AVS Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22,270 Posts
I skimmed through a Netflix copy yesterday. I thought it looked very good, though not really "blu-ray quality". Still, better than expected and very well restored.

I'm also in the camp that can't stand to watch this film all the way through. It's just too dreary. A perfect cure for insomnia though.

·
Registered
21,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/20948628

I skimmed through a Netflix copy yesterday. I thought it looked very good, though not really "blu-ray quality". Still, better than expected and very well restored.

I'm also in the camp that can't stand to watch this film all the way through. It's just too dreary. A perfect cure for insomnia though.

I have always loved Citizen Kane, largely because of Welles' meanspirited portrayal of William Randolph Hearst's analog, Charles Foster Kane. Hearst was reputed to be kind of a monster, so I admit to taking perverse pleasure in his portrayal at the hands of Welles and his screenwriter, Herman J. Mankiewicz. My opinion of Hearst was made even lower because of his well documented campaign to suppress the film.

I thought the film's version of Marion Davies, Susan Alexander Kane, was unfair, though. The film portrayed her as a drunk and a dim bulb. In fact, Davies had savvily saved her money throughout her film career and lent a great deal of it to Hearst during the depression, an act that saved Hearst's publishing empire.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts