AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think we might want to do differently from below when using DVI?

Bob

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"2. Not really a separate step, but easier to discuss separately. I further increase contrast ratio by letting the green and blue DLP elements run further open (green and blue contrast turned up). Normally, you have to restrict the green and blue output to compensate for the blue-green light which the lamp produces. That correction to D65 robs the projector of about 30 to 40% of its actual potential contrast range. By letting the green and blue contrast run higher than will produce D65 I allow the DLP modulation to have a larger difference between its on state for 100 IRE and its off state. More contrast is achieved and but grayscale becomes blue green. Here's is where the magic of step 3 comes into play.

3. Add a Hoya FL Day filter in front of the projector. This cuts green and blue back down to allow D65 to be achieved with the green and blue DLP gains to be wider open. The overall light output is also dropped by the filter, but there is plenty of light anyway. The combination of FLD filter + recalibration to d65 with the filter in place drastically darkens blacks and bootst contrast ratio. There may be other filters which more efficiently white balance the lamp, but this is the one I am using. I taped it to the front of the lens, but tilt the top of the filter out to allow air circulation.

After that, a lot of work needs to be done to calibrate the projector. I'm still working on my own. The correct settings will vary from unit to unit. Fed via S-video I am using the following.

User Setting based on Movie

Picture

brightness -18

contrast 30

color 38

hue 30

sharpness 9

Gamma correction : Dynamic

Color correction:

red 0, green 0, blue -1, yellow 6, magenta 0, cyan 0, color gain -4

White balance

Brightness red -14, green -1, blue 0

Contrast red 158, green 128, blue 149

Picture Enhancements

SweetVision Low

Black Expansion 3

Contrast Enhancment Off"

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
you got me Bob.

it'll be a while before i see what DVI looks like with this pj so i can't even begin to imagine.

i'm looking forward to your impressions of the Momitsu, though.

i tried Guys settings again last night (interlaced this time) and i wasn't entirely satisfied. i want my whites a little purer/colder.

i was using AVIA also for a while , but right now i'm so sick of looking at that picture managment menu , i havent turned it on all day :p

what was frustrating was, that i could get the picture looking damned nice for certain shots, but then the scenery changes and all of a sudden it looks too dark, too red, too green, too light, etc, etc.

biggest problem seems to be flesh looks a little to red

i'm going to pop in Superman next time and use that to eyeball the settings.

the blue yellow and red of the costume are almost perfect primaries so you can easily tell when one or more of the colors are off, and then you have skin tones in the same shot to keep you on track.

right now, i'm going back and and digging up Tom's various settings in old threads, and will try some of those out.

there was also some posted from , i believe, Bill Cushman as well.

most of these are for interlaced inputs though, and i think i like the picture a hair better with progressive at the moment.

have you got your filter yet?

using Guys as a starting point, its still probably gonna take a while to stumble across the right settings with it, but that filter already looks like it will make a big difference- especially in regards to the creepy crawlie crud.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been bad and haven't ordered a filter yet. But now I will.

Should have the Momitsu before the weeks out. But was double bad and waited until today to order a cable. Am going to feel pretty silly staring at the Momitsu for severals days and wondering what the picture looks like. :)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
:D

yeah, anybody can buy the player.

it's popping for the cable that really smarts.

i meant to ask you- just how off were the settings when you got it? what areas were you changing the most when you started recalibrating it?

did you go back to the factory defaults first?

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I screwed with changing everything except the individual color settings.

But I wasn't paying attentiion enough to tell you exactly where I'm at now.

I shelved it until I can connect the Momitsu. Been using the X1.

When the Momitsu gets here I'll reallly get serious again (Colorfacts and all).

I'm basically a very lazy person. That's another reason I'm very fond of the X1. It's a lot more point and shoot than this thing.

·
Registered
19,077 Posts
" It's a lot more point and shoot than this thing " -

Really? I thought the HT1000 was supposed to be pretty much good to go right out of the box!? I'm using Tom's Colorfacts settings for DVI and the factory " movie " setting for component 480p from my RP56. Thought it looked excellent either way.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dunno. Maybe it's just me, Craig.

My experience with all the DLP projector pictures I've seen (with two exceptions) is I'm wowed at first but then I start to see the warts.

I've only had one round with this one so I'm not through yet.

Black is great. Rainbow is no longer a problem. But I'm not thrilled with the picture itself at this point. I'm going to wait until I can see what the DVI looks like before I go any further with it.

btw, those two exceptions were the Davis DL450 and the X1. Liked both pictures right off the bat and learned to like them more over time. I actually got to thinking yesterday that there must be something about

the SVGA ones. But then I remembered how gosh awful the LP340 picture was and dismissed that thought.

·
Registered
19,077 Posts
DVI is better. Last night I discovered HDTV is way better still. Sadly, as good as DVD is, the warts may lie there, no matter what you do to the pj. I say that having watched HDTV Monday Night Football last night in stunned amazement. My fiance was blown away at the picture. I hate to say it, but when they come out with a new DVD format that has the resolution of HD, it will make a bigger difference than a better pj from what I saw last night!

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I envious. I can't get ABC HD yet. Only thing I've seen so far is Leno. It looked very good. But I'm having some issues with using my DTC100 with it. I've got to get rid of that ancient *#*+*#* thing and get something better.

·
Registered
19,077 Posts
To be honest I didn't have a clue about HDTV until after I bought my HT1000 and then discovered this website. I then heard Rush Limbaugh talking about how great MNF was on HDTV, so I called Comcast. Took those knuckleheads 2 trips to bring the correct HD box. So I kind of fell a** backwards into HDTV. It might turn out to be the best part of Home Theater! And my sweetie being a big pro football fan is now a big HDTV home theater fan. All it took was last nights game!

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Craig - do you get local HDTV with Comcast, and how about ESPN, Discovery HD? Are you happy with it, and what's the upgrade cost from basic? I may go DirecTV, trying to decide, I haven't seen my HT1000 do HDTV yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
19,077 Posts
Mark, it was ( for the next few months anyway - on sale ) $5.00 more a month for digital cable and another $ 5.00 for the HD box in lieu of a regular digital cable box. We live in the foothills near Placerville, so it's cable or nothing ( haven't checked out Dishnetwork etc. ). I believe we only get 4 HDTV channels at this time, but I'm still figuring things out ( last nights football was a major breakthrough for me )- ABC, NBC and 2 new dedicated HD channels. Still worth it in my opinion. I am still on the exploratory HDTV learning curve though!

·
Registered
19,077 Posts
SD tv on a video projector is terrible - better to watch a regular TV. Those 4 HD channels though are real eye openers. After the game " Full Metal Jacket " was on one of the new HD channels and I watched a few minutes - I'm sold on HD. Took all of 3 hours to convince me!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
was in BB taking something back last night, when i saw they had the Samsung DVI player for $300 and an open box for $270.

very tempted to go back today and pick it up and see what some of the fuss is about.

after 14 hrs, watched my first full movie on it (with almost no tweaking- although i ended up throwing everything back to factory defaults after it was over)

i think i've got some good setting for use with the filter and component progressive.

but achieving decent skin tones seems to be a problem.

i'm usually pretty happy with every other aspect of the picture, but the skin tones seem to come off a little too hot.

dropping the gain and/or color settings down i can get skin right, but everything else becomes too washed out.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
"I'm using Tom's Colorfacts settings for DVI and the factory " movie " setting for component 480p from my RP56. Thought it looked excellent either way."

Craig you got it. First the Bravo and those posted numbers produce a wonderful color pallet with the blacks & whites where they should be. Also using a basic player and using the Movie setting produces a very similar color palate, except that the Bravo has done away with the VCR type artifacts you get with an analog player.

Here's an analogy, when Dan first brought colorfacts over we spent several hours adjusting the grayscale with the Bravo D1 but weren't there yet. Just by chance I moved to the factory 6500k and Dan thought this was the direction to go and was surprised that he was duped by the stock settings, although there was to much brightness.

So basically the palate of the stock settings stays true to what 6500k should look like. Also when HT-mag ran a test on the stock movie setting they got a perfect 6500k. They stated no further adjustments were needed. That grayscale tracking is Much better than any other projector I've seen them test.

I've had the FL-Day filter since I got the projector and on my large screen never liked the dimness it added. Remember Guys's using a tiny 60" screen so everything's brighter to start with. There's no way you can use his numbers unless you opt for the same small screen.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i must be turning Japanese because i'm not digging the 6500k color temps.

i much prefer moving it to 7xxxK or 8xxxk.

to me, the 6500K looks like you've already added the filter...kind of a dim, rosey/orangish haze without any of the other (placebo-like?) benefits.

Tom,

you've tried the samsung dvi player, haven't you?

anything i should be looking for?

i realize the ee issue and forced aspect ratio of the player- anything else i should be aware of?

anyone know if i should be using single or duel link cable ( i bought both just in case).

i bought an open box this morning, so i won't feel so bad if/when i lug it back.

even found a package of cable that was 'open box'.

i talked to one of the sales men who said he has one hooked up to his 36" Sony.

he said "not to expect a big difference on comedies, but on expensive movies like LOTR and the Lucas stuff i should notice a big difference".

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
I do use 8500k Video for some video like MNF. You get that digital look of maroon reds a little purple and floresent blues.

But for Movies you can't best Movie/6500k. Just so you know the factory gamma for Movie/6500k is Black Detail.

Pop on a movie like Panic Room or the Shire scene and it should look great. If Black Detail looks to bright natural isn't too bad.

"The HT1000 using the 931 a strong green push was noted.

Here's some white balances I did for the 931 and HT1000

which you may like.

User 1 Movie

Gamma Natural

Brightness R minus 5

Brightness G minus 1

Brightness B minus 1

Contrast R 120

Contrast G 90

Contrast B 95

This made the flesh tones more vibrant and did away with the pale green. I used the Shire scene to tune in a similar look to what colorfacts gave us with the D1."

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the Momitsu in yesterday. I connected it's analog DVI to my CRT projector last night and that looked good. Tonight I'm going to try it's component 720p and component 1080i with the HT. Can anyone suggest some projector settings which might work well with that?

Bob

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
It should look just ok using components but you really need your DVI-cable. You hv to use my settings with the momo, it to pushes the brights through DVI.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.