AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
for the little part of the end that I saw, it looked great. Tough ratings draw going up against Survivor and X-Files for me.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Mark, it looked very good to me. Great film, I've seen it before, my congratulation to HDNET for airing it. One question: why do you have to insert audio drop-outs over the four letter words? No other cable network does it. It is distracting and kind of Walt Disney-esque. Otherwise, I have no complaints.

Love HDNET!

John

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yes it looked great, however the muting on the cuss words also was very distracting. Although the biggest downer of the movie was when Lucy Liu was doing her little "dance", and the picture was blurred out in a "couple" of strategic places.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Here is to hoping that HDNet will have unedited movies for the premium channel (HDNet Movies).:D

·
Registered
619 Posts
I hope that HDNet will change its policy and not follow the OTA networks in bleeping words and blurring scenes that might bother Aunt Bee down in the bible belt.

Kids should not be watching HDNet in a sports bar (since they're underage), and the language at most of these places is a lot more expletive than you hear in most movies.

At home, owners have the ability to lock out channels they don't want their kids to watch. If they don't, it's not the broadcasters' fault.

When TMC started up they were advertising classic movies, uncut. I caught a part of Equus, I believe, and was more distracted by the pixelization of the "naughty bits" than I would have been by the original picture. I've not watched TMC since then.

If HDNet goes the same way, I suspect I'll stop watching them, too. I'm an adult. I can either watch adult content or turn it off. But I won't watch a satellite service that pre-censors shows for me.

Rick

·
Registered
761 Posts
I would think as long as HDNet is "free" as part of a choice package, censors hold it to the same standards as the rest of those channels. If you want adult content, I'm afraid you would have to pay for it like the premium channels. I'll take free sports and occasional PG movies over another pay channel anyday. Thanks Mark!!

Terry

·
Registered
29 Posts
Keep in mind that HDNet is shown at retailers around the country to promote HDTV's, and for some folks shopping for a TV is a family affair.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
That's right! No store will demo a channel that is not politically correct and that does not censor stuff that remotely can be offensive to some people. I believe that when Mark get's his private channels that they will be like the other premium movie channels but the first one on 199, Mark has gone to great lengths to promote this channel to many retailers around the country. HT and BD may be about as far as HDnet will push the envelope for the retailers.

OK, so I understand about why it was done, but the bottom line is I flip channels when I see this just like I do when I hear the canned laughter. It annoys me to no end, so I won't watch it.

Sorry, Mark. I support you but can't watch censored movies just as some people can't watch a little "pink" or hear certain words without getting upset. I do respect them and hope they respect my freedoms as well.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GhostDog69
Keep in mind that HDNet is shown at retailers around the country to promote HDTV's, and for some folks shopping for a TV is a family affair.
OK, if the answer is that this is still a preview channel (it's not shown anywhere in my town!) then my suggestion is to stick to preview material - not feature movies. Much as I hate to say that, because I really love movies like COI, it pains me more to watch a butchered film.

John

·
Registered
33,556 Posts
I saw a bit of the movie and thought the transfer looked quite good (although I've certainly seen sharper ones). Was this in the OAR ?

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Speaking of store demo, yes I don't think the movie itself is even suitable. Too much violence for little kids standing in front of the TVs in the store. Once Mark's premiums come out such movies will go there I think. But then HDNet will be useless without content.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
The 3 premiums will be Movies, Sports, and Entertainment. The original HDNet channel will then be a demo channel. So it will have content.:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great transfer and a fine film. It was a real treat. I didn't have as much problem with the censoring as some other folks do.

I am looking very much forward to more quality films commercial free.

Thanks Mark.

PS: Even though I'm a born and bred Knicks (now Nets) fan ("Debusschere from the top of the circle, YES!!") I really enjoy watching your gun and shoot Mavs.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I watched a little and thought the transfer was very good. Not the best I've seen (e.g. your "Over ..." series, "Proof of Life" on HBOHD was excellent). I thought the shots that had some shadow were a bit too dark.

The reason I surfed away was because I caught it in the middle -- although I would have swtiched anyway once I realized it was edited.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.