONY KP51HW40 last July. 4 months, yes 4 months later I got the dreaded flickers. I called the Circuit City 1-800 number because of the extended warranty. They gave me an authorization number and the name and number of the local repair facility. I called the local tech and he said it could be anywhere from 6-8 weeks for final repairs. This included 2 weeks until a service visit to determine problem because of too much work for the repair center, time to order any neccessary parts, install new parts, re-calibrate tv, etc... Mind you this was before the Flickers became very well known. I told him I'd call him back.

I went over to Circuit City to ask the manager if they had any type of loaner program or something I could do being I would be without my TV for 6-8 weeks. The store director said waiting 6-8 weeks was totally unacceptable. He said, and I quote, "When would be a good time to deliver you a replacement?" I damn near fainted. He delivered me the newer model KP51ws500 that following Saturday.

Guess what???? 4 weeks later, the ws500 started the same flickering. I went back to the Circuit City being it was within the 30 days. The manager offered me another replacement, or a different brand in the same price range if I wanted. 3 days later I had a new Hitachi.

Plus to top it all off, the manager re-validated my extended warranty to begin on the day I received the hitachi. A great set, great service, and a 6 month extension on the warranty. Circuit City CAN be fantastic... later.... Mike....

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
CC is has one of the worst consumer satisfaction ratings according to talk show host, consumer advocat, Clark Howard. It seems for every one that gets good service more get poor.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mattburk
CC is has one of the worst consumer satisfaction ratings according to talk show host, consumer advocat, Clark Howard. It seems for every one that gets good service more get poor.
This surprises me. All of my experiences recently have been possitive. Maybe that is because I purchased the warranty on the items I have had problems with, but everything was quick and easy.

I think that if you purchase the waranty, things are a lot better on the service end.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ntode
This surprises me. All of my experiences recently have been possitive. Maybe that is because I purchased the warranty on the items I have had problems with, but everything was quick and easy.

I think that if you purchase the waranty, things are a lot better on the service end.
That is one thing about Circuit City... if you buy the warranty you suddenly become like royalty or a king/queen.

CC really bends over backwards for you when you have the extended service and need some help... Thier attitude really is "we need to take care of this" instead of most retialers who care less.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
ntode, here ya go, this is one of many quotes

Circuit City

Clark usually doesn't name company names for individual consumer complaints, problems or other situations, but will name a company if the problems become chronic and are frequently repeated to show a pattern.

Clark named Circuit City today as having a great share of customer service problems. The marketplace is speaking in a direct way to the retailer and are turning away from doing business with the company. Sales are down 25%. The state of Michigan is suing Circuit City for a pattern of advertising product but not having the proper inventory to offer consumers. Rain checks are not offered. Circuit City responded to the suit by stating that the company complies with state law.

Years ago Best Buy had a huge share of customer complaints but the company seems to have cleaned up their act to serve the customer better. Complaints and problems have seen a recent significant de

here is a link to read more
http://clarkhoward.com/cgi-bin/htdig/htsearch

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bought a 51swx20b back in Dec 02 (think it was $2599 plus free delivery). I found that the manual convergence was messed up (would not hold settings at all), and after talking to Hitachi they told me to exchange the set. CC was more than helpful. The second set arrived and was worse than the first one, tilted picture, geometry issues, and the same manual convergence problem. CC took the set back with no problems. They even offered me the Sony KP57WV600 for only $100 more, but i declined the offer. Had they carried Toshiba i would have bought one from them. I think i had to pay ~$40 for a delivery fee, but for for using the set for a total of 45 days or so i didnt care. I didnt have people hounding me about the extended warranty (which i didnt want). The salesman just asked once, and he was the only one who asked.

I ended up buying the toshiba from BB (ugh....) because i got such a good deal, but of course i had to hear about how i needed the extended warranty from 6 different people. One guy even told me "the 'tv bulbs' drop down 3-6mm every 6 months, and this needs to be adjusted to have a good picture and it can damage the set, our service plan covers these adjustments" and when i said no he said "youre going to pay $300 every 6 months to have it adjusted?". Followed by "my house/apartment/parents house/friends house got stuck by lightning and the TV was fried and the BB warranty covered the sets" from these same knuckleheads. My wife was laughing as we kept hearing the same BS over and over.

When i bought my set at CC this was before they cut the commisioned sales people so i dont know how much it changed.

just my 0.02

-j

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mattburk
ntode, here ya go, this is one of many quotes

Circuit City

Clark usually doesn't name company names for individual consumer complaints, problems or other situations, but will name a company if the problems become chronic and are frequently repeated to show a pattern.

Clark named Circuit City today as having a great share of customer service problems. The marketplace is speaking in a direct way to the retailer and are turning away from doing business with the company. Sales are down 25%. The state of Michigan is suing Circuit City for a pattern of advertising product but not having the proper inventory to offer consumers. Rain checks are not offered. Circuit City responded to the suit by stating that the company complies with state law.

Years ago Best Buy had a huge share of customer complaints but the company seems to have cleaned up their act to serve the customer better. Complaints and problems have seen a recent significant de

here is a link to read more
http://clarkhoward.com/cgi-bin/htdig/htsearch
Wow, I guess this just goes to show how differn't people will have different experiences. I will only shop at CC now. I HATE BB and will not go there anymore. I am so angry with.......... well anyway, lets just say I don't like to shop there anymore.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jamesgf

When i bought my set at CC this was before they cut the commisioned sales people so i dont know how much it changed.

just my 0.02

-j
are CC employees not on commision anymore?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have not had any major problems with CC but have had many issues with BB. I recommend you try out Rex Stores if you have one in your area. They will not be beat in price and are willing to deal. They also have a 5yr service plan that they negotiate on also. They were friendly and willing to work with you. I almost bought a set because of this but I could not make up my mind on which one and the more I research the harder the decision seems to be. They do carry Hitachi.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've only had one customer service issue at CC, and it turned out well.

I'd bought a large hard drive there on sale (I didn't normally shop there thanks to a lingering DIVX boycott) to add to my tivo. I got it home and let it sit unopened for about 10 days. When I opened the (shrink-wrapped) box, it contained a 1.2G drive that had obviously been pulled from an old computer instead of the 120G drive that I'd purchased.

I immediately went back to CC, turning over thoughts in my mind, gearing up for an argument; I expected to be hassled.

I have a rule in customer-service areas that I'll ask very nicely once and get Very Nasty if I'm getting the runaround. I never had to get Very Nasty. The store manager listened to my tale of woe, admitted that stores in San Antonio had recently been having the same problem - a customer would buy a hard drive or similar device, remove the new one, replace it with an old one, and re-shrink-wrap the box before returning it.

I had no proof that I wasn't the one trying to rip off CC, but the manager happily gave me a replacement drive off the shelf (which I opened in the store to verify the capacity).

No hassles, and the manager ensured that I'd consider buying at CC more frequently. (Though they didn't have any Sammy DLPs when I looked, so they didn't get that business.)

So, your mileage may definately vary with CC stores.

Shopping online or being willing to travel an hour or two to a nearby town to save some money might be worth it. You could do what I do when I shop for cars - fax/call all the stores in a certain radius: "I want to buy the following, and pay $X for it. Please fax/call me back if you're interested". Would you travel 50 miles to save $400? I would :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I bought my 57SWX20B at CC and got a great price I believe at $2400. Delivery was $70 and I bought the 4 year extended warranty. I even got a free dvd player.

I agree its differennt from store to store. Even at the same store, it depends on who you are talking to. Even with the same guy, it depends on the time of day or whether its a full moon or not.

If I get a negative experience, I will write to the district office and complain.

Leo

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.