AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
"The clearance of third-generation HD DVD players was said to be inadvertent". Seems odd that a retailer would inadvertently print clearance price tags. Perhaps they juist changed their minds.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Seems odd that a retailer would inadvertently print clearance price tags. Perhaps they juist changed their minds.

As a former CC computer salesperson, I can say with certainty that mistakes like that occured when I was an employee. Coincidence for HD-DVD this time? Maybe. Maybe not.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Geib /forum/post/12991197

As a former CC computer salesperson, I can say with certainty that mistakes like that occured when I was an employee. Coincidence for HD-DVD this time? Maybe. Maybe not.

I saw the clearance tag in my local CC. It eactly matched the internet photos and was printed, not handwritten. Who prints these tags and who decides what goes on clearance?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can say there were numerous times when a sale flyer went out, someone came in the store looking for the 'bargain' system printed in the flyer, and they learned once they got to the store that the 'bargain' system didn't actually exist. (We would sometimes end up selling the system at the printed price anyway, but at a loss.) Most of the time we knew when mistakes were made in a sale flyer, but we could get caught off guard.

I don't know how things work today, as that was about 13 years ago.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Geib /forum/post/12991274

I can say there were numerous times when a sale flyer went out, someone came in the store looking for the 'bargain' system printed in the flyer, and they learned once they got to the store that the 'bargain' system didn't actually exist. (We would sometimes end up selling the system at the printed price anyway, but at a loss.) Most of the time we knew when mistakes were made in a sale flyer, but we could get caught off guard.

By flyers, I assume you mean newspaper inserts. The production and distribution of those involves (in addition to CC's marketing dept) the retailers advertising agencies (creative and media buying) and also the newspaper publication's printing and ad sales departments. Its easy to see how an error can be made.

In the case of the player "clearance", this involved someone at CC's HQ having sales tags printed and distributed directly to stores and instructing the store staff to display them with the players. Aside from the printer, no external companies would be involved.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
In the case of the player "clearance", this involved someone at CC's HQ having sales tags printed and distributed directly to stores and instructing the store staff to display them with the players. Aside from the printer, no external companies would be involved.

I thought we printed our own tags in store when I worked there, but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Wow, there are still Circuit City stores in operation? I haven't been in one since DIVX.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Wow, there are still Circuit City stores in operation? I haven't been in one since DIVX.

Yeah. You can find them within 2 blocks of a Best Buy, and they carry HD-DVD movies and software. How cool is that!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well, whatever the case was, it can only be good for sales that they sold A3 for $100 with the free movies. Even with the clearance tag, it doesn't look like it hurted the format at all.

·
Banned
4,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striderprime00 /forum/post/12991941

Well, whatever the case was, it can only be good for sales that they sold A3 for $100 with the free movies. Even with the clearance tag, it doesn't look like it hurted the format at all.

Toshiba can quietly sell a couple of million of these things. Everyone needs a DVD player or 4 and the A3 is a good one. Plus, they play HD and you can buy 3 for the price of a BD player to cover those other rooms. Then, it's a game again...

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Geib /forum/post/12991439

I thought we printed our own tags in store when I worked there, but I could be mistaken.

You may be correct. I wasn't sure on that point. However, the tags in my local store did look identical to the photos on the web.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim GoodBooty /forum/post/12991967

Toshiba can quietly sell a couple of million of these things. Everyone needs a DVD player or 4 and the A3 is a good one. Plus, they play HD and you can buy 3 for the price of a BD player to cover those other rooms. Then, it's a game again...

I bought an A3 last weekend at CC for $100. However, I will never buy a HD-DVD disk - this is where Toshiba loses. They are selling a player at a price of an upconverter (that is what I bought it for). I am not buying HD-DVDs though. I have a PS3 for Bluray and I have bought 35 BDs till now.

·
Registered
7,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant /forum/post/12991231

I saw the clearance tag in my local CC. It eactly matched the internet photos and was printed, not handwritten. Who prints these tags and who decides what goes on clearance?

My personal guess is one of two possibilities: there was a directive handed down to certain stores to put them on clearance which was a mistake/miscommunication from corporate; or they changed their minds and have agreed to keep restocking the HD DVD players.

Either way it's good news for the HD DVD camp that CC is apparently not dropping their hardware. Retailers play a big part in this game from here on out.

Brandon

·
Banned
4,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai /forum/post/12992075

I bought an A3 last weekend at CC for $100. However, I will never buy a HD-DVD disk - this is where Toshiba loses. They are selling a player at a price of an upconverter (that is what I bought it for). I am not buying HD-DVDs though. I have a PS3 for Bluray and I have bought 35 BDs till now.

Never? That's a big claim with the exclusive movies out there. I guess I won't buy any more BDs and cancel you out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I bought an A3 and an A30 this last weekend. I sold my A2 to a friend. Since both players came with 2 movies I gave a set with the A2 as part of the price. All in all happy with all the machines I have bought so far. Be interesting to see what Toshiba and the big box retailers are up to. No sweat for me either way, as I own both formats.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

Quote:

... I will never buy a HD-DVD disk - this is where Toshiba loses... I have a PS3 for Bluray and I have bought 35 BDs till now.

and what specifically does this have to do with CC statement on HD-DVD? Nothing really more like flame bating!

why is it so hard to stay on topic???

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:

I bought an A3 last weekend at CC for $100. However, I will never buy a HD-DVD disk - this is where Toshiba loses.

Why? It's so naive. Stopping yourself from watching Transformers, Bourne trilogy, Mummy.......... because you loyal to whatever format. C'mon

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.