AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Too bad, though. Not only have I preferred CC to BB, but the loss of competition will not make BB better. Now the liquidators will come in, jack everything back up to list price and then mark it 20-30% off, so no deals to be had either.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
That sucks.....while I personally have boycotted CC since their lawyers tried to horn in on the DVD business plan.....They will be missed for the needed competition.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I thought this was old news?

·
Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/15571381

I thought this was old news?

Not so much old news as a foregone conclusion when they reentered chapter 11, followed by the closing of many stores across the country.

When they closed one of the Charlotte stores, I visited the store twice, hoping to find bargains. Alas, the liquidators were milking it for all that it was worth. No deals, since many prices, though advertised at 20% or more off, were equal to CC's regular selling prices. Expect the same thing to happen chain wide now.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hello Denon 789 or 889... and maybe if the wife is nice, I'll probably get me a new front and center speakers as addition to my Energy Take 5! Now what speakers would go well with it. Can't go with Towers since I don't wanna clutter that kitty-corner and have everything blocking the open area like I did with my old projection set up. Polk T100's good enough?

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I went to the buy from the first round of closings, the discount was off original pricing. You could get a better deal at Bestbuy.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholly /forum/post/15571437

Alas, the liquidators were milking it for all that it was worth. No deals, since many prices, though advertised at 20% or more off, were equal to CC's regular selling prices. Expect the same thing to happen chain wide now.

this is the exact type of reason they are history...

RTR

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMAVADER /forum/post/15571601

this is the exact type of reason they are history...

RTR

Well, technically, CC is not the ones conducting the liquidation. From what I understand, it's managed by a third party.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgilbert /forum/post/15576155

Well, technically, CC is not the ones conducting the liquidation. From what I understand, it's managed by a third party.

That's not what I meant...
For example, several big chain electronics stores have policies with their extended warranties, that when they go unused, at the end of the contract that you get money back to use again. Instead of Circuit City trying to compete with this over the last year, they have instead doubled their prices on their extended warranties (for AVRs anyway). You go in their stores and things are unhooked, wires are all over the place, speakers are broken, it's dirty. They have good products but they have consistently been one of the most unorganized places in electronic sales over the last five years. And on top of that, they laid off all their employees that actually knew anything two years ago. Even if it was all two of them, they got rid of anything holding them together when they did that.

RTR

·
Registered
189 Posts
Between attempting to inflict the DIVX dvd scheme on everyone in the late 90s, and doing a really crappy job of installing my car stereo in 1994, yeah, I will not miss them any. Of course, there isn't one up here, so there's that.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I feel bad for the people losing their jobs in this economy and the loss of competition for BB. Competition is good for the consumer. But I do agree that every CC I've ever been in has felt like a second rate, bargain electronics store(dark, disorganized and canabalized display areas). Even though I buy most small electronics at BB, having CC around did save me about $30-$40 a piece on two large memory cards because BB price matches CC. Which goes to show you how things will go without competition...

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun /forum/post/15578007

I feel bad for the people losing their jobs in this economy and the loss of competition for BB. Competition is good for the consumer. But I do agree that every CC I've ever been in has felt like a second rate, bargain electronics store(dark, disorganized and canabalized display areas). Even though I buy most small electronics at BB, having CC around did save me about $30-$40 a piece on two large memory cards because BB price matches CC. Which goes to show you how things will go without competition...

I agree with you Run and Gun. At CC right by my office that I would walk to on occassion was dark and not really disorganized but weirdly displaying areas were hard to navigate, but from a business standpoint fewer costs would lead to higher profits. I'm more of an fan of CC than BB. But dont totally hate on BB. BB is too big for its overall size in my opinion but had a way better layout than BB. So it is back to BB for me. Living in Atlanta with HhGregg there was just to much competition for CC to survive. I guess I can shread my rewards card cc now.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My heart goes out to all the employes and their families. I am very sad about the loss of Circuit City. It's an indication of the corporate culture today. We have got our priorities wrong in this country. What happens when the only place left to shop is Walmart? We wont be able to buy anything but the junk that they sell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
and there was me hoping to grab a bargain - off to Best Buy then!!!!

Stu

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I, for one, will not miss CC.

In my local store, the poor display was only out done by the poor store employees.

Calling these guys crooks would be a disservice the guys in jail.

RIP scumbags!! It took awhile, but the consumers eventually caught on.

·
Registered
577 Posts
This is horrible news for the consumer. Whomever doesn't miss CC and doesn't realize why this is bad for us, soon will when Worst Buy inflates all their prices and has fewer store sales since there is no competition left.

Oh well, off to ABT for my gear, and Amazon for my media!

·
Registered
70 Posts
i'm at cc right now, logged on through one of their pc's that's on a wifi connection.

my brand new denon 788 took a dive last night, 1 week old open box, got it for 299. so i was going to call the local cc and find someone that had one more when i saw the liquidation sale starts today.

for the time being, they've taken all items that were on sale and marked them back to full price, then the start marking them down.

we've got a 888, 689, 789, and 889 over here on the shelf. but their only discounting the receivers off 10%. So the 888 is $499 plus 10 leaves us at $450. I think the 889 is $799, so that'll be around $720 w/ the 10% liquid sale.

Anyone been to one of these closeout sales? Do they let the prices sit for a couple days then drop another 10% till the item sells?

Seriously, I'm debating getting my 788 back, already returned, the manager wouldn't work a deal w/ me at all, he'd rather give me my money back then knock down the price on the 888. So if i got the 788 back I'd have to send it back to Denon, I wonder how long something like that takes, plus i have to cover the shipping to denon fee, yea?

1 - 20 of 132 Posts