AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
14,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Well, this got boring quickly. Feels like this is some kind of "camp" version of other tv-series castings and plots.
In the original the characters were much more interesting, I was really into most of them, including the Frankenstein creature, and pretty much everyone else. In this version, I am interested in just the two evil and good characters, the rest I am finding boring and I can't get invested into them. This started REALLY good, now they need to move things along and expand the mythical universe more. I miss the original.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
I'm all caught up, including tonight's episode 7. I've enjoyed this for the most part, but the pacing is really starting to drag.

I really don't get why Magda/Elsa is going to so much trouble in her manipulations with Dr. Craft. He was already a Nazi and smitten with her, so it seems all she had to do is say, "I'll have sex with you if you do this, this, and this for Hitler." I do hope there's some kind of payoff that explains why she had to do it this way. I assume it has something to do with Craft's youngest son, but I can't imagine what. Maybe she just hates gerbils?

Sister Molly is probably the most interesting and sympathetic character at this point. I also really like Nathan Lane in this role, but not happy with how he sold out that kid to protect Tiago's brother.

Tonight's final scene made me wish we were given a bit more world-building background about Santa Muerte and Magda. I'm mostly confused about what they're all about and just not feeling it either way as the paranormal/horror component that makes this a Penny Dreadful spinoff.

·
Registered
14,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I stopped watching it about half way through, will finish the episode some other time. It was soooooo slow I just couldn't take it anymore. Nothing was happening, he was just watching him surf.... riveting. Talk and talk. Becoming really disappointed in this and it is a shadow of its awesome lineage.

·
Registered
26,486 Posts
Well, this show really lost steam at the end. I thought the finale was going somewhere with the race riot at the beginning, but then the episode just petered out in the last half hour.

Sister Molly's suicide was very abrupt. The German doctor storyline went nowhere the entire season. I thought he was a Nazi when he was introduced, then he wasn't a Nazi, but at the end decided to become a Nazi. What was the point of any of that?

Vega's final line breaking the fourth wall and speaking directly to the camera was just too much.

I assume John Logan is hoping for a second season, but I don't think this show has anywhere near the buzz the original Penny Dreadful did. I enjoyed it mostly for the period setting and atmosphere, but now that HBO's Perry Mason has the same setting and comparable production values with a more interesting story (so far), I don't see much need for more of this one.

Interesting that both shows have nearly identical characters in Sister Molly and Sister Alice. I assume they're based on a real person, but I guess I don't know my history well enough. (Edit - I found an article about it: Is ‘Perry Mason’s Sister Alice Based on Real Life Evangelist Aimee Semple McPherson?)

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Well, this show really lost steam at the end. I thought the finale was going somewhere with the race riot at the beginning, but then the episode just petered out in the last half hour.

Sister Molly's suicide was very abrupt. The German doctor storyline went nowhere the entire season. I thought he was a Nazi when he was introduced, then he wasn't a Nazi, but at the end decided to become a Nazi. What was the point of any of that?

Vega's final line breaking the fourth wall and speaking directly to the camera was just too much.

I assume John Logan is hoping for a second season, but I don't think this show has anywhere near the buzz the original Penny Dreadful did. I enjoyed it mostly for the period setting and atmosphere, but now that HBO's Perry Mason has the same setting and comparable production values with a more interesting story (so far), I don't see much need for more of this one.

Interesting that both shows have nearly identical characters in Sister Molly and Sister Alice. I assume they're based on a real person, but I guess I don't know my history well enough. (Edit - I found an article about it: Is ‘Perry Mason’s Sister Alice Based on Real Life Evangelist Aimee Semple McPherson?)
I actually thought the show was just starting to get interesting the past few episodes, then poof.

I agree with almost everything you said, but I thought Sister Molly's death was 100% predictable the second she started going on about running away with Tiago (obviously he was never going anywhere, nor was she without Mommy Dearest's permission). And the suicide aspect was set up when she showed her scars from a previous suicide attempt and talked about how torn apart she was inside.

The most anticlimactic part of the episode was how things ended with them trying to sneak the genius kid out of LA. I fully expected a big confrontation with the Nazis either at the Vega family home or somewhere on the road. And then poof, a pee break and then a couple gunshots seen from a distance.

I too loved the period atmosphere and setting of the show, but Sister Molly and Fly Rico were two of the most colorful and interesting characters, aside from Lewis. I would probably check out a second season if I happen to have Showtime sometime down the road for some other reason (though without Homeland, don't know why I would anymore).

·
Registered
26,486 Posts
The most anticlimactic part of the episode was how things ended with them trying to sneak the genius kid out of LA. I fully expected a big confrontation with the Nazis either at the Vega family home or somewhere on the road.
Yes, a confrontation where Michener was forced to kill the kid so the Nazi wouldn't get him would have been more interesting and exciting than the "Look at the flowers" thing we got.

I get that Michener was scared of the kid's description of a nuclear bomb, but the Manhattan Project's still going to happen regardless. Killing this kid isn't going to stop that. The only reason to kill him is if there was an imminent threat he might be taken by the Nazis, but Michener didn't know that Nazi was on his tail.

The kid was pretty oblivious to other people's behavior the entire season, but was he supposed to be on the autism spectrum? He seemed especially Rain Man like this episode.

And then poof, a pee break and then a couple gunshots seen from a distance.
Speaking of which, why did it take two shots for Michener to kill him? He was one foot away. Is he really that lousy a shot? Are we supposed to think they had a struggle?

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Yes, a confrontation where Michener was forced to kill the kid so the Nazi wouldn't get him would have been more interesting and exciting than the "Look at the flowers" thing we got.
lol. I knew what was coming the second Lewis said, "Look at the stars."

I get that Michener was scared of the kid's description of a nuclear bomb, but the Manhattan Project's still going to happen regardless. Killing this kid isn't going to stop that. The only reason to kill him is if there was an imminent threat he might be taken by the Nazis, but Michener didn't know that Nazi was on his tail.
Michener couldn't have known about the Manahattan project either. But it's still surprising he would take it into his own hands to "save the world" in this way given that the kid seemed to be a good person otherwise and redeemable. In the right hands and with the right guidance, he could've made important contributions to help the U.S.

Speaking of which, why did it take two shots for Michener to kill him? He was one foot away. Is he really that lousy a shot? Are we supposed to think they had a struggle?
I saw it as a double tap to ensure he was dead.

·
Registered
26,486 Posts
lol. I knew what was coming the second Lewis said, "Look at the stars."
I thought it was pretty clear what was going to happen as soon as the kid started yapping about making a bomb and Michener's eyes went wide.

Michener couldn't have known about the Manahattan project either.
Yeah, but he had to realize that this kid isn't the only brilliant scientist in the country. If he's thinking about it, other people way above Michener's pay grade would be working on it as well.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
By the way, the remark at the end about the city building walls rather than freeways was pretty spot on if not historically accurate. There was an opinion piece in the LA Times last Wednesday titled "Want to tear down insidious monuments to racism and segregation? Bulldoze L.A. freeways"

Here are some excerpts:

But as L.A.’s population surged from 320,000 in 1910 to more than 1.2 million in 1930 — including tens of thousands of African Americans from the Deep South — white Los Angeles decided it was time to ramp up its own brand of Jim Crow segregation.

But neither the Klan nor legally dubious covenants nor flagrantly unconstitutional land grabs were arguably as effective as the automobile and its attendant infrastructure at turning Los Angeles into an intentionally segregated city.

When the 1944 Federal-Aid Highway Act allocated funds for 1,938 miles of freeways in California, planners used the opportunity, with full federal support, to obliterate as much as possible the casual mingling of the races.

Local officials rerouted the elaborate designs of freeway engineers — often at considerable expense — to destroy thousands of homes in racially diverse communities. As detailed by Gilbert Estrada in “If You Build It, They Will Move,” mixed-race Boyle Heights was gutted by freeways. Despite a mandate to avoid parks at all costs, planners put lanes through the middle of Hollenbeck Park while spending millions to reroute around a park in the white suburb of San Dimas. Dozens of Boyle Heights homes were destroyed just to give white suburban shoppers easier freeway access to a Sears department store.

When L.A. communities of color rose up in protest at the destruction of these neighborhoods, they were ignored. White areas like Beverly Hills and South Pasadena, meanwhile, successfully fought off freeways planned through their neighborhoods. As noted by Estrada, only 61% of L.A.’s planned freeway network was built as a consequence. This created immediate traffic bottlenecks in the system, which have lingered to this day.

Much of this freeway construction was in service of a suburban housing boom that was explicitly segregationist.

Freeways created physical barriers that made any non-white presence on the “white” side of the road conspicuous — and thus easier to target by law enforcement. One 1943 freeway marketing pamphlet, designed to win over reluctant white communities, boasted of the freeway’s fortress-like impermeability and ability to preserve “neighborhood character.”

·
Registered
26,486 Posts

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I can't determine if she flits from one character to another, or simultaneously is all her characters at once. If the first, a lot of people are thinking where'd she go?

·
Premium Member
8,914 Posts
During the final riot of the season, two of her characters where there at the same time and actually looked at each other, at which point the spawn child screamed.

Reactions: Josh Z and Zookster

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
During the final riot of the season, two of her characters where there at the same time and actually looked at each other, at which point the spawn child screamed.
That was so wild. Magda 1 and Magda 2 giving a sign to each other and then the kid, who I suspect is part of Magda, screams. . Remember when he was absorbed into Magda 3's body outside Pete's house. When Peter pulled the Iron Cross from his drawer and put the band around his neck I figured that he fought with valor in WWI. He was the son of a major arms manufacturer and probably could have sat the war out. If there is a season 2 I hope that they go into his back story a bit more. I enjoyed this season. The ties between church mama, the sleazy councilman and the Nazis was good stuff. The last two episodes were very good. The scenes in the club with all of the dancing and Tiago's family was great. The riot scene on Sunday was also well done. Maybe it's just me but Natalie Dormer looked fantastic in her zoot suit. I'm sure that once the whiz kid started describing the atomic bomb and its destructive power with such glee you just knew that Lewis was going to off him. But I think it was for two reasons. Obviously the greater global impact was one reason bit I also felt that Lewis was also fearful that it could be used to eradicate the Jews. He did know what was going in in Germany and two of his oldest friends were killed by Nazis. I saw enough quality in S1 to hope that there is an S2. I mean how could you not want to see how Lewis and Tiago defeat the Nazis and vanquish Magda?

·
Premium Member
8,914 Posts
That was so wild. Magda 1 and Magda 2 giving a sign to each other and then the kid, who I suspect is part of Magda, screams. . Remember when he was absorbed into Magda 3's body outside Pete's house.
Magda 3 is the councilman's aide. The kid was absorbed into Magda 2 in the elevator outside the doctor's office.

·
Registered
14,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
First episode started awesome, sort of dropped off after that, but this last episode was really good. Curious to see how the second season goes and I hope they introduce more of the mythology like in the original Penny Dreadful. Even though I didn't like a lot of the middle episodes, it is still really well acted. The characters are played so well by everyone.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Too bad it was such an Anti-ending ...
Nothing happened.
Killing the Bomb kid seemed too forced and out of character for the cop.. The Nazi spys went nowhere...
The doctor plotline virtually went nowhere, there didn't seem to be any lead up to anything really ...
** I would have rather seen a " West Side Story " type musical number in the Dragon club of good vs evil characters, as the finale :)

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Too bad it was such an Anti-ending ...
Nothing happened.
Killing the Bomb kid seemed too forced and out of character for the cop.. The Nazi spys went nowhere...
The doctor plotline virtually went nowhere, there didn't seem to be any lead up to anything really ...
** I would have rather seen a " West Side Story " type musical number in the Dragon club of good vs evil characters, as the finale :)
The evil gang could have been all Magdas vs maybe a gang of Santa Muertes. Nothing like sister on sister crime. :D

81 - 100 of 106 Posts